5.4 idle miss acceleration stutter

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 10:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4 idle miss acceleration stutter

Hi, this is my first time here. I own a 2000 f-150 that has been good for it's first week with me. The truck recently sat outside while we had our first snow. I start it and it misses at idle and is rough accelerating. I thought maybe the wx could have something to do with it. I drove the truck about 60 miles and still the same. The stumble is worse when accelerating at speed ,.outside temp is around 32 and snow is remaining. I had a look under the hood, but nothing looked out of the ordinary as far as snow or something being there. Where is ignition coil located? The stutter feels like a cylinder just cutting in and out, truck will buck back and forth at highway speed but worse when pedalling it. Please help.

Old 10-28-2003, 11:12 PM
You are probably correct. The ignition coils are located over each spark plug on the 5.4

Those are the black things located in between each fuel injector.

Take a 7mm socket and remove the bolt from each on in turn. Wipe the moisture away and reinstall it. Should fix the problem.

Wait long enough the CEL will flash intermittently and then you read the code it will tell you which cylinder is misfiring.

Welcome to the my first 5.4 club. one hell of a learning curve but it is a good motor.

IMHO

tom

Old 10-29-2003, 12:56 AM
welcome.... great advice, first wet weather always brings out the ign. problems.

Old 11-02-2003, 02:14 AM
misfire

coils on the 5.4 are a problem most likely one needs to be replaced

Old 11-02-2003, 10:30 AM
Thank you for the help it turned out to be the coil on #5

Quick Reply: 5.4 idle miss acceleration stutter