Is my block cracked? pics here

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 06:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is my block cracked? pics here

Hope i did these picturs right, basicly it is a lifted type of a crack, at first i thought it was a layer of rust peeling off, but it is pretty solid

i tried to color with a crayon so you could see the darl area of the crack , it seems to run up and down along with the back side of the cylinder jacket(valley side)

its just funny it happens to be th esame side that popped the rear passenger side freeze/core plug..

here is that thread:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=276717

well guys, i really havnt seen blcok damage from expanding ice.
does this seem like it could be the result?

not sure how else to test now, short of pulling it apart and bringing it to th emachine shop

looks like a head check and new bottom end is in order

any help is greatly appreciated

Chris(with an almost rebiult 98 F-150)

Old 03-21-2007, 06:27 PM
well i got the links to the gallery instead using the img icon

not sure how to actually get the actual image in the post

did it before, oh well

thanks
Chris

Old 03-21-2007, 06:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
When you bring up your image in your gallery , look to the right of your image and click on forum code , a little window appears, copy the top link in that little window then paste it here.. In your post..

Old 03-21-2007, 06:34 PM
yeh its cracked...

Old 03-21-2007, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
When you bring up your image in your gallery , look to the right of your image and click on forum code , a little window appears, copy the top link in that little window then paste it here.. In your post..

Thanks a bunch jbrew
Chris

Old 03-21-2007, 06:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by we287gn

Hope i did these picturs right, basicly it is a lifted type of a crack, at first i thought it was a layer of rust peeling off, but it is pretty solid

i tried to color with a crayon so you could see the darl area of the crack , it seems to run up and down along with the back side of the cylinder jacket(valley side)

its just funny it happens to be th esame side that popped the rear passenger side freeze/core plug..

here is that thread:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=276717

well guys, i really havnt seen blcok damage from expanding ice.
does this seem like it could be the result?

not sure how else to test now, short of pulling it apart and bringing it to th emachine shop

looks like a head check and new bottom end is in order

any help is greatly appreciated

Chris(with an almost rebiult 98 F-150)

Like so

Old 03-21-2007, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by Faster150
yeh its cracked...
Hey Faster150 , heh, ya it looks that way

i guess i should came up with a different title..i have never seen an ice crack before, trying to confirm ,\
i also guess, ice or no ice , it doesnt look good, i can only assume it goes right through into the jacket

thanks
Chris

Old 03-21-2007, 06:46 PM
Fix it. Jb weld, silicone, or take it to a machine shop, and have them weld it back up. Don't give up!

Old 03-21-2007, 07:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is it leaking anything? It may just be a casting parting line leftover from the molding process.... the only way to know for sure is if something's coming out of it (air, oil, or water) or Magna-Flux it at a machine shop.

-Joe

Old 03-21-2007, 08:25 PM
looks like a freeze crack if u pushed out a free plug then ur looking at a new block either way.. its very dumb to well up cast iron... u can solder it but not weld it back

Old 03-21-2007, 08:50 PM
jbrew, chester8420,GIJoe Cam, faster 150,

thanks for the replies!!!!

GIJOECam, it wasnt leaking anything before the winter, but it hasnt ran since then either so the cooling system never got presurised again ..so hard to say,it started leaking out the rear freeze plug before i ever got that far and decided to pull it, and this was upon filling the system, never got to run it..
i automaticly assumed it went hand in hand with the freeze...hard to say if these cracks were there before or not..
unless i could get some proof that this is a common thing and doesnt eefect the cooling system, i am considering it junk at this point..

sealing the crack is one thing if this is the only damaged spot, but if its on adjacent cylinder walls to, well then its done ..
only way to tell now is tear her down
, i was hoping not, but it doesnt look good..160K on the clock, previous head gasket jobs, rusty gunked up coolant passages, maybe this will be a good thing ..lol

Faster150, ya, i had been told and read many times welding and cast iron is a hard task, and considering this is the result of a water freeze, i am concerned there is damage elsewhere..it is the same bank the plug popped on

thanks a bunch everyone, i am a little uncertain here, but i think i am headed in the right direction, by not trusting it..
maybe i will get lucky and th elocal machine shop will have a 4.6 block hanging around, that my rotating assembly will fit in(providing cleaning and polish is all it needs), new bearings, rings, new bottom end...if i could be that lucky
Thanks again
Chris

Last edited by we287gn; 03-21-2007 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by we287gn
thanks a bunch everyone, i am a little uncertain here, but i think i am headed in the right direction, by not trusting it..
maybe i will get lucky and th elocal machine shop will have a 4.6 block hanging around, that my rotating assembly will fit in(providing cleaning and polish is all it needs), new bearings, rings, new bottom end...if i could be that lucky
Thanks again
Chris
good luck on finding a used block, i had a hell of a time finding one at all, let alone one within 600miles of me.

although i may be able to entice the e-bay idea?

plus if your patient, i have hopes n dreams to have my tired 4.6 yanked and a neat lil 5.4 stuffed in there soon.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:17 PM
4.6 longblocks are easy to come accros cause its such a common motor in both the mustang F150 and crown victoria and town car.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:07 AM
looks like a crack to me, sorry.

Old 03-22-2007, 04:17 PM
hey Klitch, Faster150,golfmjs777,
thanks for the replies made a few calls today

local boneyard wants 1500 for a 109K long block

local machine shop has 2 used motors in wich he may sell me the block

other wise they will sell me a rebiult with 3 yr unlimited mile waranty for 1500

only catch is i am unsure if that was a long block price or not

so i am going to tear her down and inspect and measure everything , let the machine shop check the heads and work on the short block deal
if that doesnt work out looks like a rebiult from them is the best bet, pretty sure i can handle puting this motor together, but it is early to tell yet

thanks
Chris

Quick Reply: Is my block cracked? pics here