Getting new cams, phaser limiter or lockout?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 12:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting new cams, phaser limiter or lockout?

I plan on replacing my camshafts with the frpp hot rod cams or possibly the thumpr cams from comp. This is because my cam phasers, guides and tensioners are already clicking and clacking and I'd like to do it all at once. I'm trying to decide if I want to limit or lockout the phasers. Is there a way I can check if the phasers are truly shot as to make my decision to limit or lockout not such a shot in the dark? As of now I'm thinking conservatively and towards limiting. Any and all advice is welcome.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:58 PM
Does anyone have experience with the lockouts or limiters? I am in the same position as the original poster.
Thank you, Tod

Old 02-19-2012, 12:03 AM
With the ford racing hot rod cams you do not limit or lock out the phasers! When the mechanic installs the cams he can tell if they are bad and need replaced.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:06 AM
I personally went with the frpp hot rod cams, sound alot better than the thumpers and don't require you spending more money on the limiters. I've had my cams going on almost 2 years without any trouble.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can just go with a lockout on the phasers to prevent the phaser noise down the road when they start rattling. You will need a custom tune to get the best performance and to prevent the codes that will occur when PCM senses that the VCT is not functioning. Also if your in a smog check area you could have issues meeting emission checks without the VCT functioning. If it were me I would go with lockout vs limiter since the limiter still allows about 20degrees of VCT and won't prevent the dreaded diesel sounds when the phasers start failing.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:28 PM
Thanks to everyone for the replies.
I am in an area that requires emmision testing, so that rules out lockouts.

Was there enough power gain from the cams to make it worth the money?
Did you have to get a custom tune to match the cams?
Thank you,
Tod

Originally Posted by bankrpt
I personally went with the frpp hot rod cams, sound alot better than the thumpers and don't require you spending more money on the limiters. I've had my cams going on almost 2 years without any trouble.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:43 PM
Yes I love the cams and yes you will need a custom tune. With either a sct or Diablo tuner but most every tuner does sct. Where are you located?

Old 02-27-2012, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by bankrpt
Yes I love the cams and yes you will need a custom tune. With either a sct or Diablo tuner but most every tuner does sct. Where are you located?
I live in Denver.

Quick Reply: Getting new cams, phaser limiter or lockout?