Intake Manifold Porting

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 11:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intake Manifold Porting

here is the rough port job i did yesterday evening. got the inlet side still need to smooth out the rough ripples. but i bought sanding drums n other dremel bits to finish it off. all thats left is the outlets that feed into the heads.. but im waiting on dad to aquire me some of the gaskets so i can gasket match like so... first two are a bit blurry from flash not wanting to turn on...

Old 02-06-2006, 11:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
HI!... I thought you bought "P.I" heads a few weeks back? That's a non "P.I" intake manifold. Anyway, you can unshroud the injector port a ton more than that for better fuel atomization.

Old 02-06-2006, 11:53 PM
yeh i did buy PI heads but i got this manifold for 48 bucks. and since i wont have the money for the cams valves springs and forged internals anytime soon i figured i might as well buy a non pi and port it since i got it for cheap. and yeh imm unshroud the injector pretty good. im just waiting for the outlet gaskets to finish up the porting.

and i havent really even started workin on the outlets. did some mostly just took a wire brush to it to clean the ends off. but hopefully before end of the week ill have it done. my headers should be in tomorrow. i got a set of new 409 stainless Gibson headers for 252.50 off ebay. half what summit wants for em.

Last edited by Faster150; 02-06-2006 at 11:56 PM.
Old 02-07-2006, 05:58 PM
I'm workin on one too. Of course, I went through the first one I was workin on, the number 2 cylinder I think it is. . Finished half, goin real deep with extended bits, and got tired of it. Still sittin there waiting on me to get back at it. I got mine for free, err traded a set of tickets to the atlanta race for it last year. After I saw Neals picture I really started to go at it. The thinnest part of the wall is directly under the injector (when its upside down) and thats where I went through.

Last edited by 98Navi; 02-07-2006 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:00 AM
Originally Posted by 98Navi
I'm workin on one too. Of course, I went through the first one I was workin on, the number 2 cylinder I think it is. . Finished half, goin real deep with extended bits, and got tired of it. Still sittin there waiting on me to get back at it. I got mine for free, err traded a set of tickets to the atlanta race for it last year. After I saw Neals picture I really started to go at it. The thinnest part of the wall is directly under the injector (when its upside down) and thats where I went through.

yeh u just gotta take ur time.

Old 02-08-2006, 10:27 AM
This thread put me back on it last night. I really opened one up like on neals picture. Its gonna take a while to do all 8 plus the center though.

Old 02-08-2006, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by 98Navi
This thread put me back on it last night. I really opened one up like on neals picture. Its gonna take a while to do all 8 plus the center though.

yeh its not a one day project at all. just take ur time and dont rush it

Old 02-08-2006, 05:51 PM
HI!... I did mine in about 8 hours straight in my garage. Don't waste your time with a DREMEL! I used a high speed electric drill with some "*****". And a cylindrical, rounded tip carbide cutter. This set-up makes port like nothing.

Old 02-08-2006, 06:09 PM
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Except for self satisfaction and playing, the work being done on these manifolds won't amount to a 'Hill of Beans' as far as power is concerned.
Have the manifold Extrude Honed so all parts of the runners are opened and smoothed.

Old 02-08-2006, 06:48 PM
HI!... Actually on mine I noticed a huge difference in midrange topend power. So much so that my tuner had to richen me up a bit due to a lean condition in the upper RPM's due to a tone more air flowing (CFM) through the intake manifold. Extrude honing is SO over rated for the price you pay. Been there, done that, never again.

Old 02-08-2006, 07:02 PM
YA, tell me more!

Old 02-08-2006, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by Neal
HI!... Actually on mine I noticed a huge difference in midrange topend power. So much so that my tuner had to richen me up a bit due to a lean condition in the upper RPM's due to a tone more air flowing (CFM) through the intake manifold. Extrude honing is SO over rated for the price you pay. Been there, done that, never again.

yeh i think i got quoted about 800 bucks roughly for honed and extruded all for about 8whp.... no thx.

Old 02-08-2006, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by Neal
HI!... I did mine in about 8 hours straight in my garage. Don't waste your time with a DREMEL! I used a high speed electric drill with some "*****". And a cylindrical, rounded tip carbide cutter. This set-up makes port like nothing.

i have a Dewalt 3/8" 2500RPM drill. a 1/4" Makita 25,000RPM die grinder. aluminum bur, grinding stones. flap wheels of all sizes and grit. and a dremel. i will be doing the fine tweaking with. since it takes off little material and is easier to handle.

Old 02-08-2006, 08:38 PM
This is exactly why I am challenging this foolish hen scratching.
8 hp, hell you can't even feel 10 hp change and some one is going to tell me that hand porting partial small areas in the runners is going to make a big difference!
Let me say now that I have not just come out from under a rock last week.
I have been porting heads, intakes and associated parts for more than 50 years, so don't try to pass this big cfm increase at me and expect me to eat it, especially on a stock or near stock N/A engine.
Ive been down that road years ago with both carburation, fuel injection and supercharging on both gas and alky fuels.
If this is such a big deal then where are the after market manifolds?
Everybody and his brother has gotten into the CAI selling those things at big money because every body buys it in hopes it gets big gains. All it gets is an expensive lesson learned.
At least the extrude honing will get all areas of the runners and not just small parts. I agree it is costly for what you get but it does work when the whole job is taken right into the head runners.
The basic thing is this manifold is a very poor design such that you can't make very much out of it. It was meant to work for the average user with no thought of performance. The design is stricly for long runners lengths to add torque to a small engine in a heavy truck. Hi rpm hp, forget it.
Opening the areas around the injectors dosn't do a thing because the injector spray pattern never come close but sprays into the head runner.

Old 02-08-2006, 11:18 PM
WHen the only alternative is a $1400 intake that will require adaptor plates to even work. The hand dremel porting looks alot better to me.

Quick Reply: Intake Manifold Porting