I broke the starter AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 09:10 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by tjk_in_cny
Hey Brew,
I put a new starter in my truck 6 months ago. Brand new from the box, I cracked the plastic, tightening the nut on that same post. They have that Post too close to the egde of the plastic edge. Of course they replaced it immediatly and the second one was fine. This time I used removable loc-tite and less torque when putting the nut on.
The problem your going to have is, it is a "phenolic" type plastic.
Very hard, super heat resistance, but it can be brittle. I know of no way to PROPERLY fix that phenolic material succesfully. I have alot of experience with phenolic brake pistons because I was contracted to engineer and build a fully automated system for the the largest producer of
"phenolic" brake pistions for a company here in Central NY.
By the looks of the pics you have, can you just replace the the solenoid maybe. Then again, i bet you give the parts store enough business that you will get your exchange no problem.

WHAT is up with you pulling your engine.......AGAIN !!!!
I 've been having some major brake issues. We almost bought the farm a few months back when cut off by a Semi. We were pulling 3500 + with the 98. Truck wouldn't slow down let alone stop. My Carquest blues fell apart in front and the rear shoes wern't even engaging - they still looked new after I took it apart.

I'm about set on the brakes I hope. So far I've replaced -

ALL hardlines through-out

Installed Cardone Calipers / Special ordered w/steel pistons , not phenolic this time.

New Master Cylinder

Raybetes hoses

Bosch Booster

Brembo rotors

Kelsey Hayes proportion/ABS valve.

I havent decided what pads to get. Carquest gave me a new set, but I don't know if I can trust them now.

Hopefully , she will stop on a dime now.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:23 AM

Hey Brew,

Nah, I just pulled half of it. Finally found the right intake gaskets from Felpro and wanted to get those installed. I've been running with custom gaskets for some time because I couldn't find LATE model 98 gaskets in the past.

Ford freakin moved the Dowel holes on these heads 1/2 way thru 98

Replaced every pulley on the front as well - clutch-fan is new and ONELOWF sent me a kiiler fan (among other goodies) I have installed now. She's also getting Denso's 16's (Rock Auto is selling DENSO's $36 for a set, can't beat that)and a fresh set of coils, cat back is done (she's going to be sorta quiet this time, but torquey ) Finished up with a tune (custom) ..

OH and my freakin horns are getting fixed, I could have used those.

Last edited by jbrew; 12-17-2008 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:32 AM

Hey Brew,
I put a new starter in my truck 6 months ago. Brand new from the box, I cracked the plastic, tightening the nut on that same post. They have that Post too close to the egde of the plastic edge. Of course they replaced it immediatly and the second one was fine. This time I used removable loc-tite and less torque when putting the nut on.
The problem your going to have is, it is a "phenolic" type plastic.
Very hard, super heat resistance, but it can be brittle. I know of no way to PROPERLY fix that phenolic material succesfully. I have alot of experience with phenolic brake pistons because I was contracted to engineer and build a fully automated system for the the largest producer of
"phenolic" brake pistions for a company here in Central NY.
By the looks of the pics you have, can you just replace the the solenoid maybe. Then again, i bet you give the parts store enough business that you will get your exchange no problem.

The starter. That's some great info thanks. I planned on waiting until the 23rd to take it in were I purchased it. Might dress up in old cloths and bring the kids in with me with dirty faces to increase my chances on getting them to replace it.

If that don't work, we will have to wait until that young kid is working and I'll send my oldest daughter up there to she if she can get a free replacement.

If THAT don't work - I'll have to send the X. She usually gets her way. Loves to hurang people for some reason and is good at it.

Last edited by jbrew; 12-17-2008 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holy Snikes Jbrew!

Do you ever drive your truck OUTSIDE your garage? I can only dream of having a frame and underpinnings look THAT clean!

Old 12-17-2008, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by SMIGGS
Holy Snikes Jbrew!

Do you ever drive your truck OUTSIDE your garage? I can only dream of having a frame and underpinnings look THAT clean!

Yea , I used it all summer and fall in Indiana. I just cleaned it up. I don't know where I'm going next - Rumor is Texas after February. That's a long drive. So I'm getting her ready. A little burnt out after putting two weeks into it. Have to get that ambition back up. That usually takes buying something new - Oh well, Christmas is right around the corner - There should be something in the stocking

Missing all the fun here, just got a bunch of the white stuff.

Last edited by jbrew; 12-17-2008 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jbrew
The starter. That's some great info thanks. I planned on waiting until the 23rd to take it in were I purchased it. Might dress up in old cloths and bring the kids in with me with dirty faces to increase my chances on getting them to replace it. NOW that's funny, I don't care who you are

If that don't work, we will have to wait until that young kid is working and I'll send my oldest daughter up there to she if she can get a free replacement.I will leave this one alone !!!

