How to remove crank pulley bolt???

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 08:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How to remove crank pulley bolt???

2001 4.6L. Just got my e-fans and pulleys, but the directions don't say which way the bolt comes out. The "L" guys say reverse, but I've seen other wise on here as well. Which was is it and how in the hell do you break it loose w/o an impact? I also read something about three bolts that have to come off first??? I don't see any though. Thanks!!!

Old 07-25-2005, 08:21 PM
NEVERMIND!!! She popped!!! 5 lb. hammer, (BFH tool) 1/2" drive ratchet, 18mm deep, old bicycle seat post as cheater, PB blaster, put her in 5th. gear and 3 whacks later...she popped. Thanks!!!

Old 07-25-2005, 09:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks for what?

you should have used a puller

beating the snots out of the crank is not good

but whatever
...zap!

Old 07-25-2005, 10:47 PM
Thumbs down

Hahaha...what do you mean should have used puller? You have to take the nut off first, then use a harmonic balancer 3-prong removal kit, not just any puller. I also didn't beat on the crank. Why did you reply again?

Old 07-25-2005, 10:59 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I've never tried removing the crank pulley bolt without an impact gun. If I had to though, I'd use a long pull handle and put it against the idler or pitman arm or something and bump the starter. Worked on V6 Taurus SHOs.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:47 PM
I am trying to remove the crank pulley bolt. How to you keep the crank from moving?

Old 11-30-2009, 08:35 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
FYI Just a some information for future reference regarding hammering on the crankshaft. We have probably all done it to some extent however I have personally seen thrust bearing failures that were related to driving the crank damper on or off using a hammer. The thrust bearing (#5 main) is located at the rear of the crank. When hammering on the damper it drives the crank rearward/forward and can crack the thrust bearing shoulder causing a bearing failure. It is best to tap lightly to just get it started and then use a longer bolt to pull/tighten it on 1/2 inch or so until the original bolt can be started with enough threads without stripping to pull it on and fasten it all the way.

Last edited by DYNOTECH; 11-30-2009 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always use an impact, much easier.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by flbuilder1
I am trying to remove the crank pulley bolt. How to you keep the crank from moving?
I just had to remove mine this weekend as I am replacing head gaskets. I removed the inspection cover off the bottom of the bell housing to gain access to the flex plate. I had my son hold a breaker bar inside the bell housing, up against the teeth on the flex plate while I used an 18mm deep socket on a 1/2" long handled ratchet and it turned right off.

Obviously if you have access to air tools, you don't need all that but some of us aren't that lucky. I do have an air compressor, but it is small and puts out just enough CFM's to run my 1/4" and 3/8" air ratchets. I also have 3/8" and 1/2" impact guns but my compressor isn't big enough to run those.

Richard

Last edited by rj8806; 11-30-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by rj8806
I just had to remove mine this weekend as I am replacing head gaskets. I removed the inspection cover off the bottom of the bell housing to gain access to the flex plate. I had my son hold a breaker bar inside the bell housing, up against the teeth on the flex plate while I used an 18mm deep socket on a 1/2 long handled ratchet and it truned right off.

Obviously if you have access to air tools, you don't need all that but some of us aren't that lucky. I do have an air compressor, but it is small and puts out just enough CFM's to run my 1/4" and 3/8" air ratchets. I also have 3/8" and 1/2" impact guns but my compressor isn't big enough to run those.

Richard
Or if its a one man show like me with no air tools, I used the engine bump method to take mine off, done in two seconds, but be very careful if you go that route...Youtube has a few videos of the engine bump method if you never heard or seen it, some enjoyable viewing.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by batn68
Or if its a one man show like me with no air tools, I used the engine bump method to take mine off, done in two seconds, but be very careful if you go that route...Youtube has a few videos of the engine bump method if you never heard or seen it, some enjoyable viewing.

I know of that method too, but don't like it. Has the potential to be very dangerous.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:44 PM
I HAD NO IDEA THAT THIS THREAD WAS FROM 2009!!! 😲😂Well, I'm in a situation. I need to remove the boot for the pulley. I've got the entire too half of the motor torn off so I cannot loosen the bolt by bumping the ignition. Which is just as well since, while it is simple, way too many things can go wrong. I dont have anyone with me so locking the flywheel will be difficult. Im going to need a lucky hit on the breaker bar with a very small sledge. Too bad that these aren't designed so you could put a locking bolt through the pulley into the engine.

Last edited by Dennis Lynch; 08-20-2018 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Old post
Old 08-20-2018, 08:45 PM

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I remember one time my buddy was working on a car in my shop, and he accidentally left an open end wrench in the engine bay. He started his truck up, revs the engine, and the wrench dropped into the fan causing it to become a fast moving projectile. Luckily no one got hurt except a 6 inch gouge in fire rock.

Old 08-21-2020, 04:47 PM
I didn't want to read about two guys having a pissing contest .First guy was done .
nevermind!

Quick Reply: How to remove crank pulley bolt???