Oil level too high?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 10:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil level too high?

I have a 2005 Screw with 5.4L.

I changed my oil yesterday when I got home from work. I typically take off the oil filter and drain the oil at the same time. This time I took off the old filter first then put on the new filter. The engine still had the same old oil in it. I cranked the truck then put it on the ramps and got under it and drained the oil. I then proceeded to fill the truck with 7 new quarts of oil forgetting that the new filter was already full of old oil. I know my truck takes 7 quarts when the filter is empty.

I need to know how much oil does a typical oil filter hold and will this hurt my engine? The oil level was about 3/4 to 1 full quart high this morning when I checked it.

My buddy claims that it is too much oil and that I need to change the filter again because if I don't I will BLOW A HEAD GASKET. The only reason I don't want to do it is because I use the K&N filter, which is $11.99 at Napa.

I need answers.

Thanks

Old 08-31-2006, 11:31 AM
Man, do you always start at the back of the book and read your way to the front?

Seems to me that you could just take the filter off again, drain it, and spin it back on. Check level. Then repeat if necessary.

Or, may be better yet, open the drain plug, let some oil out, close drain, and check level.

No big deal.

Old 08-31-2006, 11:35 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Why would you want dirty oil in the filter in the first place?

Old 08-31-2006, 11:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The standard size filter for our trucks holds about a half quart. I don't think the world will come to an end here if you're a half quart over filled.

Old 08-31-2006, 01:54 PM
Man, I had my oil changed at one of those places while my back was out. They put 6.5 quarts in and my stick showed 1 quart over. This happened for a while before I caught it. I called the dealership and they told me yeah, it really only holds 5.5 quarts. Whatever, my point is that I drove Hell outta my Expedition with a quart over on the dipstick for at least 6 months. Now I have 97000 mi and run royal purple synthetic.

Old 08-31-2006, 02:54 PM
I would recommend jiffylube for you in the future

Old 08-31-2006, 03:28 PM
I typically do it right but I did it in reverse order this time without thinking of the consequences. I'll know next time though.

Old 09-01-2006, 07:46 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by blackf-150
I would recommend jiffylube for you in the future
ROFLOL!!!

1/2 quart is not much, but yes, it is overfilled. The problem that can create is if the crank comes in contact with the oil, it can turn the oil frothy, and foamy oil doesn't lubricate as well, (obviously). Check the level on the dipstick. If it's above the full mark, drain some out and re-check it. It'll take 5 minutes and ensure you have nothing to worry about.

Personally, I'd just swap out the filter again, but that's just me. Of course, I probably wouldn't have changed the filter, then re-started it to run it up the ramps either LOL!!

-Joe

Quick Reply: Oil level too high?