Amsoil oil test results, test kit cost

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 11:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsoil oil test results, test kit cost

See my initial thread "oil change interval". Here you will see the actual test results word for word and what they mean. I was replying to msparks and I'm not computer saavy enough to make the reply it's own thread. I hope this answers some questions about what the test tells you and whether it's worth it for you to do it. When I bought my last batch of tests they were $13.00 each including postage. I checked today and from your local Amsoil dealer you can get them for $18.95 postage paid both ways. $14.95 no postage paid either way.

Last edited by davet; 05-07-2003 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-07-2003, 09:21 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
davet,
I read your analysis. The page didn't load correctly so reading was difficult. I didn't see where you stated which engine was in your truck but I will assume it is a 5.4 V8 gas. When considering an analysis, each engine type and size leaves predictable trends. The 5.4 will be different than a 4.6 and a diesel will trend totally different in regards to the analysis. So there is no comparing reports of engines of different sizes or fuels usages. Concerning your truck, it shows trending towards a 5.4 that has had head gasket failure, most likely before you purchased it. Might want to check for any new parts but after 8 months you may not be able to tell. The analysis picks this up pretty clearly and I'm not sure why your "tech" didn't advise you accordingly. You wear metals are almost double the universal average for this engine. You should have been informed of this. It is not a failure on the part of Amzoil, rather, the Amzoil is cleaning the debris left over from an obviously poorly maintained vehicle. I would suggest that you flush the engine using Auto-Rx. You most likely will need to do it twice. Make sure to follow the instructions to the letter. Auto-Rx is an ester based product that does not strip the engine but cleans it slowly. You might want to pull out the Amzoil, save it, and use a lesser priced oil for the cleaning and then reinstall the Amzoil. I would also suggest a different oil analyser.

Old 05-07-2003, 10:20 PM
You're right. It's a 5.4. Which numbers are indicating the debris and how do they differ from what your experience says would be a normal range? Could it have been a head repair due to plug hole damage or is there another common repair on these 5.4's that would've required the head be removed? Is there a way I can check numbers on the heads to see if one is a replacement? Thanks.

Old 05-08-2003, 08:23 AM
I also think that the Auto-RX would be a good idea. It takes many many miles for Amsoil to do the cleaning that Auto-RX does in 500-1000 miles

As far as wear metals, as Labby said, each engine trends differently. Hopefully after a run of the Auto-RX we can see another sample. It looks like you put a lot of miles, so hopefully we won't have to wait too long.

Like I said over all this analysis looks good, you have to remember that this oil has almost 15,000 miles. There are not too many reports to compare with, as most probably go considerable less than this.

Gotta ask about your air filter, what are you running?

As far as a different lab, I wouldn't be too concerend, it's best to find a lab and stick with it. Changing labs all the time can skew your results, as differnt pieces of equipment can be calibrated differently. If you want a good trend you need to use the exact same lab. Also results can be read by anyone. So you can have a lab do the analysis and have someone else read the results.

Maybe Labby would do it for you! He seems to be the expert.

Last edited by msparks; 05-08-2003 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-08-2003, 05:55 PM
I'm using a Purolater air filter that I put in new when I got the truck. Amsoil doesn't make a filter for this application and I normally use Amsoil filters in everything. I had a problem with a K&N filter a long time ago before I knew about Amsoil. After a year with the K&N in a Jeep Cherokee I found a ring of dust inside the throttle bore that I hadn't had before with a Fram air filter. I later switched to Amsoil and didn't get the dust in the throttle bore. Thank you both for the help with the test results.
I am curious about the contaminents labnerd located in the results. I had flushed the engine with Amsoil Flush for 15 minutes at high idle before the Amsoil was put in. My understanding is you shouldn't put the engine under load with the Amsoil Flush in it. I've never heard of Auto-RX until seeing it mentioned on this forum. Is it similar to Sea-Foam? I'm gonna try to find Auto-RX somewhere around here in MN.

