Gas tank in place of spare tire??

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 03:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm very interested in doing this as well, but not in place of my existing tank; in addition to it. I needed to know what tank would fit back there, and now I do - thanks, guys! from reading this forum, it looks like i should try very hard to get the bronco tank together with it's internals, along with the appropriate gauge.
i'm putting this into a 2000 F150 short bed regular cab; the spare's going on the front bumper (probably). i can live with a second fillup behind/through the rear bumper, but i would like to rig up some kind of flow into the main tank, preferably automatic. if the heights work out right, then it will flow from the rear (Bronco) tank into the original tank as the original empties. if the tank heights don't work out for that, then I'll have to come up with something else - most likely a manual switch... any ideas?
thanks for your time
jg

PS FWIW, i have some experience with this. A long time ago, in a galaxy far away, i put a diesel tank out of a junk yard into the bed of a 1985 Nissan King Cab 4WD. i ignored any and all technical details regarding emissions, the FI engine's requirements, etc., and simply plumbed a manual valve into an existing fuel line, so that when i opened the valve (reachable from the driver's seat) the aux tank flowed into the original. Since the tank sat under a tool box in the bed, it just gravity fed into the original tank. I must have done something else, and got lucky, since i think i remember that the gauge would read both tanks, but only one at a time - i just don't remember what i did. Fill ups were from a filler neck behind the tool box, about a foot or so over the factory fillup - not an issue with an open bed.
I did flush the tank before i installed it, but the first tank of gasoline smoked terribly anyway - after that, it was fine. had it for years; it had a range of over 700 miles.

Last edited by Joethefordguy; 10-06-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah this has kinda pudderd out working 7 days a week 10 hours a day. making tons of money but have no time at all.

and now this gas tank strap recall is out and said if they need to they will replace my tank as well. if they do that i wont swap the tank. if they DO NOT replace my tank i will go ahead with this swap

Quick Reply: Gas tank in place of spare tire??