Gas tank in place of spare tire??

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 11:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shifty_85
i dont care about the traction its just for my tank they want 340 bucks for it when i could do this for 115. and the exhuast shop thats "10 bucks a foot as many bends as you need" Qutoed me 350 bucks to put the driver side pipe even with the passenger side pipe thats not even over the axle or anything. i just want something differnt for exhuast and everyone on here always wants to run lightning exits on both sides so im going to do it and show everyone what it looks like. And plus it'll be a fun project im always helping my buddy do projects his turn to help me do one on my truck!
Sounds like your building a death trap.
If I was to do that,,I would be watching my review mirror every time I had to stop,,,just waiting for someone to rear-end me!

Did you shop around for a new tank?
Not sure what one fits your truck,,,but there way less then $340. bucks!
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

Good luck with whatever way you go.

Phil

Old 03-30-2009, 11:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
already got the bronco tank we are not welding to it. we miight try some Jbrew weld theres a lil bit of surface rust were gonna wire wheel it with a full tank of water to try n find it. then try some JBweld or that sutff you were talking about. hey at least if someone rear ends me i do more damage to them lol. i always keep my hitch in so that give it another 6" of impacked before hitting the bumper n my tank. and i looked at my buddys bronoc n excurtion. all there tank is is inbetween the frame rails and the hitch on the back. i gotta get a new sending unit and pump for the intake. and relocate the filler make the fuel lines longer n im good to go! watcha yall think?

Old 03-31-2009, 03:25 AM
I think that after the time you put into all of it, you will be better off, AND SAFER, buying a new tank or a donor from the bone yard...

Nothing in life is free.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:42 AM
Without braving the snow drifts to go out and look--it seems to me I remember a bulge in the box where a second filler neck would go for another fuel tank, similar to the dual tank set-up my '84 Ranger had. All you'd need is the fuel door, filler tube, and maybe a little body work around the opening to mount it to for putting in the aux tank. I'm going to have to book-mark this thread, as I've been semi-considering an aux tank for my '97 F-150.

I DO see the point about installing an aux tank in one of these compared to the way my old Ranger was set up. IT was meant for it, whereas the newer trucks aren't. The added necessary frame protection for a tank like that, as opposed to the $100+ needed for an in-box aux tank poses some interesting fab-issues.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:05 AM
thank u hillsottfam. yeah im going to use my old fuel door prob and have the orignal one closed and painted up. ill take a look under the bed and see what i can find. i know the older models 96 and older have the dual tank doors one in front of the rear tire one behide it. gonna get it all cleaned up today and see what we got to do to fix it.

thanks again for all your input guys.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:31 PM
This just came the other day.

Fuel pump/strainer/sending unit is 105 bucks at vatozone. my buddy works there so 20% off brings it to 85 bucks. then just need fuel injection hose and some wires and im good to go.

Were should i put the fuel door thoe? i cant reuse stock because the filler next would be 6 feet long lol.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:41 PM
Technical Article Contributor

"already got the bronco tank" <snip>
This just came the other day.

Fuel pump/strainer/sending unit is 105 bucks at vatozone. my buddy works there so 20% off brings it to 85 bucks. then just need fuel injection hose and some wires and im good to go.

Were should i put the fuel door thoe? i cant reuse stock because the filler next would be 6 feet long lol.

??????? I thought you already had a tank?

And, have you been driving around a truck that leaks fuel for 8 months???

Old 10-27-2009, 02:47 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
mount the filler door behind the rear wheel

Old 10-27-2009, 02:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by efuehrin
have you been driving around a truck that leaks fuel for 8 months???

Old 10-29-2009, 01:48 AM
ive been drivign a truck that has a hole in the bottom of the tank right under the pump for 40,000 miles! avg 17 MPG wonder what a sealed tank is gonna do for my milage. ya i think thats were the filler neck is gonna go.

yes i did have the free bronco tank but it had a huge hole and i didnt feel like tryin to weld it. figured id go brand new.

only gonna run 93 in this tank nothing but.

thanks for the support guys ill get this rollin soon. also thats just the pump sending unit and strainer i need the lockig ring and top part with the tubes on it. what is that called?

Old 10-29-2009, 10:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ive been drivign a truck that has a hole in the bottom of the tank right under the pump for 40,000 miles! avg 17 MPG wonder what a sealed tank is gonna do for my milage. ya i think thats were the filler neck is gonna go.

yes i did have the free bronco tank but it had a huge hole and i didnt feel like tryin to weld it. figured id go brand new.

only gonna run 93 in this tank nothing but.

thanks for the support guys ill get this rollin soon. also thats just the pump sending unit and strainer i need the lockig ring and top part with the tubes on it. what is that called?
your probably talking about the fuel pump locking ring

Old 10-30-2009, 12:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
id get a flip up license plate bracket and mount the filler neck behind there

Old 10-30-2009, 11:24 PM
not a bad idea blacked out v6. ill throw it around.

yes the lock ring and the top part with the hoses going from the pump to the lines going to the motor and for the return line. found one for 40 bucks at a junk yards.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:02 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Looking forward to this

Old 10-31-2009, 01:56 AM
my 02 has catback 45 out the back behind the tires cost 195 with cheap 3 1/2 inch tips...its a single cab shortbed....
haha i like the idea about the tank...i would feel much safer with it in the bed tho....
must be that new sniper....sucked a hole in the tank?? haha

Quick Reply: Gas tank in place of spare tire??