Old 05-08-2003, 07:38 PM
Davet,
Wear metals should look something like this for your situation. Only those of importance are listed.

Alum 6
Chrom. 2
Iron 21
Lead 4
Copper 7
Silicon 12
Sodium 10
Flashpoint 365 f
SUS VIS should be 58-64

I don't have your original analysis in front of me but the wear metals being high and the silicon and sodium together states that coolant has been in the oil system. The sodium is from the coolant and the silicon from the sealant used on the gaskets. Individually, they can represent all kinds of scenerios, together, they point to a blown head gasket which the 5.4's are having problems with. You might want to do a search at www.alldata.com for recalls on your vehicle. It should also show the campaign concerning heads and head gaskets. Auto-Rx is available online, I'm not sure but I think the link is www.auto-rx.com If that's not it, do a search and it will come up.

Old 05-09-2003, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by davet

I am curious about the contaminents labnerd located in the results. I had flushed the engine with Amsoil Flush for 15 minutes at high idle before the Amsoil was put in. My understanding is you shouldn't put the engine under load with the Amsoil Flush in it. I've never heard of Auto-RX until seeing it mentioned on this forum. Is it similar to Sea-Foam? I'm gonna try to find Auto-RX somewhere around here in MN.
Sometimes running an engine flush can skew wear numbers for the first run.

If it were me, I'd go back to a conventional with an auto-RX treatment. Say for 1000 miles. Then put the Amsoil in.

But then again who knows, you could just run another batch of amsoil and see what happens.

As far as Auto-RX, I doubt you will find it in stores. It's a pretty new product, that I have not seen locally. If you go to the Auto-RX site, you can order factory direct.

If you have any questions about the product. Frank, one of the developers is a really good guy. Also Terry Dyson, has done alot of test on this product and has extensive background on Analysis and lubes.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/terry.html

Old 05-09-2003, 09:10 AM
I had thought about ordering a case of Auto-Rx to sell, but I just don't know if I would be able to get ride of it.

If I get a couple of inquiry's I might just do it.

Old 05-09-2003, 11:24 AM
You won't find Auto-Rx in a store anywhere around here. The website posted above is the source to find it.

You asked if its similar to sea foam. Not really. Sea-Foam is good stuff and works wonders under some applications, like cleaning EGR valves and like. Auto-Rx is an advanced product that isn't a nasty chemical solvent like a like of this can be. This stuff is much more gentle yet effective. Flushes, like amsoils flush generally only wants it in the engine for 5-15 minutes. This is due to their solvent nature. Auto-Rx goes in for 500 miles on dino oil, 1000 on synthetic to do its work. Essentially, it is a slow steady cleaner instead of a "shock" type cleaner.

As far as your results go, yes the overall numbers look high compared to most analysis I've seen on these engines. However, you have gone on a long extended change program, so it isn't really fair to compare the numbers on an overall basis. Like msparks said, on a per mile basis, your wear falls into line pretty well. The universal average quoted in the other posts can be a nice benchmark, but shouldn't be misinterpreted. Blackstone provides those numbers, but they don't normalize them based on Mileage and they don't give you the mileage basis for it so you cannot normailze the numbers yourself. What that means is if their average for that engine is based on a 4,000 mile interval on the average, how does that comapre to a 15,000 mile intervals numbers? If the wear was constant, the wear metals in the 15,000 mile test would be nearly 4 times higher than the universal average, but that doesn't mean you have a problem! Your engine is still showing average wear!

Last edited by gopher; 05-09-2003 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-11-2003, 05:38 PM
Labnerd. You give universal averages for wear metals for my engine nd say mine are high. Are your averages based on 3,000-5,000 mile oil changes.?

Old 05-11-2003, 06:44 PM
The UA were for 12,500 mile interval. The database divides the intervals into 2500 mile sectors.

Old 05-11-2003, 10:48 PM
Thanks.

Quick Reply: Amsoil oil test results, test kit cost