Replaced DPFE now new Fn CODE!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 09:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replaced DPFE now new Fn CODE!!

I dont recall ever getting this one but I could be wrong. so after cleaning out all the ports of my TB, re-testing the EGR with the suck test and it was fine, I got a brand new code of P0420!! WTF??? I need to get this trucks inspection passed and something keeps stopping me, what do I do now? What are my next steps? I need help ASAP before I get pulled over for having an expired sticker. Ill try some researching but my time is limited on the internet since I am not around a computer as much due to other reasons. Thanks in advance!

Old 04-15-2008, 10:50 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by suavehorn
I dont recall ever getting this one but I could be wrong. so after cleaning out all the ports of my TB, re-testing the EGR with the suck test and it was fine, I got a brand new code of P0420!! WTF??? I need to get this trucks inspection passed and something keeps stopping me, what do I do now? What are my next steps? I need help ASAP before I get pulled over for having an expired sticker. Ill try some researching but my time is limited on the internet since I am not around a computer as much due to other reasons. Thanks in advance!
You will have to make the time.

P0420 is a frequent discussion item.

Click on the SEARCH button, enter that code, and, withing five minutes, your answer will be clear.

Steve

Old 04-15-2008, 11:28 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
~Quoted below

Last edited by jbrew; 04-15-2008 at 10:49 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:12 PM
Well Jbrew, I thought you would remember by now what I have, lol!! I look up at the right hand corner and don see where to fill out this info you talk about. Anyways its a 99 f150 5.4 V8.
I read somewhere about the pipe that goes from the EGR valve was a problem for someone. Oh and I did have a SIDO put on almost a year ago too. Should I check something there and what should I look for?

Old 04-15-2008, 01:58 PM
This code popped up just after cleaning the TB and ports?

Clear the code and see how long, or if, it returns.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:14 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
don see where to fill out this info you talk about.
Click on User CP, then Edit Profile. It's the Additional Information section.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:26 PM

Search

Last edited by jbrew; 04-15-2008 at 10:50 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by jward
This code popped up just after cleaning the TB and ports?

Clear the code and see how long, or if, it returns.
No, I had the code for insufficient flow and never had another code with it and it was like that for months. I cleaned the ports and everything to see if that first code would clear and it never did. So I went ahead and bought the DPFE and that code went away, now this new P0420
comes up.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:45 PM
hey jbrew

Originally Posted by jbrew
You do something to your exhaust ? Search it out in the engines/exhaust forums like Steve suggests, lots of info. That's the passenger side rear 02 sensor telling you theres a problem - it's doing it's job.

Your leaking somewhere pretty bad if your still running both cats on that side. It takes allot to produce that code. If you replaced a sensor - it's easy to screw the O2 bungs up - it can't be avoided when the system is old and rusty.

My rear converter split across the bottom on my 98 and leaked under the heat shield so I didn't notice until it got real bad. I found that a system can leak at the manifold and produce a low efficiency code. So it could be leaking anywhere before the Y on the passenger side.

I doubt you have a brick problem , it's possible tho. - Check to see how hot the passenger side converters get in relation to drivers side after a 20 mile run. If it's substantially hotter , then it's nearly plugged and you have to replace.

BTW - Fill your info in - I didn't look to the right to see what year and motor you have until I replied. If I have and seen that you didn't include this info , I wouldn't have replied. You need to fill that in (Top right corner) for more replies.
hey jbew, I tried editing my signature to add additional info., it changed when i was on the (control panel page), hit save changes, but my original page comes back up!??? What am i doing wrong?

Old 04-15-2008, 08:22 PM

PM me

Last edited by jbrew; 04-15-2008 at 10:51 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:27 AM
"No, I had the code for insufficient flow and never had another code with it and it was like that for months. I cleaned the ports and everything to see if that first code would clear and it never did. So I went ahead and bought the DPFE and that code went away, now this new P0420
comes up."

In that case, your cat may be degraded to the point it needs replacing. Again, clear the code and see how quickly it returns. May need several drive cycles to determine if it truly need replacing.

On other vehicles, I've seen the P0420 go away once the computer relearns after replacing parts that help control emissions.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:05 AM
Which was is the best way to clear a code, disconnecting the battery or using a code reader? Ive heard some places where I read that disconnecting is not good because of some kind of longterm memory crap or something, I dunno. What are your thoughts on my case?

Old 04-16-2008, 10:23 AM
If you have access to a code reader, that'd be the best way to clear. If you unhook the battery, you lose radio and clock settings. Too, having the code reader, you can check codes after a drive cycle to see if the P0420, or others, return.

A code reader is a good thing to have for all these newer vehicles. Not only does it allow YOU to see the codes and research the causes, but it allows you to reaffirm that dealerships and other services centers are not feeding you some BS.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:43 PM
Here is a link to ebay with what i thought might be good for me. How do I know what size to get and if it is just 1 that is broken, should I just replace it or get both? Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...3756.m20.l1116

Old 04-16-2008, 01:58 PM
Before you start replacing parts, first verfiy the part is bad. My suggestion is still to clear the P0420 and see how fast, or even if, it returns.

Like some others have suggested, do a "search" on this forum for "P0240" and read all the other suggestions to rule things out.

As far as those cats go, I'm not familiar with that kind. But, they look to be "weld on" cats. In other words, someone will have to remove yours and weld those in place. I'm more of a OEM bolt on type a guy. All the cats I've changd out have been a 30 mintue type job. Usually 6 bolts, Three forward, three aft. Bolt up the replactment with new gaskets at each end, and go. Something you can do yourself in your driveway or garage.

You could do a "search" on "high flow cats", or similar, and read what others have to say about those type of replacements.

Quick Reply: Replaced DPFE now new Fn CODE!!