Fan clutch life

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 07:28 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Fan clutch life

What kind of fan clutch life are you guys seeing on the Triton series of engines? If you've had to replace it, what brand did you use? Has anybody replaced theirs with a Hayden? Just looking for numbers on the expected mileages and what folks are using for replacements.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i've never had to replace one on a triton yet. i've worked on trucks with the original fan clutch with over 300,000miles. but as far as fan clutches in general, so far i havent seen one fail from napa or oreilly's. did yours go bad?

Old 06-23-2009, 09:55 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I wouldn't say mine is bad but the A/C has never worked right even though many dealers and shops all claim the pressures are right. I pretty much lose A/C at an idle and if the temp is around 85F with high humidity. You might as well turn the freakin thing off as you aren't going to get any cool air. The only time it gets cold is when it rains and you're are driving into it. But everybody says that's normal- BS! I figure I might as well start with wearables and throw parts at the darn thing until I can get decent A/C. But this clutch cycles on cold start up like it's suppose to and I have no rise in the temp gauge- stays normal and doesn't move. It pulls air at idle but it seems to not be near enough. I was just wondering if and when fan clutch failures were common on these Tritons so I'd have a clue if mine is going south. I asked about the Hayden as I put one on my girls Cougar years back and it would just about suck you thru the grille at idle. It also didn't cause fuel mileage to drop like I expected. My brothers 2008 GM truck is the same way- it moves LOTS of air at idle. Mine with the hood closed you can hardly feel air going thru the grille. Open the hood and you can feel air being drawn thru the radiator/cooling system but it doesn't seem to be enough. And I've always had this problem with this truck and the fan clutch has always worked the same way since mile 1.
Anybody got any ideas I'm open to suggestions.
2004 SCrew, 4.6, 91,000 miles now

Old 06-24-2009, 09:44 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
For some reason the AC systems on these 04-08 trucks are not as powerful as they should be. I wonder how the 09's are?

Old 06-24-2009, 11:18 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
You could try efans.
You could find an aftermarket fan clutch that engagues at a lower rpm and/or temp.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:20 AM

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I really wish the f150 could be able to do the high-idle mod. When you get the engine up to 1100 to 1300 rpms, she blows cold. I've experimented with it.

There has to be a way... if the gas and diesel Super Dutys can do it, then we should be able to do it.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by ManualF150
I really wish the f150 could be able to do the high-idle mod. When you get the engine up to 1100 to 1300 rpms, she blows cold. I've experimented with it.

There has to be a way... if the gas and diesel Super Dutys can do it, then we should be able to do it.
Starting in 08 they installed a pcm controlled electric fan clutch. Wonder if that improves the ac also?

Old 06-24-2009, 02:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fyi

I replaced my original around 135,000 miles.
I replaced it with a Hayden and it was stupid loud at idle.
The mechanic I sold it too replaced it with OEM and its nice and quiet.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:06 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Why not install a small E-fan in front of the condenser and trigger it with the A/C, leaving the stock clutch fan on?

Old 06-29-2009, 05:05 PM
glc that is a great idea for the op and it works. the aux electric fans work great for helping out the a/c while sitting at idle. i used to have problems with my a/c getting warm while sitting in traffic at idle on hot days but after i added the fans i can sit at idle all day long and the a/c blows cold. i havent had anymore problems since a year ago when i put them on. the clutch fan just doesnt pull enough air across the condenser to keep the a/c blowing cold on hot days untill it switches itself on high speed but it doesnt stay on high for very long.

Old 06-29-2009, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by 88racing
Starting in 08 they installed a pcm controlled electric fan clutch. Wonder if that improves the ac also?
my 07 has a pcm controlled electric fan clutch but it doesnt really do anything to help out the a/c it only turns on high speed for about a min or 2 when the coolant temp gets up around 198 and then turns itself off again and the fan speed goes back down to barely turning and pulling little air across the radiator and condenser.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by jrfonte
my 07 has a pcm controlled electric fan clutch but it doesnt really do anything to help out the a/c it only turns on high speed for about a min or 2 when the coolant temp gets up around 198 and then turns itself off again and the fan speed goes back down to barely turning and pulling little air across the radiator and condenser.
Thanks for the personal experience info!
Thought the electric clutch would at least help out more than a fluid one. Now I know. LOL

Thanks

Old 06-30-2009, 12:26 AM
a correction to my previous post the fan switches to high speed at 194 ect and 202 cht so it said on the scanner i had connected to it when idleing this afternoon. i have the aux fans set to come on with the high speed on the engine clutch fan at the same temps and a/c compressor.

Quick Reply: Fan clutch life