stripped iac bolts...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 11:06 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Well , that's definitly a problem - You shouldn't hear that noise

Have you tried tracking it down? Pull the line off the EGR if the noise stops you narrowed it down.

Shut it down then listen closley - do you here air bleeding off after shutdown?

How about a slight humming noise?

Old 05-09-2007, 11:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrew
Well , that's definitly a problem - You shouldn't hear that noise

Have you tried tracking it down? Pull the line off the EGR if the noise stops you narrowed it down.

Shut it down then listen closley - do you here air bleeding off after shutdown?

How about a slight humming noise?
No, don't hear a humming noise. It seems like it's coming from one of a few areas -
1. EGR
2. k & n intake to throttle body hose
3. brake booster area
It seems to be coming from somewhere in this area, but even with the engine running and starter fluid, I can't find anything. I looked for cracked hoses and found nothing.

Old 05-09-2007, 12:12 PM

You should have a green , red , brown and white vac line prolly encased in coil wrap right in that area . You might want to pull your 3/16 lines off and pressure check. It's all one assembly - I'll help you put them back in the correct spot if you need it..

What can happen is those skinny lines can collaps inside or at the elbows - You have already check the one that usually goes bad that I posted on page two in this thread .

So those little lines are encased in that coil crap and you can't see squat without removing it ..

My blue one by the battery box that connects to the solenooid on the firewall collapsed like that at one time - I just found a new vacume harness for it - They will also dry up sort of and become brittle with age..

Last edited by jbrew; 05-09-2007 at 12:16 PM.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:25 PM
[QUOTE=jbrew]You should have a green , red , brown and white vac line prolly encased in coil wrap right in that area . You might want to pull your 3/16 lines off and pressure check. It's all one assembly - I'll help you put them back in the correct spot if you need it..
In what area? I think I know what you're talking about but I'll look again.

Old 05-21-2007, 01:29 PM
I know we're off topic from my original post in this thread, but I changed my spark plugs. I was pretty sure that it wouldn't change my idle problem, but I was hoping it might. Well, it didn't. But the old plugs were pretty nasty, so I guess it wasn't a total waste. Anyway, I'm gonna continue the search for the fix to my rough idle... something will fix it sooner or later.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One of the best "tools" that I've ever purchased for tracing down noises was a stethoscope. Kinda like the ones that the doctor uses to listen to your heart. But instead of a pad to place against your chest, it has a long hollow metal tube. I picked it up at the local auto parts store. Works pretty good for those mysterious noises.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:39 AM
I haven't had time to look around for problems under the hood to fix the idle problem, but - I noticed that when I drive on the freeway for a while or when I run the A/C for a while, the idle clears up REAL nice. Any thoughts on this? Thanks everyone and happy memorial day

Old 05-29-2007, 07:10 PM
No idea!!!
So recap,still not kicking a CEL?You replaced the IAC and plugs right?You also have no other driveability probs besides the rough idle right?
I dunno
This is page 6 now

Old 05-29-2007, 07:12 PM

Your AC will at times leak on top of your HEGO sensor and short it out - worth looking into .. Theres a mod and a TSB on this.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by Kevin24
No idea!!!
So recap,still not kicking a CEL?You replaced the IAC and plugs right?You also have no other driveability probs besides the rough idle right?
I dunno
This is page 6 now
No, no codes. Ya, I did the IAC, plugs, cleaned air filter (k&n) and replaced fuel filter. No other driveability probs, since I took out the superchips...

Old 05-29-2007, 08:14 PM
Your AC will at times leak on top of your HEGO sensor and short it out - worth looking into .. Theres a mod and a TSB on this.
Thanks. HEGO sensor? I'll figure it out, just never heard of it.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:30 AM

I don't mind explaining or posting the TSB for yuh - BUT, are you still having problems ?

Old 05-30-2007, 01:35 AM
I don't mind explaining or posting the TSB for yuh - BUT, are you still having problems ?
Ya, still having the shaking idle. I have to say, after plugs, IAC, fuel filter, throttle body cleaning, air filter cleaning and MAF cleaning, the idle is a little more smooth. Especially after the throttle plate cleaning I did tonight (it was sticking really bad) the rpm's drop a LOT faster. So about that tsb....
I'm gonna buy the global-automotive cop's soon, since they're so cheap and easy to replace, I figure they'd work nicely with new plugs.

Old 05-30-2007, 01:39 AM

On the IAC - is it new ?

Old 05-30-2007, 01:50 AM
first i cleaned the old one, then i replaced the new one, then i took off the new one just to check it out and put it back, resetting the battery every time.

Quick Reply: stripped iac bolts...