removing the throttle body, coolant line?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 05:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
removing the throttle body, coolant line?

99 5.4L. Was just in the process of taking off the throttle body to clean and on the left side of the tb theres 3 lines going into it (coolant tree?) took one off and it was pouring out coolant... what do i do to get it to stop leaking coolant. Do i have to drain the radiator so it wont leak or will it just stop eventually. I wasnt expecting that it would be pouring out. Also when im putting it back together, is that going to cause air pockets in the cooling system or is there a procedure to prevent that. Thanks

Last edited by Toyz; 01-27-2008 at 05:25 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:28 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Plug it back in!!! Hurry up!!

a barb fitting with a vacuum cap.. Or a bolt.

BTW - If you think coolant is coming from the tree itself (maybe that's why you asked that question?), it's not. It's coming from the two lines . Front and rear.

Good question about the air pockets !! I'm looking that up with the search bar right now . I think you have to turn the AC on and take the Degauss cap off . I'll find out and edit this when I do.

That didn't take long, here yuh go -

Filling

1. Add the proper engine coolant mixture to the degas bottle.
2. Move the temperature blend selector to the full warm position.
3. Run the engine until it reaches operating temperature.
4. Add the proper engine coolant mixture to the degas bottle until the coolant level is between the "COOLANT FILL LEVEL" marks.
5. Turn off the engine and allow the cooling system to cool.
6. Repeat Steps 1 through 5 until the degas bottle level is OK.

Bleeding

1. Select maximum heater temperature and blower motor speed settings. Position control to discharge air at A/C vents in the instrument panel.
2. Start engine and allow to idle. While engine is idling, feel for hot air at A/C vents.

CAUTION: If the air discharge remains cool and the engine coolant temperature gauge does not move, the engine coolant level is low in the engine and must be filled. Stop the engine, allow to cool and fill the cooling system as described.

3. Start the engine and allow to idle until normal operating temperature is reached. Hot air should discharge from the A/C vents. The engine coolant temperature gauge should maintain a stabilized reading in the middle of the NORMAL range and the upper radiator hose should feel hot to the touch.
4. Shut the engine off and allow it to cool.
5. Check the engine for coolant leaks.
6. Check the engine coolant level in the degas bottle and fill as necessary.

Last edited by jbrew; 01-27-2008 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:53 PM
I plugged it back in after about 2 seconds.
Name:  tb.jpg
Views: 7075
Size:  29.0 KB
I used one of your pics.
So "B" is the line i first pulled off and coolant was coming out of the tree mostly (shot about 6") and some out of the line. So is "A" where the coolant comes from, runs through and then leaves through "B" what if i just crimp off the line going into "A" if thats the case. Maybe im not doing it right, am i supposed to remove the whole tree from the tb or just take the lines off.

Thanks for the coolant info, im sure ill have air pockets in there so ill have to refill and bleed the system afterwards.

But for now i just want to get the TB off without getting coolant all over.

Last edited by Toyz; 01-27-2008 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:05 PM

You need to plug Both A & B The tree stay in unless it's leaking. Yea , leave that alone or it might leak when your done

Hey , what did you use to modify that pic above . The circles and A & B letters?

MS Paint ?

Thanks

Last edited by jbrew; 01-27-2008 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:23 PM
Yeah, MS paint, lol. Hope you dont mind.
Thanks for the help, This has got to be the dirtiest TB ever, ill have pics up soon.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Toyz
Yeah, MS paint, lol. Hope you dont mind.
Thanks for the help, This has got to be the dirtiest TB ever, ill have pics up soon.

No I don't care about that - I just want to know how - I messed with MS paint before for about 30 seconds - that's why I was curious if that was the program most use to edit the photo's with .

I prolly have about 2 hours invested into photo shop - still can't figure that one out - Mannn , that a PITA - Figured theres prolly an easier program to use for editing in that way.

Thanks for the info.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:30 PM
Yeah, i have a cousin that went to seattle art institute for 2 years just to learn photoshop... I tried it once, a bit to much for me. well i went back to those lines, found some bolts that would work for plugs, pulled them off and...no more coolant. So i plugged them anyways to keep air out. Dropped a TB bolt down under the intake and cant find it....... been working on that for about an hour now. Sucks. And where the TB mounts to the top of the intake, i thought i dropped something in there so i stuck my magnet down there and it came back with about 1/8" of fresh oil on it. Wonder if thats where im burning oil. At like like 1,500k miles after my last change i was over 2 quarts low.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:25 PM
is it going to cause problems if i dont find that bolt i dropped under the intake or will it just rattle. I mean, whats under there, nothing it can hurt? cause ive been on it for over 2 hours with 2 different kinds of magnets and havent even once seen or heard it move. I can just got get another bolt if thats what it comes down too

never mind, patients payed off, found it.

Last edited by Toyz; 01-27-2008 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:36 PM

It looks sort of like this if you have a 5.4L -

I don't think you'll hurt anything . I've had a 1/4 drive ratchet under there for at least a year before. - Old spark plug was found under there as well, extensions , allot of 7 and 8 mm sockets can usually be found their .

Yea , if I can't see it , I won't waste time fishing for it any more...

BUT - Drop something in that intake - that should be found , if it ends up in the lower intake it won't hurt anything - If it goes into the head , you'll find out real quick after you turn the key

Last edited by jbrew; 01-27-2008 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:45 PM
PICTURES

Its always fun to work like this
Name:  P_01847.jpg
Views: 2998
Size:  34.6 KB
These are before pictures
Name:  P_01843.jpg
Views: 2846
Size:  25.5 KB
Name:  P_01844.jpg
Views: 2866
Size:  22.5 KB

And heres some after shots, this was about halt way done
Name:  P_01842.jpg
Views: 2824
Size:  40.7 KB

Last edited by Toyz; 01-27-2008 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:49 PM
Old 01-27-2008, 09:54 PM
I can definitely feel it running smoother and better but theres a wierd hissing noise ive never heard before, i think i might have damaged the egr gasket when i took it off. And after i took it for about a 5 mile drive when i get home the cats were pinging and tinking really loud when they were cooling off and its never done that before...

Old 01-27-2008, 09:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats because you probably have a vacuum leak, which made it lean, which made you run hot, heating your cats more than usual, and they will ping a lot more as they cool

Old 01-27-2008, 10:51 PM
Yeah definitely a vacuum leak. Just took it out for another drive and its got a light hissing noise when you first accelerate and the idle is randomly bouncing up and down between 750 and 1200. Probably removing and putting back hoses caused an old one to crack or something, ill check it out tomorrow when theres light.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:10 AM
well i removed and inspected every single vacuum hose, line, elbow...everything. nothing out of the ordinary. That pcv line beind the intake was fun. When i pulled it off it was full of oil, not sure if thats normal or not. Im thinking its egr related. can you clog an egr? when i had the TB off and was cleaning it, for the first few minutes i was spraying it all down, the egr was still attached before i realized i should probably take it off. by the time i took it off the gasket was like a soft mushy metalic substance.

I left the tps on the whole time i was cleaning it.. should be ok?

Last edited by Toyz; 01-29-2008 at 01:13 AM.

Quick Reply: removing the throttle body, coolant line?