Coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 04:53 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Coolant leak

Guess what I have......

Now I need to pull the intake manifold off to fix it. Not happy.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:51 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Man, that one's a b^tch to fix. Didn't Neal have to do something with that Stem on his 99 ?

You going to try threading the hole. I have a ton of brass fittings. I gottuh a couple stems, but I'm not sure their the right size. I'll see if I can find something that's one piece you can thread in, unless you have an idea on what you want to do..?

Old 02-12-2009, 10:57 PM
JMC

Tap and thread is about all that can be done. I got some of that magic putty stuff for Christmas that I might try....

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 02-12-2009, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by JMC
Tap and thread is about all that can be done. I got some of that magic putty stuff for Christmas that I might try....

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier
Magic Putty? - Idunno man, you might want to go over the directions once or twice real good, just to make sure it's plyable. - Specially if it came from the wife

Old 02-13-2009, 12:22 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Suck.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:01 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i suppose you have big hands so you couldnt do that in place?

Old 02-13-2009, 08:46 AM
JMC

Originally Posted by Klitch
i suppose you have big hands so you couldnt do that in place?
I will try to tap it in place and if I can't I will remove the intake. Removing the intake is not all that difficult. While I am at it I'll pull the plugs too.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 02-13-2009, 08:50 AM
JMC

Originally Posted by jbrew
Magic Putty? - Idunno man, you might want to go over the directions once or twice real good, just to make sure it's plyable. - Specially if it came from the wife
Magic putty. You have to knead it for it to stay firm.......

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 02-13-2009, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by JMC
Magic putty. You have to knead it for it to stay firm.......

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier
Oh , okay - Like that gas tank repair - It works on wet or dry surfaces.. That's scary. Not so much on the heat, but the pressure if it gets past the threads. It shouldn't get past the threads tho.

Are you sure it's leaking at the manifold fitting ? That return hose has that brass reducer inside right ? The reducer slows flow thru the core but pressurizes that hose before it hits the manifold. It's not coming the clamp joint, - leaking down on the manifold? It does look like it's coming from the manifold fitting in the pic tho. Did you presurize or see it leaking there while running ?

Well, I think I might try manifold mendor if I used anything - It's a little pricey, but it's the only stuff that I tried in the past that actually worked. Comes in a little Orange and White jar at auto zone. It's a mixture of fine metal particals and epoxy and fills those hairline cracks well. I used it on the exhaust before and had to grind the sh^t off after deciding just to weld it all solid lol.

A guy over in the SVT site taped a cross over, I think Klitch did this as well, not sure what they used, but I believe they built up the metal before tapping. CTC (Camarothatcould) had to fix his as well. He used a series of brass nipples,angles and reducers lol - But it worked.

I would think you would use a progresive thread tap, but my ECT isn't tapped that way. It's tapped like regular pipe thread and taped/thread doped from the factory.

Good luck - Hope it doesn't happen to me any time soon, I just got the damn thing back together.

BTW - I bet you 50 bucks you don't tap that without removing

Last edited by jbrew; 02-13-2009 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:50 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
thats just the return hose for the throttle body warmer, you could always bypass the whole system, and plug the fitting off solid.

My warmer is bypassed, but i just have a hose running across from front to back of the manifold. Should be 1/4" rubber hose IIRC.

Good luck.
-Patrick

Old 02-13-2009, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
thats just the return hose for the throttle body warmer, you could always bypass the whole system, and plug the fitting off solid.

My warmer is bypassed, but i just have a hose running across from front to back of the manifold. Should be 1/4" rubber hose IIRC.

Good luck.
-Patrick
Really, yours is set up that way? My model, the body warmer is tapped into the supply line tube (yea 1/4"). That fitting he has leaking cools the head. - There's a water jacket back there.

Last edited by jbrew; 02-13-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:04 PM
JMC

Good luck.
-Patrick
Nope, it is the feed line coming off of the intake manifold. It is leaking where the fitting is inserted into the manifold. My throttle body heater was bypassed when I installed the 5.4.

The reason that it is leaking is because I was lazy. The heater hose was leaking. Instead of removing the clamp and cutting about an inch off where it was leaking I just loosened the clamp and pushed the hose over the fitting till it was past the split in the hose. This put undue pressure on the fitting and now it leaks.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:05 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
My warmer is bypassed, actually dont even have the fittings on the TB anymore, but i think it was just that one fitting, Maybe it was T'ed into it, its been a while since i looked back there...

Old 02-13-2009, 03:15 PM

My warmer is bypassed, actually dont even have the fittings on the TB anymore, but i think it was just that one fitting, Maybe it was T'ed into it, its been a while since i looked back there...
Yea, mines T'ed in the 98. The warmer port is intergrated with the hardline running from the back of the pump. JMC has me thinking I may have the return and feed flow confused ? I might! Regardless, the 1/4" line is tapped directly into the line that sits on top of the block cavity coming from the pump. At least that's where mine is, I just replaced that hose last month.

Last edited by jbrew; 02-13-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:40 PM

I cut my hoses as well. I had both Feed and Return clamped on top for awhile. They kept loosening up on their own up there for some reason. They would start to leak /I would tighten again, but they the clamps began to cut into the rubber or strip.

This time I installed these -

These gave me another inch or so - allowing room to cut the hoses back. The instructions said not to clamp these in, but I did anyway - Lightly.

Used expansion clamps this time, these won't cut into the rubber and they go with the flow more less (expand/contact) -

So far no leaks, but I've hardly drove the truck since. I've took it out 3 or 4 times maybe, just up town and back.

Last edited by jbrew; 02-13-2009 at 03:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Coolant leak