Replacing my spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2003, 06:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing my spark plugs

I am about to replace my plugs for the first time. 56K on the odometer. I am assuming the plugs in there now are stock. Bought the truck with 52 on it. I have the 4.6 w/auto. I am starting some upgrades and want to know what is the best all around plug. This is my first time building a Ford and have seen a lot of people using the Bosch plug. This brings questions to me??

What is everyone else using? I work part time at a parts store, so all name brands are within easy reach.

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-25-2003, 08:16 PM
Only One-

A lot of people I know stay the heck away from Bosch Plats. They foul easy and sometimes even cause misfiring (as was the case in a non-Ford application that I witnessed). I would suggest (just my opinion) Motorcraft Plats., or if you feel like you want to splurge, go with Densos. The only problem with Densos is the fact that they are $8-12 a piece. I think you'd benifit from the Densos more if you have a modified truck. Either way, you can't go wrong with Motorcraft Plats.

Good luck, and wait to see what others suggest.

-Matt

Old 05-25-2003, 09:53 PM
I agree the Motorcraft plat. are a good plug to use. That is what I plan on using when I replace mine. As mf150 stated, unless you have modified your engine the other plugs are basically a waste of money...

Old 05-25-2003, 09:57 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
OO,

You can't go wrong with the Motorcraft.
The guys are right, if you have a stock engine don't waste your bucks on the iridium plugs.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 05-25-2003, 11:14 PM
Thanks

Thanks alot for the helpful info. I will get to changing those tomorrow. Are there any helpful hints to getting to all 8 plugs?

I remember reading on the NLOC site that a few guys were having trouble with one of the plugs!

Once again, thanks alot

Only one

Old 05-26-2003, 11:23 AM
I just changes my plugs couple of weeks ago, a real pain the butt,plugs 3 and 4 on the passenger side is where the boys are seperated from the men,my plug boots were rusted to the plugs,i found getting the boots off plugs was the hardest.I even created a few new cuss words.

Old 05-26-2003, 05:37 PM
i changed plugs today on my 4.6 and i honestly didn't think it was that bad. only one that was hard to get to was #4. just get in there and get after it, don't rush. use a spark plug socket with the rubber insert to hold the plug, makes pulling it out a lot easier.

Old 05-26-2003, 09:23 PM
only one-
Just curious, what are your plans for upgrades?

I personally found it harder to change the plugs on the 5.4 as compared to the 4.6.

Old 05-26-2003, 09:43 PM
Right now I have in progress:

Modify my intake so that a Lightning intake will fit

Getting my Lightning bumper painted and finding brackets to mount it

Looking for a used si/do Flowmaster muffler until I can decide which exhaust I want (actually I am looking for L side skirts and don't want to pay big money on exhaust only to reroute it when I get L skirts in which the exhaust exits in front of the rear wheel)

I am changing my plugs this week

I want a throttle body spacer

I also need some 3:73 gears

That will keep me busy for a while but I always have my eyes open on a deal for something else I could use.

WHEW!!!!!!!!

Old 05-26-2003, 09:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Originally posted by turnkey42
I just changes my plugs couple of weeks ago, a real pain the butt,plugs 3 and 4 on the passenger side is where the boys are seperated from the men,my plug boots were rusted to the plugs,i found getting the boots off plugs was the hardest.I even created a few new cuss words.

A few new cuss words, huh??

LMAO on that one... !!

I know what you mean. Sometimes, it seems like the designers at Ford must sit and think up ways to mess with us...

Thanks for the laugh...

Quick Reply: Replacing my spark plugs