Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 11:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Coolant Leak

I have a leak in my coolant system. I notice everytime I park my vehicle there is a puddle left behind. I have not touched any area near the water pump or serviced it. Someone told me that I may only have to take the bolts out one at a time on the water pump and put a permatex sealant. I am trying to find out where the leak is but it is dificult to see. Do I need to replace my water pump? Or the gasket on the timiming cover. There is no indication of contamination in the oil.

Old 05-27-2003, 11:35 AM
Which engine do you have?

Old 05-27-2003, 11:47 AM
Coolant leak

I have the V-6 4.ltr

Old 05-27-2003, 12:14 PM
coolant leak

I have been to the Leaky fords link. This was the web site that informed me of the oil looking like a milkshake. It does't so I don't suspect any contamination. AJ I think I will have to replace the pump and put the permatex in the bolts all at once. Huge Job man. I attempted this weekend but could not get the transmission coolent lines off, the bottom one anyway. I gave up and put it all back together. I am gonna buy a new pump and then try it again. Is that fan hard to get off? It's left handed. is there a way to take it off with out using that special tool?

AJ I see you are interested in guitars. I just purchased a schetor and put my own pickups in it. I am having a heck of a time wiring the 5 way switch. lol you got a schematic? Mega switch E

Old 05-27-2003, 12:15 PM
You should figure out when your engine was built and whether or not it has the faulty front cover gasket. If the engine were built with the bad gasket, you can bet that is what's leaking now.

I can't tell you how to replace it because I paid a dealer to fix mine. But, I know that removing the radiator would make this a lot easier. The fan is a regular right hand thread. With some adjustable wrenches, you should be able to get it off.

Wait around for someone who's done this on their engine. They can tell exactly what's required.

As for the guitar. I take it your Schecter is a 3 pickup Strat type? Seymour Duncan's Website will have the schematics. Just be careful with your soldering iron. The pots and capacitors are extremely fragile when exposed to so much heat.

Last edited by AjRagno; 05-27-2003 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-27-2003, 01:10 PM
Coolant leak

Great web site, it not only has the schematics. It has all kinds of different configurations. Thanks man!

Old 05-27-2003, 01:11 PM
Cooant Leak

How much did the dealer charge you? TO replace the gasket?

Old 05-27-2003, 01:35 PM
About $750.00 Parts & Labor. The Lower Intake was so weak though that it blew during the pressure test and that was another $400.00+. You should really be prepared for both, just in case. The shop rate at the dealer that did mine was around $95.00 per hour. That's higher than most.

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak