Is 4.6L Superior to 5.4L

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 08:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rch10007
You can't argue with an idiot...they just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

triton doesn't even believe it's possible to add volume to a combustion chamber so how the hell would he understand forced induction?

[flame suit on bioch]

I'll check back later tonight, but right now I gotta go to GA!
so basically what your telling me is that you get your jolly's by starting arguements?

ba whatever, i aint gots no time to be illin with ya homie G dog. i gots Muffler bearings that need regreasen.. i've gotta tighten down the load straps and retorque my pretensioners.

step off that haterade yall..

Old 12-14-2006, 09:22 AM
Don't start whinning now...if you can't take it, don't dish it out!

I'm just messing around - I ain't mad at none of y'all.

I said what I said and meant what I meant. I may not have been as clear as I could have been, but if you know what I said - this has been hilarious!

Later...heading to GA now! 10 hours of the passing lane, here I come!

Old 12-14-2006, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by Faster150
mu tuner just got 489rwhp out of a stock 4.6L F150 last weekend 10PSI on a T66 turbo.. so yeh lol what do u call a turd?
No, I call that a grenade.

Old 12-14-2006, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by tritonpwr
No, I call that a grenade.

Old 12-14-2006, 09:34 AM
and this is number 800

Old 12-14-2006, 09:46 AM
we've managed to make 800 posts in 8 days

Old 12-14-2006, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by UberDude
we've managed to make 800 posts in 8 days
What's sadder, that, or the fact that it's been looked at 9,000 times in those 8 days? :santa:

Old 12-14-2006, 10:03 AM
"HI".... neal, no bs, just jumping ahead of myself. Haven't gotten it dyno tuned just yet. But the thing is that I was doing low 14s high 13s before the boost. Just waiting for my SCT to come in then I'll get it on the dyno.

Old 12-14-2006, 10:04 AM
This thread.....

Talk about a civil war.

Haven't met more a$$holes like me in a while.

Old 12-14-2006, 10:20 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Decking the head actually shrinks the Combustion chamber so the CR will increase. Stroking the engine will increase the volume of the cylinder at BDC so it will increase the CR assuming that you keep the same pistons. As the 5.4 and the 4.6 share the same piston dimensions stroking a 4.6 would increase the CR.
Boring the cylinders would increase the CR. Not by much but it will. Do the math. So rch10007 was right. Go to http://www.csgnetwork.com/compcalc.html

Throw some numbers at it and see for your self. I still believe he is an idiot for other things that he wrote but he is correct with his 3 statements about CRs.

JMC

Old 12-14-2006, 10:25 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
look below

Old 12-14-2006, 10:26 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Faster150
riginally Posted by rch10007
Man, this server is running REALLY slow. It must be using version 5.4!!!

...give it up, that was funny!
rofl that was awesome

THIS WAS FUNNY -

"She was taken, until she found out the guy had a little 4.6er - she's free now"

Old 12-14-2006, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by JMC
Decking the head actually shrinks the Combustion chamber so the CR will increase. Stroking the engine will increase the volume of the cylinder at BDC so it will increase the CR assuming that you keep the same pistons. As the 5.4 and the 4.6 share the same piston dimensions stroking a 4.6 would increase the CR.
Boring the cylinders would increase the CR. Not by much but it will. Do the math. So rch10007 was right. Go to http://www.csgnetwork.com/compcalc.html

Throw some numbers at it and see for your self. I still believe he is an idiot for other things that he wrote but he is correct with his 3 statements about CRs.

JMC
You CANNOT stroke it and keep the same pistons! Jesus people, this is not a difficult concept! Stroking causes an increase in the distance covered by the piston in the bore, but these increases go in both directions, up and down, + and -. Because of that, if you keep the same pistons, they will literally come out the top and through the head. That's exactly why you use a shorter piston. Remember why the older 347 strokers had oil usage problems? Because the piston was so short the wrist pin interfered with the oil ring? That's because ALLLLLLLL strokers use SHORTER pistons. The _ONLY_ reason a 5.4 and 4.6 can use the same pistons is because the 5.4 has a taller block which lets the piston travel higher up the bore so it doesn't ram into the head, or actually _through_ the head! The pistons would literally come out the top of the block if it wasn't taller. This isn't piston slap, it's piston ramming through the head and on it's way to the cams..... slap. But it wouldn't even turn over so it wouldn't matter.

