Old 04-14-2013, 04:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
radiator problems with my F-150?

Truck specs
1998 F150 4x4
4.6 L V8
Automatic transmission
179,000 plus

Need some help/answers from some vets with my radiator problems with my F-150?

I had transmission fluid overflowing in my Degas bottle so I called around and got some quotes on how much it was to replace a radiator. Too my shock one placed quoted me $810 down to $510. I’m not rich so I wanted to do it myself.

Removed cooler line on old radiator, removed Degas bottle and 3 other hose that attach to the system a total of 5, 3 rubber and 2 steel lines (cooler transmission lines). Cleaned out degas bottle before new replacement of new system installed.

Flushed transmission fluid as it was almost pepto bismol looking in color and replaced the transmission filter. Put Merc V back in system and filled to the correct level.

Installed new radiator replaced all lines flushed system at least 7 times at 15 min intervals. The problem I’m having now is degas bottle is still getting some transmission looking pink fluid in it. Not a lot but I’ve did a system flush and the transmission fluid is pepto looking color again.

So my question is could I have gotten a bad radiator or could I have screwed this up? I hoping you can provide me with some answers. Thank you

Crypto.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:08 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Has your Transmission fluid level changed? I might think if it can get into the radiator it could go the other way and get into the transmission. I've never heard of a breach like that either way. I would really be worried about coolant in the transmission more then tranny fluid in the radiator. The odds of you getting a bad Radiator with the same problem are astronomically remote.. I might pay for a professional flush and just to be safe I would probably change the transmission fluid to.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by jethat
Has your Transmission fluid level changed? I might think if it can get into the radiator it could go the other way and get into the transmission. I've never heard of a breach like that either way. I would really be worried about coolant in the transmission more then tranny fluid in the radiator. The odds of you getting a bad Radiator with the same problem are astronomically remote.. I might pay for a professional flush and just to be safe I would probably change the transmission fluid to.
No Jet the level has not changed just the viscosity has changed the color. From I’ll call it for a lack better term red to pinkish in color. After installing the new radiator I took the truck for a ride about 5 miles in total and check to see if I had the same problem.

Last time the Degas tank was over flowing with fluid and it was very heavy and thick. Now all seems stable, but not quite right. I’m wonder if there was some left in the lines that didn’t get flushed.

Thank you for the reply. I will look into a flush for both transmission and radiator, really frustration at this point in the project.

I was hoping it would be fixed when I replaced the radiator and drained the transmission.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:14 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Crypto
No Jet the level has not changed just the viscosity has changed the color. From I’ll call it for a lack better term red to pinkish in color. After installing the new radiator I took the truck for a ride about 5 miles in total and check to see if I had the same problem.

Last time the Degas tank was over flowing with fluid and it was very heavy and thick. Now all seems stable, but not quite right. I’m wonder if there was some left in the lines that didn’t get flushed.

Thank you for the reply. I will look into a flush for both transmission and radiator, really frustration at this point in the project.

I was hoping it would be fixed when I replaced the radiator and drained the transmission.
Its pretty hard to get everything out of cooling systems using backyard flushing methods.. I've had situations where someone put stop leak in the radiator. Almost impossible to get all that crap out of there..

Old 04-14-2013, 09:55 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
How did you "flush" the tranny fluid? How did you "flush" the cooling system?

Old 04-14-2013, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by glc
How did you "flush" the tranny fluid? How did you "flush" the cooling system?
Tranny fluid I dropped the belly pan on the bottom transmission and drain all fluid in reservoir removed and replaced filter with seal. Removed Degas bottle and clean out with degreaser. Let it drain out of system 1.5 hrs in drive way. (1.5 because I took a nap with my little boy) how I know the time lol

Flushed radiator by pulling out drain plug on new radiator unit also removed block drain plugs as well. Flushed system with unit on several times. Once I seen clear liquid coming out stopped unit and let unit drain out. Did this a few times and drove around my block. Once back I checked degas bottle seen pink fluid in unit. I went to shop got a bottle of radiator flush and flushed unit again following the steps above.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:35 PM
Id definitely be concerned about the trans.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:06 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
You only got about 1/3 of the tranny fluid out with a pan drop - you also have to drain the torque converter.

Quick Reply: radiator problems with my F-150?