Pulley problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 07:33 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
At least it doesn't take that long to . 1/2 breaker bar / remove tension/ slide belt off/ I think the bolts are 10mm, might be 13 ? - Anyway/ there's 3 bolts that loosen fairly easily/remove bolts/ replace in reverse order. - Done!

Old 12-21-2008, 03:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well i replaced the idler pulley and its still whining really bad. especially when its cold outside. it sounds like its coming from the drivers side but i have no idea what it is. ill probably have to take the belt off again and spin the pulleys till i find the right one. ugh

Old 12-21-2008, 08:48 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Water Pump ?

When the belt was off, did you give every pulley the wobble test ? Sometimes the pump sprocket in the pump shifts when they loosen and grinds on the cover. Clutch fan could be gone as well.

Power steering pump oil could be broke down as well. Could be the AC or Alternator... All should be checked. I changed most everything up there..

Old 12-21-2008, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Water Pump ?

When the belt was off, did you give every pulley the wobble test ? Sometimes the pump sprocket in the pump shifts when they loosen and grinds on the cover. Clutch fan could be gone as well.

Power steering pump oil could be broke down as well. Could be the AC or Alternator... All should be checked. I changed most everything up there..
i know its not the a/c or alternator both are fairly new. looks like i have some work ahead of me tomorrow

Old 12-22-2008, 05:36 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
if your getting a whine or squeel up front you need to pop the belt off and check your pulleys. test ur water pump, grab your clutch fan and give er some shaking, most probable if your hi mileage and not replaced ur water pump.

rule of thumb, dont rule anything out because its "new-er", that means nothing sometimes.

if you dont find anything obvious right away, put it together and drive it another day then check it. if its a bearing it will show up quick!

also, when doing the shimmy testing of bearings, rotate them and see how smooth or rough they feel, that can have a major role too.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:15 AM
Originally Posted by p057
ya going to be replacing the tensioner pulley tonight in the 9* weather
Must have ice for *****. I wouldn't even consider it.

Quick Reply: Pulley problem