5.0 timing for street

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 09:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5.0 timing for street

Just bought a 92 Mustang LX 5.0/AOD for my daughter as a first car. I have changed the plugs,wires,dist.cap/and rotor. The engine runs perfect once it is warmed up. There is a little rough idle situation when first started, but it clears up.
I am not sure the timing is the problem, as it could be a dirty injector or something in the fuel delivery system. (I changed the fuel filter).
However, I do want to set the timing for maximum performance.
Can anyone tell me where it should be to achieve this.
It also seems to lack the initial get up and go I expected it would have when you kick it down while cruising.
Thank you in advance for any input.

Marc

Old 05-19-2003, 10:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The cheapest way to get a little more hp is to get rid of the air intake silencer. Remove the air filter box, the silencer is between the inner and outer fender. It takes a little work to get it out, but it is free hp.

Rob

Old 05-19-2003, 11:38 AM
Marc,

I can run 14 degrees BTDC on my 302 truck ('95), and I've seen some of the Mustang sites claiming some run 16 -17 in the 'Stangs.

Being that weights, EEC calibrations, gears, etc can all alter things a little the best bet is to simply bump it slowly and listen for any detonation.

I can actually run a little more on my truck, but I left a little fudge factor for heavy hauling, towing, hot days, etc. I would say with a Mustang you would probably be safe to use 14 degrees as a starting point.

Old 05-19-2003, 12:24 PM
I agree with signmaster.

I have an '89 5.0 5-speed and a '93 F150 AOD with 5.0, mustang is set to 15 initial and truck to 14 initial, no detonation ever in either. I do run premium Amoco Ultimate 93 (the clear gas) in both. Could probably bump another degree on both and I live in hot central Florida.

Definitely dump the silencer and grab a K&N filter, bump the timing and you should feel it in the "seat of the pants" dyno.

Old 05-20-2003, 05:39 AM
Thanks for the input to those who responded.
I removed the air silencer, what a piece of crap,
and set the timing last night.
The timing was set at 20 degrees ATC, I could not
believe it. I set it at 14-15 BTDC and it now runs so
smooth it seems like an entirely different car.
It drive so much better, but still lacks the UMPH, I
expected it to have. Maybe I am comparing it to my
Lightning which is a big mistake.
However, it is a very nice little car that I believe my
daughter will enjoy.
Thanks again to those who responded.

Marc

Old 05-20-2003, 09:30 PM
Well Car craft just had a big section in their latest issue. Might wanna check it out, had lots of great tips. From the factory they were supposed to be set to 10*, if your's is at 14-15 that is perfect for street driving. I wouldn't expect the AOD to be as peppy or fast as the T5. Also, you didn't metion the mileage or what kind of maintence the last owner did. Both could be a big factor to the health of the engine.

Old 05-21-2003, 07:38 AM
The combination of the AOD and the rear end gears that came from the factory will not be to impressive.

Easily cured with a set of 3.55 gears

Rob

Old 05-21-2003, 08:18 AM
I am still having a tough time believing that it even ran being set at 20 ATC !!
Is there something in the computer that was allowing it to compenstate for where the time was set?
The reason I ask is that when I first set it at 15 BTC, the mark seemed to be moving around a little, but after I put about 30 miles on it set in its new position, I shot it again, and it was right on the mark and did not move until it advanced when I accelerated it. At first I thought maybe that it was moving around do to some wear in the timing chain/gears. Possible ?

Marc

Old 05-21-2003, 04:42 PM
Yes the computer does adjust the timing. That is why you remove the spout connector when you are timing. Unhooking the spout connector takes the PCM out of the loop. It probably did move around on you when you were timing it if the spout connector was hooked up. Get you like a Mustang Owner's Bible or something they have all little tips and tricks to keep it running top notch. Like adjusting your TPS right at 1 volt so you have a crisper throttle. I even even seen guys take a drill and notch out the mounting hole just a little so they can get that extra shrap acceleration.

Quick Reply: 5.0 timing for street