You CANNOT stroke ANYTHING and keep the same geometry pistons. If you do, the pistons will literally come out through the deck where the heads are supposed to be.

Ever wonder why ALL stroker kits come with pistons? Even IF they are for the stock bore and NOT an overbore? Well, now you know.

Wow, JMC, I'm surprised!

You guys just don't know much about strokers. But you're all mod-heads, so it's not suprising.

As far as an overbore goes, you also cannot use the same pistons in this area either! Invariably the compression ratio will be somewhat affected because the valve reliefs will be _somewhat_ different. But those difference are small and generally inconsequential. Aftermarket pistons for a 20, 30, or even 60 overbore, take compression ratio into consideration. If you buy 30 over pistons that are 9.5-1 compression, that's 9.5-1 AFTER the overbore has been considered. The same with a 60. While it is true that an overbore will have a small and inconsequential affect (a 30 overbore in a 4.6 will result in a gain of .06 on a 10-1, so 10.06-1), the piston is designed to take that gain into affect. So a 30 over piston will still have a CR of 10-1, not 10.06-1.

Also, he didn't say that decking raised CR, I did. He said that decking increased the amount of fuel and air in the combustion chamber, which is, of course, waaaaaay wrong.

Last edited by tritonpwr; 12-14-2006 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:39 PM
JMC

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
tritonpwr,

Originally Posted by rch10007 page 48
I can increase compression by:

1. stroking
2. decking or shaving
3. increasing bore
I didn't say you had to stroke the 4.6 all the way out to 5.4. I did write however that if you stroke an engine and use the same piston you will increase the CR. Do you know how far you can stroke the 4.6? The reason that the 5.4 uses a taller deck is because at that stroke length you need to use a longer rod to keep from pulling the piston out of the cylinder at BDC. Using a longer rod will increase the the piston hight at TDC. So you need a taller deck, yes. The longer cylinder length also allows them to lower the CR down to where the 4.6 is. They are using the same piston and heads so the CC is also the same. If they push the piston up the cylinder to the same distance from the top of the deck as the 4.6 they will have increased the CR. So add a little more deck to lower the CR.

JMC

Last edited by JMC; 12-14-2006 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by JMC
if you stroke an engine and use the same piston
Not possible, sorry. Can't stroke s^^t with the same piston, not even to add so much a 1 cubic inch, it's flat f^^king impossible! SOME piston's domes extend into the combustion chamber, but the piston itself does not, cannot, will NOT rise out of the bore, EVER.

What you are failing to realize is that with the stock stroke, at TDC the piston is flush with the deck. To stroke an engine increase the distance the piston travels in BOTH directions. THAT MEANS THE PISTON AT TDC WILL BE HIGHER THAN EVEN WITH THE DECK, as in sticking out the top of the block! Unless you have invented some kind of oval crankshaft that can change shape twice per stroke, using the same piston is bulls^^t.

To extend the stroke in ANY ENGINE, an aftermarket piston with a shorter distance from wrist pin to face MUST MUST MUST MUST BE USED, PERIOD.

Because an aftermarket piston must be used, the CR is completely and solely dependent on the PISTON.

Thinking you will raise CR just by stroking is horse-s^^t. You have to buy a kit or pistons with a higher CR. END OF STORY.

Originally Posted by JMC
So add a little more deck to lower the CR.
Are you on crack? Seriously. Heavy duty pain killers? What?

If you somehow managed to get a 5.4's rotating assembly into a 4.6 block, the pistons would come out the top of the block over a half an inch! THAT'S why the 5.4 has a taller deck. WTF???? Lower compression my a$$. How about keeping the pistons INSIDE the cylinders???

Dude, read a little! Try google, something! Just don't argue when you obviously have no clue how strokers work.

Here.... read this...... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stroker_Kit

I KNOW you have A LOT of knowledge when it comes to these motors, I am NOT disputing that at all. But the way you are thinking this stroke business works is just wrong.

Last edited by tritonpwr; 12-14-2006 at 01:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Is 4.6L Superior to 5.4L