If THAT don't work - I'll have to send the X. She usually gets her way. Loves to hurang people for some reason and is good at it.
My wife is a wimp when it comes to stuff like that. I usually do the "huranging." Although I could use your option #2 method with her.

As far as your brake pads, look into the new engineered style NAPA sells. One pad is ceramic for heat resistance and the other is a metalic mix for gripping and stopping. I put them on my truck this past summer and could feel the difference right away. I liked them so much that my wife's Yota had some warranty work done on her brakes and they let me use those NAPA Pads. I talked to the tech afterward and he said he was impressed with the concept and design. They are a bit more expensive but well worth it if you don't want to replace them anytime soon. With all the deer running here lately, we both have been thankful for the stopping power these pads provide. I believe Raybesto's is making them for NAPA. Do some research like I did, I think you will be happy with them.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:40 AM

Last edited by jbrew; 12-17-2008 at 09:02 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:19 PM
woohooo a thread with pics of Jbrew daughter...i mean.... moving to TX? thats no fun. not comin back to michigan i take it?

somthing like this kinda happend to me with the starter. the black thing rotates and somtimes my truck wont start its annoying took that off the starter and got a screw driver and hammerd it down a lil doesnt move as much. 180 dollar platnum starter not even a year old from pepboys....they wont take it back without a recipt bc "There computers went down and they lost every thing" lying SOB's

Havnt seen ya on here in a while nice to see your doing good. when we gonna line um up? i got a hood scoop now! haha tally up another 50HP!

brakes falling apart doesnt sound like a very good thing.

Good luck with everything bud

Old 12-17-2008, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by shifty_85
woohooo a thread with pics of Jbrew daughter...i mean.... moving to TX? thats no fun. not comin back to michigan i take it?

somthing like this kinda happend to me with the starter. the black thing rotates and somtimes my truck wont start its annoying took that off the starter and got a screw driver and hammerd it down a lil doesnt move as much. 180 dollar platnum starter not even a year old from pepboys....they wont take it back without a recipt bc "There computers went down and they lost every thing" lying SOB's

Havnt seen ya on here in a while nice to see your doing good. when we gonna line um up? i got a hood scoop now! haha tally up another 50HP!

brakes falling apart doesnt sound like a very good thing.

Good luck with everything bud

We are here in Michigan now. For awhile anyway, selling this place, it's on the market now, but I doubt it will sell that fast. Michigan is still in some kind of recession - It's to big and looks like we aren't going to be here much in the future. I don't know about Texas, I could go back to Indiana for all I know. Texas is the rumor tho.

Yea, I hope I'm still in their computer at Murrays. I'll find out when I feel like doing so

It won't be running until next month, but yea, I'll line up with that 4six if yuh wanna get beat that bad. Guy I worked with in Indy had a 97 w/4six. He could keep up as long as I held her @ 1/2 throttle.

Brakes should be better now, if not - I'm going to have to put her down

Old 12-17-2008, 05:55 PM
[QUOTE=jbrew;3494823]

is this the one that tore up your truck?

Old 12-17-2008, 06:07 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Alright, I'll look into that. What I dislike about pads is when they incorporate the metal plates rivoted to the outside. The rivets don't last. A wet gravel road can thro those small pebbles into the system/ shear the rivets is my guess then in time, somehow the plates get mangled. I think the plates act as a heat sync, but not sure - to lower temps upon hard braking. In my case , I had to jerk the wheel/ trailer started whipping and so on.

Felt like brake fade , but I didn't get any relief when first applied. Yea those Carquest pads just don't have one plate like that, they have 4 and all were busted up.

So yea, I'll look into Napa..I believe we have one of those on the other side of town.

Oh and yea, feel fortunate you don't have one of those Huranging woman. - Get's old. It's kinduh like the buying a new boat concept.

But, some women have more than just personality working in their favor -

My oldest is just a nicer person and can be persuasive .

NO dirty stuff now fella's..

I shoulkd just get myself up to Murrays and see what they say before I sick anyone on them ehh
The top one sure looks like Denise Richards.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:11 PM

[QUOTE=Matts ford;3495290]

is this the one that tore up your truck?
No one tore up my truck - She purchased a 98 short bed -

And played in the mud with it ..

I can't find that pick

Last edited by jbrew; 12-17-2008 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:14 PM
[QUOTE=jbrew;3495314]
Originally Posted by Matts ford

No one tore up my truck - She purchased a 98 short bed -

And played in the mud with it ..
oh alright

truck looks good there. then again you couldnt see any of the paint in the other pics

Old 12-17-2008, 06:17 PM

[QUOTE=Matts ford;3495320]

oh alright

truck looks good there. then again you couldnt see any of the paint in the other pics

Yea , it was bad. She has an F250 4x4 now.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:19 PM
[QUOTE=jbrew;3495325]
Originally Posted by Matts ford

Yea , it was bad. She has an F250 4x4 now.
i guess she figured she needed to get something bigger to get through that damn pit

Quick Reply: I broke the starter AGAIN