I broke the starter AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 03:49 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by McLovin
You shouldn't need a receipt, the store should have your warranty info in the computer.

Alright buddy, you just saved me $166.. Hell, I didn't get you nothin for Christmas :o Sorry Hey , yuh want a set of Autolites w/40 miles on them ? That was mean wasn't it ..

Yea, I didn't think of that at all, - Going in the store with a rusty starter that didn't work/ no receipt and walking out with a new one , free.. It worked! No money exchanged and no jail time. I came right up on their computer.. Among everything I purchased there , that has warrenty .. Mann, I spend way to much on this truck....

Nah!

Thanks again Mc.

Look at that bottom wire ... Looks like I wasn't the only one having probs with the starter. Not for them to add that little goody. I was going to do something like that this time, but Bosch beat me to it. That's cool , now I can take it apart all I want ( ;

Last edited by jbrew; 12-22-2008 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What injectors are you using and where did you buy them. (orange injectors)

Also why are you switching to Denso plugs. What is the advantage over MC's.

On your starter, that bottom wire, is it a butt/splice connector or a quick disconnect connector.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clear coat it and coat the contacts and terminals with dielectric grease that should keep it from corroding up on ya and looking so fugly

Old 12-23-2008, 11:59 AM
Suspended
Originally Posted by jbrew
Alright buddy, you just saved me $166.. Hell, I didn't get you nothin for Christmas :o Sorry Hey , yuh want a set of Autolites w/40 miles on them ? That was mean wasn't it ..

Yea, I didn't think of that at all, - Going in the store with a rusty starter that didn't work/ no receipt and walking out with a new one , free.. It worked! No money exchanged and no jail time. I came right up on their computer.. Among everything I purchased there , that has warrenty .. Mann, I spend way to much on this truck....

Nah!

Thanks again Mc.

Look at that bottom wire ... Looks like I wasn't the only one having probs with the starter. Not for them to add that little goody. I was going to do something like that this time, but Bosch beat me to it. That's cool , now I can take it apart all I want ( ;
Nah thanks man. My bosch's are good for another 50k No way in hell i'm gonna mess with them in this weather! I know they say bosch's are BAD for my 5.0L, but it's never skipped a beat.

I was glad my advice saved you $$$, but i'm sure someone would have mentioned it. Oh well. Have a great holiday :santa:

Old 12-23-2008, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by tjk_in_cny
What injectors are you using and where did you buy them. (orange injectors)

Also why are you switching to Denso plugs. What is the advantage over MC's.

On your starter, that bottom wire, is it a butt/splice connector or a quick disconnect connector.
Those are stock Crown Vic injetors from the Romeo Plant. Nothing special except their Type 3's. = Better spray pattern. I've been running that set since 05.

Running Denso's because the trucks getting tuned next month. finally. Wanted a better plug .

Motorcraft doesn't have a fine wire for my set up.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:15 PM

Well I got the down in front - doin everything I can think of before I tune. Mann this is takin forever. The holidays have passed, so it should go faster now. -

I'm going over the main harness now, had it hanging in the laundry room to warm it up, but everybody kept running into it. Told them to use the front door, but they can't seem to remember - Kids! Need to fix the heat in the shop - Freakin cold out there!!

I did the trans harness and the lights harness. Wires were broke for the horns, other than that I had quite a few bare wires. Replaced a few connectors and fixed the wires.

Last edited by jbrew; 01-03-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:08 PM

Manifolds done, have to take more pics - this one turned out tho -

I knifed the top of the separator instead of removing. Removing won't be of any benefit yet anyway. - Hopefully the light port/polish will help some. I had to re-surface the heads and manifold @ the water jacket ports. - Very pitted/bad - ground them out and filled w/aluminum filler/plained down and surfaced. I'll replace both next plug change,- if she runs another 50.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:07 PM
Manifolds done, have to take more pics - this one turned out tho -

I knifed the top of the separator instead of removing. Removing won't be of any benefit yet anyway. - Hopefully the light port/polish will help some. I had to re-surface the headswhat do you mean by this, re-surface the heads. Did you pull your heads as well as the manifold and manifold @ the water jacket ports. - Very pitted/bad - ground them out and filled w/aluminum filler/plained down and surfaced. I'll replace both next plug change,- if she runs another 50.
Did you do the plaining and surfacing or did you send it out. I'm jealous if you have your own mill. I keep telling the wife that I'm going to hit some machinery auctions and drive home with a Bridgeport one of these days. I have over 20 years exp. using them but don't own one, go figure. The only thing stopping me is a new addition on my barn, with new concrete and some heat. I could do alot of work if I owned one. The favors would be pouring in if I had one.

Picture looks excellent, nice work.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:21 PM

Did you do the plaining and surfacing or did you send it out. I'm jealous if you have your own mill. I keep telling the wife that I'm going to hit some machinery auctions and drive home with a Bridgeport one of these days. I have over 20 years exp. using them but don't own one, go figure. The only thing stopping me is a new addition on my barn, with new concrete and some heat. I could do alot of work if I owned one. The favors would be pouring in if I had one.

Picture looks excellent, nice work.
Thanks

Yea , you find allot of good sh^t at those auctions - the best is th school auctions - seen quite a few bridgeports,surface grinders,laths go out the door their.

But No, I resurface the manifold and heads (only @ the manifold port areas) with a palm sander - perfect for minor surface prep. - Now if my stuff was warped, I would have to send it out. These two surfaces need to be completely clean and free of contaminants or the gaskets won't work. Material removal is very minimal here.

Last edited by jbrew; 01-11-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:11 PM
nice work looks like u cleaned the casting flaws and gave them a nice polish!

Old 01-11-2009, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Faster150
nice work looks like u cleaned the casting flaws and gave them a nice polish!

Thanks , yea, some of those flaws ran pretty deep - I can't believe how much material I swept up after I was finished..

Old 01-11-2009, 11:35 PM
Thanks

Yea , you find allot of good sh^t at those auctions - the best is th school auctions - seen quite a few bridgeports,surface grinders,laths go out the door their.

But No, I resurface the manifold and heads (only @ the manifold port areas) with a palm sander - perfect for minor surface prep. - Now if my stuff was warped, I would have to send it out. These two surfaces need to be completely clean and free of contaminants or the gaskets won't work. Material removal is very minimal here.OK Know I understand.
Can you take a close up pic of the re-surfaced area by any chance.

Whats your time table for getting er done. Hopefully you can take some video when your done. Looking forward to that.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:45 PM

Can you take a close up pic of the re-surfaced area by any chance.

Whats your time table for getting er done. Hopefully you can take some video when your done. Looking forward to that.
I might take a few more pics - Time tables shot to hell now anyway. I had to add some more material to the heads last night - the first application had some shrinkage - headin out to sand that up now.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:47 AM

Here's two more , yuh happy now?

Knifed -

Old 01-12-2009, 01:46 PM
Here's two more , yuh happy now?

Knifed -

Man That truck doesn't look more than 10 years old under the hood! never mind more than 10 years in Michigan!

Looks good!

Quick Reply: I broke the starter AGAIN