5.4 spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 11:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4 spark plugs

Can anyone tell me the part number and make for the next heat range cooler plug for my 2000 5.4 Windsor?

All the local parts houses tell me there isn't one. I have tried everything to stop the detonation I am experiencing with mine.

Sure would like to cool the plugs down as it is not a problem to tell the motor is running lean.

Have ran Motorcraft, Bosch and Autolite.
They all seem to look the same after 1200 miles.

on the bright side I ever figure out why this engine is detonating I have lots of spare plugs.

Old 08-07-2003, 09:56 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Have you tried cleaning the MAFS ?

Some members have reported that they have pinging when the MAFS is dirty.

I took JMC's advice and cleaned it with windex sprayed on a Q-Tip. Be carful not to break the wires in the barrel.

How many total miles are on the truck ?

Good luck

Old 08-07-2003, 11:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tkarter - Autolite 103 plugs are one heat range colder than stock. I've had those in my 4.6 for about 3,000 miles now.

Old 08-07-2003, 02:36 PM
Thanks I will give the Autolite 103 plugs a chance.

I have cleaned the MAF several times. Replaced it.

Replaced the EGR and DPFE.

Compelet fuel system cleaning.

Always pings on the best fuel I can find. Will detonate under heave accleration.

The truck is a 2000 4x4 screw 5.4 windsor with 45 thousand miles at present. The problems started at 38000

Ford shops all tell me the truck is fine.

It has burned the plugs out before so I know it is not fine.

Old 08-07-2003, 11:51 PM
Got detonation? I'd say the engine is running hotter than it should be. Check to make sure the thermostat is opening at the correct temp (I think it's 190*F). Also check to make sure the EGR valve is not stuck open or partially open. You may also want to clean the radiator (i.e. remove bug carcasses). How about the O2 sensors? Don't they report back to the computer and tell it to run leaner or richer?

Just brainstormin'...hope it helps.

Let us know what you find. I seriously doubt it's the plugs and going to a higher-temp plug is not going to solve the root problem, only put a band-aid on it.

On edit: Scratch the EGR idea... I just re=read your post and saw that you already replaced it. Sorry.

Last edited by Wombat; 08-07-2003 at 11:53 PM.
Old 08-08-2003, 01:54 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like a carbon build up problem.I had the same problem.I bought a can of SeaFoam,pulled the brake vacuum line and let the motor suck in 5 ounces of it,then killed the motor.Let it sit for 10-15 minutes then start it up,but be ready to cloud up the neighborhood with smoke.Go run it on the interstate to clean it out,then put some Motorcraft 22Es single platinum plugs,or 22EEs double platinums gapped at .054".And pour the rest of the SeaFoam in the gas tank.Good luck!

Old 08-08-2003, 12:37 PM
I will try the seafoam.

I have done all other possible things and was too lazy to list them all. I have also replaced thermostats cleaned radiator and the usual what you do when you got detontation problems stuff.

I am also thinking that there is a clatter before the dentonation. I believe the only other thing I have done is tried replacing injectors. At this point I have spent enough money that I believe I wll go with new injectors when the seafoam doesn't solve the problem. Or I guess I should have said if it doesn't solve the problem.

Thanks for all the advice. I am pretty sure this 5.4 is not the normal. I nor Ford are just unable to find the abnormality to it.

tom

Old 08-08-2003, 02:48 PM
Wow,sounds like you really have a bad case of carbon build up.You can also try the old timers method;get a plastic spray bottle filled with water and spray it directly into the throttle body as the truck is running as you operate the throttle by hand.Also,you may need a de-carbonizing,like a three step procedure from BG,3M,etc.Try the SeaFoam first,then the water,if those fail try the de-carbonizing.But it definitely sounds like a bad carbon problem.Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 08-09-2003, 12:02 AM
As I am agreeing it has to be carbon. Ford tells me it is not. I still think so.

Now I have been unable to find the seafoam product as of this time. I will keep looking.

