Resetting Computer after Upgrades & Mods??

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Resetting Computer after Upgrades & Mods??

Guys,

Not sure if this is the right place for this question, but, I'm looking for a link/thread or explanation of the proper format for "rebooting" the computer after doing modifications or upgrades to the stock components, example: K&N filter kit, exhaust work, etc. so it will read the new changes and reconfigure properly.
I have read in the exhaust section where some guys see improvement and others get loss of power, same in the air filter mods threads. I'm thinking the computer can't respond to these improvements without a reboot so if any experts can shed some lite it would be appreciated!

EXAMPLE: exhaust, I can't believe that upgrading the "Y" pipe constriction alone in a 5.4 with Magnaflow SISO wouldnt just kick butt in performance and gas mileage but reading the threads it looks marginal at best. Same with the K&N setup, all the K&N's I've ever run have just totally changed(++) the performance of the motors but yet it doesn't reflect in the posts on the board. Is it that the computer isn't getting the message??

THANKS in advance!!

Old 07-29-2003, 04:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sure 500 people will respond to this question, but I believe the procedure is remove the negative cable from your battery post, then turn on your headlite switch; wait 15 mins; reconnect battery cable (reconfigure time and radio station settings, etc), and go!

Old 07-29-2003, 06:25 PM
Yep, what he said. You simple remove power from the computer and it is reset.

Old 07-29-2003, 06:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I belive once you start it back up after resetting the computer you are supposed to let it idle for atleast 5 minutes to give it time to learn the proper 'idle properties.' The computer will then relearn your driving habits after you start driving it again. Driving aggressively may give you a little more power while driving conservatively may get you slightly better gas milage.

Old 07-29-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by STX/98
I belive once you start it back up after resetting the computer you are supposed to let it idle for atleast 5 minutes to give it time to learn the proper 'idle properties.' The computer will then relearn your driving habits after you start driving it again. Driving aggressively may give you a little more power while driving conservatively may get you slightly better gas milage.
That's a good and important point. It does take some time to relearn so if it runs kind of crappy for a few days no need to worry.

Old 07-29-2003, 07:19 PM
Okay I'm wading in....Mike has confirmed this before... Dissconnect the negative terminal..turn on the key to the run posistion turn on everything(radio,headlights,ETC.)...turn everything off turn key back to removable posistion...I'd even remove it because of the PATS set up....reconnect the negative side of battery...take it for a NORMAL drive on streets...no hot *******...then up on highway and back to the streets...let the computer relearn it,s perimeters..you should then be set...that simple

Old 07-29-2003, 10:00 PM
Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
I reset the computers on my 97 twice while I had it. Both times the truck stalled the first four or five times it came to a stop. Then the computer "relearned" the proper idle speeds and it began idling properly again. I mention this just so that you don't go tearing out the driveway and into rush hour traffic just as it stalls.

Old 07-30-2003, 11:20 AM
My understanding of the uncomplicated procedure is to disconnect the negative battery terminal and turn the headlights on for 5 minutes. Thats it!

Quick Reply: Resetting Computer after Upgrades & Mods??