Truck wont crank. Fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 08:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck wont crank. Fuel pump?

Truck has never had any trouble starting at all and we parked at a store and everything was fine. Came back out to the truck and it wont start. It turns over fine just wont start. I did the best i could do in the parking lot but i dont think i could hear the pump come one. Do they just go out this easy with no warnings? The truck is a 99 5.4 F150

Old 04-15-2008, 08:50 AM
oh i turned the key a few times then tired to crank and it sounded like it want to crank for a sec.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:59 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by Dans4x4F150
oh i turned the key a few times then tired to crank and it sounded like it want to crank for a sec.

"Cranking" means the starter is engaging and the engine's crankshaft is being turned properly by the starter

"Cranks but does not fire" describes that exact condition which may be caused by a loss of fuel supply, spark, or no air.

Listen very carefully for the fuel pump to turn on for about two seconds when the ignition switch first is turned to RUN from OFF. Remove the fuel cap and listen at the fuel filler if needed. If the pump is not running, check the inertia switch and the fuel pump fuse. Also check to see if the CEL is turning on properly during that first two second interval.

Steve

Old 04-15-2008, 11:58 AM
inertia switch may have been activated,all it takes is small fender bender or bump into something,when this switch is activated by small collision the fuel pump will be cut off for safety

Old 04-15-2008, 12:14 PM
Originally Posted by Dans4x4F150
Truck has never had any trouble starting at all and we parked at a store and everything was fine. Came back out to the truck and it wont start. It turns over fine just wont start. I did the best i could do in the parking lot but i dont think i could hear the pump come one. Do they just go out this easy with no warnings? The truck is a 99 5.4 F150
If it does turn over without any problems, then you're definitely right in thinking it's not getting any fuel. You can check for fuel pressure at the fuel rail, there is a "bicycle tire" valve on the rail somewhere. If you don't have any pressure, check the inertia valve first. If it's not the inertia valve which it seems like from what you describe, then check the fuel filter and the fuel pump. If you can't hear the fuel pump, check the fuel pump relay. If it's not the relay, then it could very well be the pump, which isn't too much of a PITA to change. Good luck and let us know what you figure out.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:17 PM
Technical Article Contributor

One other quick thought, it could be the fuse for the fuel pump. Off the top of my head, it's in the engine bay, mini fuse, yellow, closest to the front of the truck on the left bank.....

Old 04-15-2008, 12:34 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Prolly a fuse or the relay, that's what you check first if the pump doesn't run in the "KEY ON" position.

The 99's used PATS I believe? I think that's the first year for those, but if she cranks , that's most likely not the problem.

Hold the pedal on the floor as well , but don't crank more than 5 seconds or you'll shut the injectors down.

Determine the pump is running first - that was mentioned above along with the other good info already posted and go from there.

Heres a little chart that may help if you have trouble figuring it out -

Last edited by jbrew; 04-15-2008 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:29 PM
If PATS is locked out you wont see or ear any from the fuel pump... I will agree to have the fuses and relays checked before doing something else, when I had this issue the guy who diagnose it, tested current at the injectors, that's when he realize that none of them were working...

Old 04-15-2008, 05:42 PM
Similar-Won't start odometer reads dashes theft light flashing

I have a similar thing. My 2000 F-150 5.4 won't start, odometer is reading dashes "-----" and the theft light is flashing. It was intermittently stalling & not starting for a few weeks and got progressively worse. At this point it was just not starting, I didn't have the odometer problem or the theft light. I replaced the Fuel Pump Relay (no help) then the PCM relay (no help) then I changed the fuel pump, and the odometer thing and the flashing light started. Also it occasionally just has the windshield wipers come on once or twice out of nowhere. I talked to a friend at a dealership and he thinks that my Key has dropped its code or the PATS module has died. I can't afford to replace either yet but when I do I'll let you know if this works. I saw some posts with this very specific combo of things on some other forums, but no one has a solid fix that I have seen. If any of you have anything I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jim Stackable

Old 04-15-2008, 08:00 PM
First off u have to find out if the pump is working like every one else says, then if it does not turn on check the relay for it and the fuse. If both are ok i would suspect the fuel pump being bad. If u hear it turn on but she still doesn't fire check the fuel pressure it could be so low its not making it all the way up to the injectors and yes, fuel pumps can go out with out warning but usually the start of a failing pump would be hard starting or misfire at intense throttle.

Old 04-16-2008, 04:10 AM
Sorry so late i fixed it. Took me one and a half hours to drop the tank and replace it. I would of pulled the bed but i was the only one working on it. When i got back to the truck this morning it fired right up and ran. I turn it off and wouldn't crank. So i towed it one block on base to the shop and fixed it there. So i said let me try a old school trick and kick the **** out ofthe tank and she cranked right up LOL turned it off and wouldn't crank. The fuel pump was 99$ and the Fuel Pump Strainer was $19.99 i got it for $110.00 military discount. So $110 for fuel pump and 1.5 hour install isn't bad. i cant imagine what a shop would charge for something so easy. I have change alot of fuel pumps on GM/mopar cars/truck this was my 1st ford and i must say i like the way it bolts up to the tank instead ofthe other way they do alot of them. Thanx alot

Last edited by Dans4x4F150; 04-16-2008 at 04:13 AM.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:57 AM
good to hear. now make sure you change your fuel filter because that can cause fuel pumps to go in the first place..

Old 04-16-2008, 06:39 AM
i cant imagine what a shop would charge for something so easy
Around 2 to 2.5 hours labor and somewhere around $250 for the pump(Motorcraft brand)

Nice job getting that done, I think dropping the tank from below is easier than removing the bed myself, but I might have a "slight" advantage with available tools and equipment

Old 04-16-2008, 09:18 AM
"Nice job getting that done, I think dropping the tank from below is easier than removing the bed myself, but I might have a "slight" advantage with available tools and equipment."

True that. Flat on your back is a disadvantage in this situation.

And if you have half a tank, or more, of fuel...............

Quick Reply: Truck wont crank. Fuel pump?