Ticking noise! (could it be loose plug?)

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ticking noise! (could it be loose plug?)

Hey guys, After reading too many pages on the 2v plug issues I went out and started my early 03 screw. I noticed a little ticking noise, and this past week had noticed alittle rougher idle. I can't work on it tonight but will tomorrow evening. The truck will only get drove 2 miles maybe, I hope it doesn't spit one out. What will I need tool wise to check the torque on the plugs, I've read about a longer plug socket being needed? Is anything needed to remover the coil packs? Should I replace the plugs anyway (71,000 miles)or just make sure their snug?

Please help

Thanks Guys

BTW I now I'm paranoid but my last truck cost me way too much in the year I had it. I don't want to start this all over again.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:43 PM
had a fuel injector do this on one of my friends trucks... It did it for as long as I can remember..

Old 11-11-2008, 08:48 PM
I was told don't change them unless you HAVE to- no undue stress on those fragile threads! As for loose- I believe they spit it out from thread failure, not getting loose. I don't remember the exact sizes, but it's a small metric socket to get the coil packs off and a good spark plug socket with a rubber inside to hold the plug, the plugs are down in 4-5 inch deep holes and you need that and an extension to get to them safely. They also loose exhaust manifold studs, they rust off and eventually start to leak. Believe me- spitting a plug was no ticking sound!!

Old 11-11-2008, 08:52 PM
Yeah I'm hoping its just a normal noise, but don't want to just assume it is.

Its pretty faint sounding and only noticable at idle. I didn't notice any difference while reved up or driving, so I'm praying its nothing (injectors or valvetrain noise?).

Would a loose plug rattle at all rpms?

Maybe its only noticeable after reading all the post of horror stories of $2,000 bills and time serts?

Thanks for the replys

Aaron

Old 11-11-2008, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by outlawss
I was told don't change them unless you HAVE to- no undue stress on those fragile threads! As for loose- I believe they spit it out from thread failure, not getting loose. I don't remember the exact sizes, but it's a small metric socket to get the coil packs off and a good spark plug socket with a rubber inside to hold the plug, the plugs are down in 4-5 inch deep holes and you need that and an extension to get to them safely. They also loose exhaust manifold studs, they rust off and eventually start to leak. Believe me- spitting a plug was no ticking sound!!

I was thinking they spit out plugs because they become loose over time and then the threads fail??

Ignoring this seems like it could come back and bite me hard?

Old 11-11-2008, 08:55 PM
Aaron, mine cost $9.00 to fix- tap out the hole and install an insert. They sell the kit at auto parts stores. I had over 170,000 miles on it so I figured a few alum shavings wouldn't hurt too much in the cylinder.
The threads in the head are only about 1/2 inch long, they only hit about 3/4 of the plug threads! There is so little meat that they fail.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:06 PM
Aaron, mine cost $9.00 to fix- tap out the hole and install an insert. They sell the kit at auto parts stores. I had over 170,000 miles on it so I figured a few alum shavings wouldn't hurt too much in the cylinder.
The threads in the head are only about 1/2 inch long, they only hit about 3/4 of the plug threads! There is so little meat that they fail.
I see, I'm not going to stess too much, but it seems they are many trucks on the forum that blew plugs out at alot less than 100,000 miles. I just want to be sure, but If I'm going to do more harm than good it can't be worth it.

Had you changed the plugs before one blew out?

How loud was the rattle before the plug blew out?

BTW 9 bucks ain't bad, I thought the time sert kits were like $120.00 and up.

Last edited by A_White; 11-11-2008 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:11 PM
No, I never touched it. It happened with NO WARNING! Just BANG and then it sounded like a demo derby car! Flew out and took the threads and coil pack with it. That was the part that bites, buying a coil pack.
If you do check them, just make sure they're not l o o s e, I wouldn't tighten them.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:30 PM
No, I never touched it. It happened with NO WARNING! Just BANG and then it sounded like a demo derby car! Flew out and took the threads and coil pack with it. That was the part that bites, buying a coil pack.
If you do check them, just make sure they're not l o o s e, I wouldn't tighten them.
So your saying I shouldn't tighten them if their loose?

I wasn't going to crank em all down.

I was under the impression I could just check them to see if thier tight, and torque em back down to the 14ish lbs.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:39 PM
Yea, only tighten them if they're obviously loose- otherwise you disturb the threads. It's the taking them out and retightening them that can damage the already weak threads. There is simply not enough threads - poor design. On top of that they're aluminum. it's a case of don't fix what's not broken. They will not rattle if loose, if they're to the rattle stage- they're gone!

Old 11-11-2008, 09:43 PM
Oh and the insert is simply a 14mm to 12mm helicoil and a tool to tap and screw it in- I borrowed the tool and bought the inserts. It's in the K/D tools line.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:52 PM
Alright I give em a quick check tomorrow, and hope nothing is loose.

Thanks Man

Old 11-11-2008, 09:56 PM
rjp
Originally Posted by A_White
Hey guys, After reading too many pages on the 2v plug issues I went out and started my early 03 screw. I noticed a little ticking noise, and this past week had noticed alittle rougher idle. I can't work on it tonight but will tomorrow evening. The truck will only get drove 2 miles maybe, I hope it doesn't spit one out. What will I need tool wise to check the torque on the plugs, I've read about a longer plug socket being needed? Is anything needed to remover the coil packs? Should I replace the plugs anyway (71,000 miles)or just make sure their snug?

Please help

Thanks Guys

BTW I now I'm paranoid but my last truck cost me way too much in the year I had it. I don't want to start this all over again.
7mm socket to remove cops, 5/8" spark plug socket and deep socket, 4,6,and 10" extensions, universal for the rear ones. use a 3/8" vacuum hose to start the plugs. DO NOT overtighten!!! Tighten to 13 ft. lbs (hand tight) with deep socket or remove the rubber insert in spark plug socket when tightening. passenger side is easiest. #7 cop is the worst part of the job (flexable extension helps). unbolt power steering fluid bottle for plugs # 5&6.Use air to blow debris out of spark plug bores. Put di-electric grease in cop boots (generously). Don't get in a hurry. It is not as bad as it looks, if you have the proper tools. Hope this helps.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:12 PM
I'll probably just make sure their tight tomorrow adding di-electric grease as I go, and change them out when I have more time.

Would 13lbs of tq be, me twisting the socket and extension NO Ratchet hand tight, Or more like just a little snug with the ratchet?

I might just go buy a tourqe wrench.

Thanks

Old 11-11-2008, 10:27 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
The guys at blownoutsparkplug.com recommend 28 ft/lb to prevent blowout. He's a master Ford tech so there's basis behind that recommendation.

Quick Reply: Ticking noise! (could it be loose plug?)