What to clean a MAF sensor with? Brake Clean?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 02:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to clean a MAF sensor with? Brake Clean?

I am planning on cleaning my MAF sensor. Is brake clean the cleaner of choice or ?. Thanks.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:27 PM
NO NO NO NO NO, and I mentioned no right? You gotta use specific MAF sensor cleaner. You can use other electrical contact cleaners, but if you're buying supplies get the MAF stuff. Others will chime in here to say what the other stuff is so wait or just buy MAF cleaner.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:27 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
no, there is an electronics cleaner you should use, do a search on the subject, see if it doesn't come up.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:38 PM
I think it's called CRC Electronic Cleaner, this will work fine. I've cleaned a couple of different MAFs with this stuff. Works great. Can pick it up at your local autoparts store or even Walmart probably:

Old 12-13-2007, 03:43 PM
Thanks guys. I went out and bought the CRC QD electronics cleaner as shown in the picture. I went to 2 different stores and couldn't find any MAF specific cleaner. They probably make it I just couldn't find it. Thanks Again.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:00 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
http://www.autobarn.net/maairflsecl1.html

In Joplin, Autozone doesn't have it but O'Reilly's does.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:02 PM
I found "Mass Airflow Sensor Cleaner" @ Pep boys - the Autozone, O'reilly's, and NAPA stores didn't have it!

Old 12-13-2007, 04:18 PM
Thanks Guys. Will the QD electronic cleaner work or should I go out and buy the MAF sensor cleaner? I have a Pep Boys in town. Thanks.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:34 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Any electronic/contact cleaner that doesn't leave a residue will work fine. I used to use Windex.

JMC

Old 12-13-2007, 04:35 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by twilightcall
Thanks Guys. Will the QD electronic cleaner work or should I go out and buy the MAF sensor cleaner? I have a Pep Boys in town. Thanks.
I think that will do just fine. I know that is the brand I have at home, may even be the same stuff. I think it may say on the can that it works for MAF. Here is a link to a guy that for sure used what you have.
http://www.fordf150.net/howto/clean-...low-sensor.php

Old 12-13-2007, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by I12AV82
I found "Mass Airflow Sensor Cleaner" @ Pep boys - the Autozone, O'reilly's, and NAPA stores didn't have it!
Advance Auto Parts has the CRC MAF cleaner. Just bought some last night!

Old 12-13-2007, 05:16 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by JMC
Any electronic/contact cleaner that doesn't leave a residue will work fine. I used to use Windex.

JMC

I'm glad you mentioned Windex - I use windex most of the time on the MAF - when I'm out of expensive RS stuff (that stuff doesn't last long long around here). Look at your MAF wires closely after using the CRC Auto Elec Cleaner, you'll find a residue every time. I use windex on circuit boards in a pinch - it just works....The best stuff I found is at Radio Shack - "Circuit Board Cleaner" The stuff is $12 a can tho.

I haven't tried MAF cleaner - they don't sell it around here..

The Greeks use windex - They use it to aid with healing cuts and abrasions - I haven't tried that one yet

BUT ? Isn't that stuff for windows ?

Last edited by jbrew; 12-13-2007 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:19 PM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by jbrew
I'm glad you mentioned Windex - Windex is the only cleaner I use on the MAF . Look at your MAF wires closly after using the CRC Auto Elec Cleaner, you'll find a residue every time. I use windex on circuit boards on the time - it just works....

I haven't tried MAF cleaner - they don't sell it around here..

The Greeks use windex as a healing agent- They use it to heal cuts and abrasions - I haven't tried that one yet

Personally, I wouldn't do everything the Greeks do!

Old 12-13-2007, 10:35 PM
Well, I fell as if I need to add something and will probably get grief for it, and I am not striking at any body here, but here it is.... You can use brake parts cleaner to clean M.A.F. sensor wires.... I know, I know someone said "no, no, no", or something to that effect, but, non chlorinated brake cleaner is o.k. to use and I have tried this out personally. From about six years or so ago to just today, I still use it, I also use compressed air (at a light pressure!) to dry them off. Thats probably about 300-600??? trucks and cars that still run with the same M.A.F. sensors. (well, maybee not all of them but you get the picture) Brake cleaner is designed to dry clean with no residual film. Again, I am not trying cut anyone down or anything like that, just an informative tip (and less expensive I might ad), I thought some of you might want to hear.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:46 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've used in a pinch myself. No harm came of it.

Originally Posted by TECHDOC
Well, I fell as if I need to add something and will probably get grief for it, and I am not striking at any body here, but here it is.... You can use brake parts cleaner to clean M.A.F. sensor wires.... I know, I know someone said "no, no, no", or something to that effect, but, non chlorinated brake cleaner is o.k. to use and I have tried this out personally. From about six years or so ago to just today, I still use it, I also use compressed air (at a light pressure!) to dry them off. Thats probably about 300-600??? trucks and cars that still run with the same M.A.F. sensors. (well, maybee not all of them but you get the picture) Brake cleaner is designed to dry clean with no residual film. Again, I am not trying cut anyone down or anything like that, just an informative tip (and less expensive I might ad), I thought some of you might want to hear.

Quick Reply: What to clean a MAF sensor with? Brake Clean?