Draining oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 04:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Draining oil

I have a '97 4x4, and when Im taking out the screw for the oil, it drains straight down, but as soon as I remove the screw, it shoots out maybe a foot over...my oil pan isnt that big...the opening is only maybe 10" wide.

So I always end up with a giant puddle of oil under my truck and a hand soaked in hot oil (and sometimes a few spots on my face). Does anybody know of a good system that I can use that makes this process easier/cleaner? Also I was hoping for something that wont cause any clearance issues...

I've seen something at AutoZone once, but I didn't look to closely at it, is it any good?

Thanks.

Old 02-21-2004, 05:20 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Move your drain pan closer to the drain bolt. If it is more than a foot away it is more difficult to get the oil to drain into it than if is is only 3 inches away. The oil doesn'd come out at 90°angle so with a little practice You will end up knowing where to place the container. You could alco invest in a drain valce the likes of Fumoto.
http://www.fumotovalve.com/

Regards

Jean Marc chartier

Old 02-21-2004, 05:22 PM
you could put the oil pan up onto a block of wood or something to get it up closer to the hole.

or hold the pan up to the hole with 1 hand and pull the screw with the other. the oil will go right in then immediately lower the pan so the oil doesn't run to one side and want to dump on you.

Old 02-21-2004, 06:18 PM
I've thought about just raising the pan up...but it would be nice to have some way of going without the bolt since that practically always dumps oil on my hand no matter how fast I try to move out of the way.

Thanks for the suggestions

Old 02-21-2004, 08:31 PM
fumotovalves are worth the money.

Old 02-21-2004, 08:45 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I agree with moving the pan closer to the oil pan. I changed the oil on my wifes car yesterday and the freakin wind was blowing it all over the place (outside).

I changed my oil today and left the plastic plug in my oil drain pan. The plastic plug ended up plugging the hole on the oil drain pan and it started to run over the sides of the pan instead of inside the oil drain pan.

I replaced the Mobil One oil with Amsoil 25,000 mile type and Amsoil filters. Any Amsoil users please feel free to pat me on the back and give me atta boy's. I will take all the warm fuzzy's I can get now-a-days.

Hell, I could even tell my vehicles would run better with the Amsoil just by looking at the oil in the bottles before I opened them.

Old 02-22-2004, 03:33 AM
LOL!
DO NOT USE ANY OF THESE STUPID OIL PLUG VALVE PRODUCTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A buddy of mine used one of these stupid things and one day he's driving down the road la de da. Next thing the kid knows he hears a big pow and his engine siezes. Turns out the valve plug thing opened and let the engine oil drian while he was driving.

Here are a few tips:

Use a bucket or pan thats big enough so when you pull the plug its big enough to catch all the oil when it shoots out and drips.

Or you can do things the neat freak way like i do somtimes and turn the oil drian plug really slowly until its barley still in the pan. At that point oil should be slowly leaking out. After you do this let it drian for about ten minutes and you can pull the plug all the way out without having one of these messy oil spatters.

Old 02-22-2004, 10:17 AM
rclay I am sorry but you are wrong yet again. (Other posts like these engines have distributor caps)

your friend was prolly at fault or used a cheap fram drain system.

the fumoto drain valves mentioned above (On all of my vehicles) is approved for use on all Catipillar heavy equipment, toyota, honda, mercury marine, etc.

I have had one on my truck for over 3 years now. it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. when I buy a new truck though I will get the one with the hose nipple on it becase there is 0 clearance issues under these trucks and like mentioned above when it is windy out it is a pain when the oil blows all over the place!!

trust me when I tell you that a fumoto valve will not ever open by accident ever, even when you go wheelin.

Old 02-22-2004, 02:15 PM
I just installed a fumoto valve on my 03 Screw. I can't wait til the next oil change! I am looking into a oil filter relocation kit though...I want to make this a very easy job!

Old 02-22-2004, 05:28 PM
Did you get the version with the hose connector on it? or just the regular valve?

Do you think it would cause any clearance issues (for instance when off roading)?

Old 02-22-2004, 09:26 PM
I got the one with the "nipple" on it. I don't imagine that it would cause any clearance issues. The valve, along with the stock bolt, comes out of the pan at an angle. I dosent really stick out that far.

Old 02-22-2004, 10:52 PM
i'm a tec at a cat dealer and quite a few different engines come with the fumoto valves. they never have a leaking problem. what thread does the 5.4 use on the drain plug. maybe i'll be able to order one from work if so i'll post the part number and price

Old 02-22-2004, 11:28 PM
It was part # F106...the fumoto part #

Old 02-22-2004, 11:31 PM
I think the version with the nipple has a "N" in there somewhere.

Old 02-23-2004, 02:17 PM
I've seen those Fumoto drain valves in magazines. They look cool, but my luck something will snag the lever and open it. Fram has a snap coupling, sort of like an air hose coupler, and a short hose that attaches it. Not sure how the oil drain is activated.

I've had the same 24" diameter galvanized oil drain pan for 30 years and hardly ever had trouble hitting the mark. As for oil running over the hand, I've learned how to get it out without that happening. Besides, I will not attempt an oil change on a hot motor. When I was a mechanic...yeah I had no choice. But now that I only do it for myself I'll wait till it cools down.

Quick Reply: Draining oil