Recommended service with 107k miles on a 1999 F150 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 01:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommended service with 107k miles on a 1999 F150 4x4

I just purchased a used truck from a dealer so not sure what service it's had done to it so I want to go through it. Here's what I plan replace or service.

Spark Plugs
Drive Belt
Shocks
Fuel Filter
Hoses and Coolant
Transmission Flush and Filter
Transfer Case Fluid
Front and Rear Differential Fluids

Brakes, Air Filter, Oil all fine

Let me know if I'm missing anything or if some of them don't need to be replaced or serviced yet.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 04-04-2007, 01:32 AM
Originally Posted by mdwilli
I just purchased a used truck from a dealer so not sure what service it's had done to it so I want to go through it. Here's what I plan replace or service.

Spark Plugs
Drive Belt
Shocks
Fuel Filter
Hoses and Coolant
Transmission Flush and Filter
Transfer Case Fluid
Front and Rear Differential Fluids

Brakes, Air Filter, Oil all fine

Let me know if I'm missing anything or if some of them don't need to be replaced or serviced yet.

Thanks,
Mark
That about overs it. Add PCV valve to it. If you are doing the plugs, it wouldn't hurt to pull the throttle body and elbow to clean the body and egr ports. Also gives you a little more room when changing plugs.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:12 PM
BSL
Originally Posted by ruger43
That about overs it. Add PCV valve to it. If you are doing the plugs, it wouldn't hurt to pull the throttle body and elbow to clean the body and egr ports. Also gives you a little more room when changing plugs.
X2 I just got my fuel system cleaned where they hook up to the fuel rail and it feels like a different truck

Old 04-04-2007, 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by ruger43
Thanks Ruger. Any special techniques to removing the throttle body and elbows? What works best to clean the body and egr ports? Thanks, Mark

Old 04-05-2007, 10:10 AM
http://www.fordf150.net/howto/throttlebodyclean.php

Try this link. It might help you on how to take it out and how to clean it. I done it last summer. Wasn't to bad. Good Luck!

Old 04-05-2007, 04:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pull the front passenger plug and check it out first. chances are they might have already been done. if they look good leave them alone.those are a pain to change. all the rest is pretty simnple stuff.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by keith97xlt
pull the front passenger plug and check it out first. chances are they might have already been done. if they look good leave them alone.those are a pain to change. all the rest is pretty simnple stuff.
Chances are they haven't been changed. They're not too bad, I did mine in about 3 hours.

What motor do you have? If its a 4.6, then new plug wires and new coil packs would help. If its a 5.4 and you've got the $$$, some new COPs would be nice. I got all of my ignition stuff from Troyer for my 150. And I think it'd be best to change the oil, filter, and air fiter anyways just to be safe. Who knows what crappy stuff they used... And to clean the throttle body, just use plain old carb cleaner. Yes, there is TB spray, but after 8 years, that "special coating" is long gone. And also, do a search on here for Seafoam. Does wonders.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:14 AM
Originally Posted by Zaairman
Chances are they haven't been changed. They're not too bad, I did mine in about 3 hours.

What motor do you have? If its a 4.6, then new plug wires and new coil packs would help. If its a 5.4 and you've got the $$$, some new COPs would be nice. I got all of my ignition stuff from Troyer for my 150. And I think it'd be best to change the oil, filter, and air fiter anyways just to be safe. Who knows what crappy stuff they used... And to clean the throttle body, just use plain old carb cleaner. Yes, there is TB spray, but after 8 years, that "special coating" is long gone. And also, do a search on here for Seafoam. Does wonders.
I have a 5.4 motor. How many miles will the stock COP's last?

Old 04-07-2007, 03:29 PM
BSL
Originally Posted by mdwilli
I have a 5.4 motor. How many miles will the stock COP's last?
There's conflicting views of anywhere from 70k to run it till it quits working. I wouldn't go over 120k, but thats just me, oh I'm planning on changing mine this summer when I'm around 90k

Old 04-08-2007, 11:36 AM
Took a look at lower ball joints, they are usually bad by that time too.

Old 04-08-2007, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by mneal
Took a look at lower ball joints, they are usually bad by that time too.
Thanks mneal. I'll put it on my list. Thanks again, Mark

Quick Reply: Recommended service with 107k miles on a 1999 F150 4x4