5.4 spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 05:05 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Tom,trust me on this one,get rid of the Autolites! Go back with OE Motorcraft plugs.I learned the hard way.Yes,its true Autolite makes Motorcraft plugs,but,they are built to Fords specs! They may look alike but are not! I contacted Autolite and they told me this info themselves! Good luck!

Old 08-12-2003, 05:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I trust you on the plugs but until the things quit melting it will get autolite and or bosch's. Plugs aren't causing this trucks problems.

PCM looks good on the machine it only reads sensors. This is something that is happening after a sensor. Has to be but can't explain knock sensor not retarding timing or the O2 sensors not showing the extreme lean conditions.

Maybe replacing the PCM is the answer. I gotta save some lunch money before I go back to Ford.

tom

Old 08-12-2003, 05:27 PM
These are all just thoughts as I do not know your full trucks history (Repairs etc.)

In your description what is the difference between detonation and pinging? Pinging is detonation.

My wife had a Subaru and me and 3 worthless dealers couldn't figure out the detonation/ping. Finally the 4th smart dealer tested everything instead of just gusing and reading computer codes. It turned out to be a intake manifold leak!! Very small and hard to find, but a new intake gasket fixed it forever. Check all your hoses (Vac) very very carefully.

Do you run high octane? There are theroies that higher octane increases carbon build up. That is why you don't see Amoco ads anymore about driving your engine clean.

Check the entire EGR system not just the valve. The valve itself is very rarely the culprit it is just easier for mechanics to replace it.

Very very commonly over looked on Fords (And most other moderen cars for that matter) is the coolant temp sensor. It won't throw codes but it will tell the PCM the wrong info and run the whole show lean. Trust me on this one.

This guy is a pro on detonation/ping and at curing what other people can't fix because he really thinks outside the box and truly understands the modern vehicle. (Don't ever tell him you have been doing something for 20-30 years, he will hang up on you)
http://www.patgosscarworld.com/

Good luck

Old 08-13-2003, 01:48 PM
Thanks. I have been testing everything in a logical process as far as I can see.

Yes in my opinion pinging is detonation.
I have since coming here learned that most call pinging the result of low quality fuel. Detonation some thing else.

I have that stopped for now. The second round of SeaFoam seems to have stopped the pinging. I will read the plugs after a few miles and see what I now think of the fuel mixture.

I would read any code it would set. It doesn't set codes.

tom

Old 08-14-2003, 10:45 PM
Found the problem. Totally stinks what is wrong with this truck at what is now 48000 miles.

The right head is leaking. Not spilling anti freeze yet. It blows oil bubbles out the botton of the head.

The noise I am hearing in the top of the exhaust after the SeaFoam is compression in the exhaust.

That ticking noise reported when standing near the right tire on these Fords. I am betting I know exactly where to point now.

Not sure what it costs to replace a head on this engine. I know I don't have the tools to work on it. I don't know anyone that does. So I guess I get to spend more money with Ford.

Any way I found an end solution to the problem at hand. I am not sure I have all of them fixed. This 5.4 is without a doubt the most dissappointing of all engines I have ever owned or even worked on.

Ford will love me before I get this truck paid for. You can't make me love a Ford ever again.

Dodge means to avoid I always thought but those Cummins are looking better every minute.

tom

Quick Reply: 5.4 spark plugs