Draining oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 02:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FYI...The fumoto valve is very heavy duty but to help your mind rest even more, you can also get a safety clip, for $1, that prevents the valve from opening. It takes a pair of pliers to remove this clip. This valve is "fool proof". Don't be afraid of it!

Old 02-23-2004, 05:56 PM
I wouldnt be too worried about it just opening by itself.

Im more worried about something (like a rock) hitting it and causing oil to come out. But in that case Im more worried the valve would get ripped out before the valve just accidentally opens

Old 02-23-2004, 06:09 PM
I know a guy (good friend) who had one of these valves on his van. He put the van in the ditch when we were fishing and had to be pulled out. We drug it along the edge of the ditch for about 30 feet before the right front tire finally hooked up and we got it out. When we checked under the van for damage we had to dig dirt and sod from the suspension and off of and around the valve. Valve was still tight, closed, and had no damage. I'm a believer. There's one on my F150.

Old 02-23-2004, 07:11 PM
My wife recently swerved to miss an old lady cutting in front of her and when she went onto the shoulder the undercarriage of her minivan hit a huge rock which fired the air bags, broke my wifes forearm in 15 places, threw the van up on two wheels for 50 feet, then into a ditch. it caused 12k of under carrigiage damage!!

in short they had to replace the oil pan, trans pan, all cross members, air cond compressor, engine sub frame, etc...

The moral of the story is that there is very very little clearance under a 2002 dodge grand caravan and my wife basically tore the entire underside off!! and guess what??? the fumoto drain valve didn't leak nor did it have a scratch on it even though the oil pan was mangled.

they are more heavy duty than the stock drain plugs. I guarantee that if it was one of those fram ones which are much larger than the fumoto's it would have been torn off.

Old 02-23-2004, 11:46 PM
Cool

I'll definitely look into this about the next time Im getting close to needing an oil change.

Old 02-24-2004, 11:05 AM
get a fumoto valve, they are great. Oil changes are kind of slow but this gives me chance to do other things to the engine. Make sure you get the proper size hose for the fumoto valve.

Old 02-24-2004, 11:28 AM
I'm running one too. I have had no problems with it since I got it 2 years ago. Well except when I decided to take it in to Valvoline for a professional change once...... I wanted their pumps to clean out the system good..... Those idiots were afraid of my valve and refused to do the oil change. Pansies. Anyway, I 4x4 all summer and not a rock nor log has disengaged mine.

Quick Reply: Draining oil