First Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2001, 08:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up First Oil Change

First Oil Change

Well I did my first oil change yesterday and it went very well. I had heard some horror stories on the boards here about not being able to get the filter off and about how oil got everywhere after taking the filter off.

I don’t know if Ford actually changed their design on a few things or if I was just lucky but the change was incredibly simple. I had no problem getting my filter wrench on and in taking the filter off. There was no mess because there is a plastic catch basin and a kind of slide the collects any oil that leaks from the filter and channels it down past the front differential. I just put the oil pan under I and it worked great.

The truck had 3,300 miles on it and I used a Mobil 1 filter and 5w20 Pennzoil oil.

This was the first oil change I have ever done where I actually didn’t spill one drop.

One problem that I am having though is with the dipstick; it is very hard to see exactly where the oil is on it. On the checkered side it is illegible but on the opposite side I can get a reading. I put in 5 and a half quarts and from what I can tell is about an eighth of an inch up from the beginning of the checkered mark or the lowest mark. The manual calls for 6 quarts but the dealer told me to put in 5.5 so that it wouldn’t be over filled. I know its not overfilled and it can’t be under filled because I’m sure a check oil light would come on.

Anyway, if anyone has any information on how to get a better reading on the dipstick I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

9/19/01

2001 F-150 XLT 4x4 Sport, regular cab, short bed, Black

Old 09-19-2001, 11:28 AM
Re: First Oil Change

Originally posted by 2001 F-150 SPORT
. . . it can’t be under filled because I’m sure a check oil light would come on . . .
I'm not an oil expert, I'm sure someone will come on-line that is and bring you up to speed on everything you ever wanted to know about oil . . . in fact, in you do a search you will most likely find it . . . !

However, I can tell you this - do not trust your check oil light for anything other than making sure the little light works . . . same for any factory gauges you may have - repeat do not trust them!

Old 09-19-2001, 03:03 PM
Put 6 quarts in it, that's what the manual calls for. I put 6 in mine and it brings it to the full mark. That dealer sounds like a moron telling you to only put 5.5 quarts in so as not to overfill. Follow the owners manual and you should be ok.

Old 09-19-2001, 03:14 PM
Smile

Yea your right, I'll throw in the rest of it tonight. I mean I let it drain till there was nothing left, not even drips.

Now I can really see what this truck will do, I was kind of taking it easy on it till the first change. She chirps 2nd like a champ. I haven’t tacked it out past 4 grand, seemed like it had more left. The manual says nothing about where the red line is, it just said not to keep it at 6 grand or it will cause damage. I'm guessing that 4-5 is yellow and 5-6 is red.

I love this truck, and I love smoking other trucks with it.

Old 09-20-2001, 11:46 PM
2001 F-150 SPORT: The truck had 3,300 miles on it and I used a Mobil 1 filter and 5w20 Pennzoil oil

HAHahahaha i swear to god thats good...
buy a 10 dollar oil filter.. and then by 89 cent oil!

AHSahahahAHFhahha

I swear to god im really laughing my *** off!

Old 09-21-2001, 07:07 AM
Moose,

It was the only brand I could find in 5w20 you but nut, I figured if I got a good filter I could make up for the less than high quality oil. I don't think Pennzoil is going to hurt anything, I'll just change it before 6k.

Thanks for your comment though. Keep them coming.

Old 09-21-2001, 03:53 PM
Smile

I say use whatever brand of oil that you want as long as it is a name brand and you change oil at designated intervals. I use Mobil Drive Clean or Valvoline. Alot of guys think that you have to use 4.00 a quart synthetic oil. I work with many people that have trucks with over 150000 miles and some over 200000 miles and they have never used synthetic oil and are still running strong. Stick with name brand quality and change at 3000 miles and you can't go wrong.

Old 09-21-2001, 04:20 PM
Thank you sig shooter, I agree.

I have always used Castrol GTX or Quaker state in my previous vehicles.

I guess moose man crawled back into whatever hole he came out of.

Old 09-21-2001, 08:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post oil brands

I'm in the habit of using Castrol GTX and a purolator pure1 filter. Changes come at intervals of 3K to 5K miles . I had over 150,000 miles on my last truck when I sold it and who knows how much further it went?

Many on this site use and advocate use of synthetic oils, and I'm sure they are superior in some ways but my routine has served me well so far. I am considering synthetic trans fluid after my shift kit goes in cuz the changes are many miles further apart.

My $.02

Old 09-23-2001, 12:43 AM
I have always used penzoil in all my vehicles. I have never had any problems to date. I dont plan on changing either.

Old 09-23-2001, 02:49 PM
Back to your problem though, I've posted several times about that crappy dip stick. I can never get a good read on either side of the dip stick. Putting in the correct amount of oil is a joke, but checking it from time to time is more frustrating with these stupid rope things.

Old 09-24-2001, 07:02 AM
I have found that the only way I can get an oil reading that is partially visible is if I let it sit overnight and then check it on the first try. Any time after that first try is useless. I guess you just have to go on blind faith.

That’s my only real complaint on this truck.

Old 09-24-2001, 08:48 AM
The best way to keep the dipstick readable is to not change the oil. Take it from me, at 17,000 miles that oil is very readable. Lol!

Old 09-24-2001, 03:54 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

Try this on your next oil change. When you are ready to add the new oil, start by putting in only 4 quarts, wait a few minutes for the oil to get to the pan and check the dip stick. Most likely, you won't see anything. Add another quart, wait, check again.

On my rig, at 5 quarts, oil just showed at the very bottom of the stick. Now I know that I at least have 5 quarts in it if it ever gets to that level (which it will never do because I check it once a week.) Then add the sixth quart. This should bring it up to the middle of the "MIN-MAX" range. This is all you need. To bring it up to the MAX, it takes like another 1/2 quart. Not enough to make any difference in protection on way or the other, but "could" overfill it IMO.

The capacity of the oil pan is 6 quarts (at least according to Ford), so by knowing where you are at 5 quarts will tell you where you should be at six. (even at 5 quarts you have enough oil to maintain protection, just fill it up soon!!)

Just my own process and has worked for me. I also just use dino Pennzoil and have for many miles and vehicles. Never an oil related problem (KOW).

Just use whatever makes you feel good. If that's synthetic, nothing wrong with that. If it's dino oil, great. Just stay away from the "No Name" brands or ones that are actually .89 cents a quart (Pennzoil is usually $1.50/qt).

Old 09-24-2001, 04:11 PM
MitchF150,

Good post, great tip . . . just something I never thought about doing . . . !

Many thanks for the tip!

Quick Reply: First Oil Change