Project Go Fast 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 01:12 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice. It looks like most of the bottom end is there.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ONELOWF
Nice. It looks like most of the bottom end is there.
Bottom end is pretty much done...Next step is filing the rings which will probably be next week, about to have to travel for work for a few days.

I still gota figure out something for an intake. I haven't contacted the HPS guy but I was hoping since it never happened with the other guys who were promised a free one to try out, maybe I could at least get a discount or something in exchange for some free advertisement. I doubt it will happen but it's worth a shot. I'm almost ready to order heads and cams.....

Old 12-23-2009, 06:07 PM
I finally got around to filinig rings. For anyone who hasn't done this before, it's no where near as easy as you would think. I'm pretty patient and usually take my time and can manage to get things right, but this is pretty difficult to get a square gap and not to file off too much. The key here is going SLOW and checking over and over!!! It takes some real talent...and learning by making mistakes is not an option at $200 a set of rings.

I like to keep everything organized and separated so nothing gets mixed up.

My homemade ring dept gauge. This actually works great! You can get your fingers in behind it and pull the ring up if needed and it's wood so no scratches. Make one for the top ring and one for the second ring depth. It's actually a Home Depot paint stick.

Ignore the dirty cylinder, I just stuck the wring down in the top for demo purposes. I really coat it down with oil every day to keep it from rusting and it has threads from the rag in it, the weather and temp fluctuations are really causing a lot of humidity and this is the only way to stop the rust. It is cleaned before ring filing and will be really cleaned before final assembly.
This is what it looks like before filing. I'm opening the first and second ring gap up to .025" per Akerly & Childs spec sheet based on low 20's psi of boost. Most of the new techniques are actually opening up the second ring more than the top to keep the top one seated. It supposedly keeps pressure from building up between the two and causing the top ring to flutter and come off the cylinder walls at high RPM's.

Should be done in a day or so then will be able to install pistons and have a complete short block.

Last edited by derrick929; 12-23-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looking good

Old 12-24-2009, 03:43 AM
Good job! I admire your patience. The depth gauge is cool.

Old 12-24-2009, 03:50 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
creative depth guage

continue to take your time and you'll have a quality short block in no time

Old 04-02-2010, 01:32 PM
Ok, I know everyone thinks I've forgotten about this project but I've been patiently waiting.....still no decent intake yet and some interest showing about making a new one so I've been holding off. Heads and cams kinda depend on what develops with the new intake ModularHeadShop is trying develop enough interest to build.

In the meantime, here's the latest addition waiting to be installed.

Dirty Dog 3,100-3,300 RPM 11" stall.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:40 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
^^^ nice choice

Old 07-20-2010, 11:36 PM
Ok, I know you all thought I had forgotten about the build or that I really wasn't going to finish it. However, I'm still waiting on parts. The FedEx guy finally brought this to me today. Now, if Trick Flow would just ship the heads to the head shop so they can port them. I've had heads on order since March or April if I remember. Cams are ready to go, just waiting on Trick Flow. I had to cancel an order for a set of valve covers from TF due to their casting orders being so far behind, I got tired of waiting and just painted a set of stockers that turned out pretty nice.

This intake is heavy duty! It is a sturdy piece, very heavy. If anyone is running nitrous, this would be the intake. I'm sure it would survive a heck of a backfire.

I think the next step will be sending this to ExtrudeHone for a little extra help in the flow department.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:37 PM
Got an email from ModularHeadshop.com that TrickFlow finally shipped the heads and once they get to the shop and worked over, they'll be on the way to me. Hopefully only a few more weeks before the final assembly of the engine and it's in the truck.

This arrived Friday, a custom ASP Racing pulley. The stock pulley is 6.75" just to give you an idea of how much it will increase the rpm of the supercharger.

Also started working on port matching my intake before I send it to Extrude Hone. This is how it should have come from HPS. I"m not done yet, will be putting the finishing touch on the runners after I finish the first pass on all of them.

Also started piecing together my fuel system which will go on after the break in period and the old plastic intake comes off. Trick Flow Fuel Rails by Aeromotive. I sold the blue fittings, I'll be using all black rails, fittings, and hose.

Last edited by derrick929; 08-14-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:02 AM
Looking good man!!

Old 10-23-2010, 10:44 PM
FINALLY!!!!! After months of waiting, the finally arrived. Now I can start the build.

A set of ModularHeadShop ported TF heads with high comp springs and Bullet Racing Cams.

Hopefully in the next few weeks I can get everything assembled and ready for install. Can't wait to get everything installed!

Last edited by derrick929; 10-23-2010 at 11:05 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:50 PM
If you don't mind how much those heads and cams set you back?? I am going to be building my 5.4 here soon.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by five0merc
If you don't mind how much those heads and cams set you back?? I am going to be building my 5.4 here soon.
These are the stage 2's.
http://modularheadshop.com/heads/tfsheads.htm

Old 10-23-2010, 11:25 PM
That's great...glad to see it coming together.

Quick Reply: Project Go Fast 2