Fuel filter help with a twist

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2003, 08:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel filter help with a twist

Hi all, its been awhile since I have been around but I got a problem and I though you all could help me out.

On the way over to the girl friends house tonight the truck started running funny and I was going through fuel like mad. So when I got to the GF house all I could smell was gas and when I climbed under the truck the fuel filter was pissing fuel everywhere. It looks like the outlet side has cracked at the base

So I have no tools here (very few) and no way to get home to get my tool...is there anyway I can change the filter without the filter removal tool? I have my spare filter with me but no tool (yes i am an idiot)

Can it be done??

Old 10-30-2003, 08:24 PM
You'll need a set of picks to release the retaining clips, it'll be a B!tch, it can be done.

Old 10-30-2003, 08:43 PM
just buy a cheap plastic set of release tools when you pick up the filter. if you keep them clean you can prob. return them

Old 10-30-2003, 08:55 PM
yeah I bought my plastic disconnects @ napa for like 5 or 6 bucks...

Old 10-30-2003, 11:32 PM
A couple jewelers screw drivers should work. If you have to hack off the connectors and use a chunk of hose and wire to replace the filter.

Old 10-31-2003, 12:37 AM
If you take a beer can (empty of course) and cut strips of aluminum jus wide enough to fit between the filter shoulder and the garter spring and wrap them around the tub then slide them under the spring, you may have to slide several strips under the spring (like maybe 8 or 10) that should expand the spring enough to make it work.

Old 10-31-2003, 12:41 AM
plastic pen, cut the top off, cut a slit down one side. Might work.

Old 10-31-2003, 09:28 AM
A butterknife works great take it and bend it and hammer a dish into the center of the blade that will conform to the tube. Slide that in while pulling back on the filter it will pop right off. It will release only one side of the clamp at a time but it doesn't take alot of pressure to make that work.

tom

Old 11-02-2003, 10:04 AM
Ok just in case anyone is searching for this info in the future this is how i did it.

I took a Bic pen and cut it in half in sections and then cut it long ways as well.

Climb under the truck and push the sections under the fuel line where the tool usually goes and then use a butter knife to give them that last nudge into the connector.

Then give the line a good tug and it comes undone.

Two things, gas breaks down pen plastic so you need to work quick

Find the thickest pen material you can to do this .

All done

Quick Reply: Fuel filter help with a twist