I choose one of the age old methods my dad taught me. Marvel Mystery oil will kick the crap out of carbon. Just with the modern engines not wanting to replace oxygen sensors one has to be limited in the use of it.

I added 14 ounces to the fuel tank and drove the truck 100 miles tonight. It seems to have quieted somewhat. Not done yet. Until I find the seafoam I am going to add that or more to each tank of gas.

One added question. Just how loud can an injector click get?

My next post will be how much for a long block? It just might be cheaper to replace the engine than to keep replacing all that can be wrong. One would think they would have a new engine by replacing but it isn't working out that way for me.

Old 08-09-2003, 12:24 AM
I get the SeaFoam from Carquest auto parts.Try this website for a location near you; www.SeaFoamsales.com

About the injectors,on any 4.2V6,they are noisey,which is what is in my truck.I dont know about the 5.4 tho.

Old 08-11-2003, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the info. Been very helpful.

Not sure where the problem will end but I do know one thing I won't forget what fixed it. Been the most elusive thing to troubleshoot I ever did see.

Will let you know if the seafoam works to solve my dillema.

tom

Old 08-11-2003, 01:49 PM
Napa Auto Parts also stocks Seafoam.

I use it 1oz per gallon for my boat. It has a 70 HP 2 Stroke Evinrude. The spark plugs are always incredibly clean, even in that 2 Stroke. I change the plugs every year anyway but I could probably just use the same ones after re-gapping them they are so clean.

I'm sold on Seafoam and have been for years when it comes to cleaning carbon and preventing carbon buildup in the first place. It's expensive to run it as a regular gas tratment all the time but it will clean carbon if you let it soak in the engine by letting a vacuum line draw several ounces into the manifold.

Be patient with the Seafoam. If your pinging is carbon related the Seafoam will clean it. If it's really bad, you may have to repeat the process a couple of times.

Good luck.

Old 08-11-2003, 11:50 PM
Found the seafoam at NAPA. Thanks ronhop.

Now here is what the first application told me.

I used it as described. I am now experiencing only pinging. I also cleaned the MAF sensor. I removed it and made sure to clean all of it.

I drove the truck after using the seafoam. It pinged. It did not for the first time in months detonate. I could hear the injectors. My opinion on that is they rattle louder when running lean.

I drove the truck 200 miles. Nothing got any better. Still pings. Not detonating.

Jump on the throttle in low gear it winds up to 4500 and then a noise that sounds very close to detonation happens. It is not detonation or injectors.
I then stop the truck put it in reverse. Hammered the brake and throttle. It sits at 2000 RPM for a bit then drops to 1000
Then let off the throttle guess what? Same noise I hear on accelaration. Sounds like it is coming from the tranny or tranfer case. NO way!! Gas tank is closer to the tranny than anything else I know.

I am betting it is the sock in the tank and my Ford is trying to collapse the tank. I have changed fuel filters done all I have read here. Nothing helps. But reason tells me that if the fuel filter is dirty so is the tank.

What I think I better do is get a new sock on the fuel filter if not replace both. Fuel pump and sock.

What is your opinion?

The old slogan "all of us are smarter than one of us" now comes to mind.

Last edited by tkarter; 08-11-2003 at 11:58 PM.
Old 08-12-2003, 12:02 AM
Well,i'm stumped.Try this website;www.FlatRateTech.com
It is run by Ford techs.If they cant figure it out no one can! Make sure you give them all the details from beginning till now! Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 08-12-2003, 04:50 PM
Thanks BlueOvalFitter. That is a good tech site for sure. Still after reading all I could see there I doubt the answers come in different than they do here.

I have to make sure I stick to this until I find it. I know sooner or later the answer will come.

If I really described all the things that had been tried with my truck by both myself and Ford I would have a rather thick book.

Maybe it really is normal. LOL

Going to try another round of the SeaFoam in the next tank of gas. Thinking I will stick to the Autolites don't like the price on Motorcraft plugs and haven't seen a nickels worth of difference in performance between the two.

Basically they both burn white.

Thanks for all the help with this

tom

Quick Reply: 5.4 spark plugs