is this the end of my truck?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 10:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is this the end of my truck?

Hey guys, 1999 f 150 ext cab 4x4 off road 49,000 miles... bought my truck from a town near new york state in november, posted questions before about the underside being very "rusty" took it today to get a quote for exhaust system and the exhaust guy told me that my i may have problems soon because my lower block is rusty, and it could rust out the engine plugs and the engine would seize,,, now how the hell am I supposed to take that? He gains nothing by telling me this, he does not do engine work.. and jeees now i will lie awake in bed until I resolve this,, should I get it to the dealer and trade it now before it doesnt run anymore, or is this guy smoking crack? Please any opinion would help///

Old 03-07-2006, 10:46 PM
Pictures would help. If you are really concerned I would pay somebody for a second opinion. Sounds like he is talking about the freeze plugs to me. Those can be replaced.

Old 03-07-2006, 11:45 PM
Yes... that is exactly what he is talking about,, I will take pixs tommorow after work and post it, if you wouldnt mind checking them out,, that would be great.. my buddy plows and he looked at it tonight and told me that it looks like every other truck in his fleet and hes never heard of someones plugs rusting out and causing the engine to sieze... thanks,, it all started with my rusty exhaust manifolds that they told me they sound like they are leaking, ( which I cant hear a thing ) he said u may wanna replace them too but he didnt want to do that job cause he felt the bolts were too rusty.. this sucks ,, any chance por-15 will cure my whoes?

Old 03-08-2006, 12:22 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Sounds like a **** and bull story to me.

Old 03-08-2006, 02:12 AM
Location: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
all exhaust manifolds are rusty not one that i have seen is not. They are sposed to be rusty.....

Old 03-08-2006, 06:05 PM
Heres some pics guys,, im sorry that I can not figure out how to put them in this respnse, I loaded them onto snapfish ,, im sorry for the incoveniance , but please if u can check em out and let me know what u think

http://www.snapfish.com/thumbnailsha...81/t_=46568381

Last edited by Yellowlab98; 03-08-2006 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:09 PM

Look at it in a positive light. Its just the second law of thermodynamics.

Rust likewise tends to cover metals with protective coatings that slow the process of rusting.

http://www.uh.edu/engines/epi1564.htm

The "mechanics second law of thermodynamics" is to never unbolt, jar, bang or otherwise touch items on a vehicle with a really, really bad case of rust!

Your pictures are not even close to a bad case of rusting.

Old 03-08-2006, 08:28 PM
I'm raising the BS flag. I have never seen a block rust to the extent it causes the engine to seize. Yes, the exhaust manifold on just about all cars rust. This is a ferrous metal. Moisture tends to do this to it. You need to run away from this person, very quickly and find another person to look at your truck.

Old 03-09-2006, 06:36 PM

Here are some pictures of some really bad rusting where flaking has ocurred and eaten into the structures ...

http://web.umr.edu/~cwatkin/cwome/ar...52combined.htm

Old 03-23-2006, 06:38 PM

Oh, I forgot to give you my sympathy, Yellowlab because you did not get one of the good Ford trucks like mine. My engine gaskets leak oil and it gets all over the engine and transmission etc. so I really don't have the rust problems like you have. Next time be sure to ask Ford for a truck that has leaky gaskets.

Old 03-23-2006, 07:11 PM
This so called mechanic is indeed smoking something and doesn't know diddly about what he claims he is talking about. Rusty exhaust manifolds are normal, as well as the engine block rusting. Now, what you might want to check is to determine if that is indeed the original motor. If it came out of a junk yard that was sitting outside for some time, then you might have something that would look something like you are describing. For the most part - I don't think you have anything to worry about. Forget about it and enjoy your truck.

Old 03-23-2006, 09:40 PM
2nd opinion

i say get another side to the story and if the same thing is repeated, just trade it in for another. Make sure its a FORD tho.lol.

Old 03-23-2006, 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by temp1
Oh, I forgot to give you my sympathy, Yellowlab because you did not get one of the good Ford trucks like mine. My engine gaskets leak oil and it gets all over the engine and transmission etc. so I really don't have the rust problems like you have. Next time be sure to ask Ford for a truck that has leaky gaskets.
That's the funniest thing I've heard all day!!! It makes me feel better about a lot of the tractors I have!!! I guess mine are gonna last forever!!!

Old 03-24-2006, 08:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats why I am glad I was born and rasied in Florida. I don't have to deal with all the salty roads eating away at my truck from the bottom side up

Old 03-24-2006, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by chester8420
That's the funniest thing I've heard all day!!! It makes me feel better about a lot of the tractors I have!!! I guess mine are gonna last forever!!!
Heh, Ask an old mechanic about how dirty oil and sludge and stuff is what used to seal the engine. Of course our generation has to have oil changes every 3000 miles and a "Clean engine" is a must! Theres one born every minute.

Quick Reply: is this the end of my truck?