WTF is this?? HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 08:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
WTF is this?? HELP!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSIdxQ7_sQo

hello everyone, hop i got ur attention with the video above^

so its made this noise for the past couple of weeks and it hasnt really kicked in till recently. i did the gotts/dwv mod a couple months ago and my mom thought it was because "i change parts around" well just for kicks i threw the stock snorkel back on and i still had the noise....if i were to pin point where the sound is coming from it is in between the engine and the radiator. it can be heard loud and clear inside the cab windows up no music. what could this be? i am still under the 3 year "bumper to bumper" warranty and the 5 "powertrain" warranty ford claims to give yah when you buy new.
i am posting this here as well as under 04-08 truck, mods can move this thread if posted in the wrong place accordingly.

any thoughts or ideas on what may be the problem, im goin tommorow morning to the dealer to hear what theyve got to say about this

Old 11-06-2010, 09:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Is there a kazoo in there?

Old 11-06-2010, 09:26 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Iduno, -PS pump maybe?

Old 11-06-2010, 09:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power steering fluid is probably low. The dump truck I drive for work does that same thing when the fluid is really low, even when you're not turning.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Stealth
Is there a kazoo in there?
very funny stealth lol wut is it a musical instrument?

Old 11-06-2010, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by jbrew
Iduno, -PS pump maybe?
PS pump, power steering?

i did a search yesterday at school and a member had the description in sound, but his truck was a 98

Old 11-06-2010, 10:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
98's have power steering too.

Trending Topics

Old 11-06-2010, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by Stealth
98's have power steering too.

Fine Style, go check your power steering fluid though before you drive it anymore. If you say you've already driven it for a couple weeks like this, then you could actually need a new pump by now if the problem was little to no fluid in the reservoir.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:09 PM

power steering fluid is above the middle line....plenty...trucks only got 22,900 something hitting 23,000 miles

Old 11-06-2010, 11:25 PM
ive seen alternator bearing failure on these and also a lot of idler bearing failure take the belt off and see if its still there

Old 11-06-2010, 11:40 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Assuming that the noise is there while in neutral, take the belt off and see what ya get. It sounds more like alternator to me but none of us are really there to hear the ACTUAL sound and all computer speakers are different. If the noise quits with the belt off, you've narrowed it down to those accessories. A dowel stick, or a broom handle pressed against the palm of yer hand with yer ear against yer hand with the stick placed on the part will transmit the sound to you- kinda like a homemade stethoscope except thru a stick.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:59 AM
Originally Posted by jhunt47
ive seen alternator bearing failure on these and also a lot of idler bearing failure take the belt off and see if its still there
X2

Sounds like my alternator when the bearing went out. Fool your friends and tell them its a supercharger
Mine would turn into a really high pitched whine at high rpms

Old 11-07-2010, 01:02 AM
Could also be your water pump getting ready to explode LOL no you really need to get under the hood and try and see whats going on. Be careful though, a few years back a friends circle track car was making funny noises like that. When he had his face near the motor the water pump actually did explode in his face. broke his jaw, knocked out 8 teeth, broke his nose, and required over 200 stitches to sew his face back together.

So you might with the "engine off" and the negative terminal disconnected from the battery, remove the belt and see if any of the components that the belt comes in contact with seem gritty, loose, or just otherwise toast.

best of luck.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:18 AM
Originally Posted by Labnerd
Assuming that the noise is there while in neutral, take the belt off and see what ya get. It sounds more like alternator to me but none of us are really there to hear the ACTUAL sound and all computer speakers are different. If the noise quits with the belt off, you've narrowed it down to those accessories. A dowel stick, or a broom handle pressed against the palm of yer hand with yer ear against yer hand with the stick placed on the part will transmit the sound to you- kinda like a homemade stethoscope except thru a stick.
X2. Great advice. Since power steering wasn't the culprit, narrow down the rest of the belt driven accessories.
How have all your gauges been? Erratic engine temp could mean the water pump failing while fluctuating volts and/or battery light on dash could mean the alternator not working properly.

Hopefully its not your transmission.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:19 AM
Originally Posted by jhunt47
bingo, we have a winner...... i knew a heard that sound before chang out your idler pully and tensoner pully and the sound should magically go away.

Quick Reply: WTF is this?? HELP!!