Morning engine noise, sounds like piston slap? Check your oil!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 02:18 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Morning engine noise, sounds like piston slap? Check your oil!

For the last couple of weeks when it was cold out, the engine would make a sound like piston slap after the first start of the day. (The recordings I've heard anyway) It dawned on me to check the oil, and it was down to about 1/4" above the MIN mark on the dipstick. I was going to change my oil this morning anyway, so I decided to dump a quart of the oil in to see if there was any difference. This was before the first start this morning. When I cranked it, no more tapping noise. My only hope is that no harm has come to the engine for this oversight. No noise this morning at all, after dumping the missing quart in. Sooo, if you have a noise that sounds like piston slap, make sure your oil level is good first. My question is......If it's above the MINIMUM mark, why would it make any noise at all, though?
I never pushed it during the times it was tapping. It would do it for a few seconds on the first start of the day, then when under load before full warm up. Usually the first two accelerations from a stop after the idle went down.,,,,98

Old 02-11-2003, 02:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Damn, that truck looks familar ...

How have things been on your cruising, where are you now ???

Mine, makes that sound every so often and just like you, add another quart of oil and it is no longer there. Maybe it is that "burn 1 quart of oil / 3000 miles (5,000 kms) thing.

Have Fun & Keep on Truckin'
Dean

Old 02-11-2003, 06:15 AM
OT: 98, are those FX4 rims?

Old 02-11-2003, 07:40 AM

What oil filter are you using?

I had the start up noise in the morning too before I switched back to the Motorcraft oil filter.

Old 02-11-2003, 09:50 AM
It was a Fram, but the "improved" "Duraguard Pro" I believe. There was no noise at all before the oil level was a little lower than normal, though. Just puzzling that's all. Now it has the Motorcraft FL-820s on it. I haven't started it yet this morning, so maybe the racket is gone for good. I have my fingers crossed. What really gets me the most is that I had the oil changed a while back, and the Fram was the filter "I" put on before that one. Someone wrote their initials on the filters' flat bottom, but didn't change it apparently. Gotta love fine svc like that! I will check EVERY time now before I leave a shop.
Actually I'm at home in TX finally, I wore a t-shirt and jeans yesterday with no jacket, supposed to be even warmer today. I hate cold weather with a passion, lol!
Yep, they're FX-4's that I bought off of ebay, they really change the whole appearance of the truck. BIG difference.,,,,98

Old 02-11-2003, 10:01 AM
"I hate winter with a passion"
Me and you 98!!!

Old 02-11-2003, 03:58 PM
If you put the oil in before you started the motor in the morning then it could be that you just lubricated the lifters before you started the truck. Let us know if this fixes your problem for good.

Old 02-11-2003, 06:44 PM
Thumbs up

There was only a hint of the noise this morning, and that was only under load. No sound at all when cranked and idled. Only when I drove it.,,,,98

Got my fingers crossed!!

Old 02-12-2003, 09:22 AM
Like someone mentioned, you may have lubericated the top half by dumping in the qt. of oil.

Concerning the rims, do the fit OK on the truck? I thought about doing the same thing with my 98, but I heard the 2000+ rims had a larger diameter hole for the studs? Does this present a problem?

Thanks in Advance

Jim

Old 02-12-2003, 10:34 AM
Thumbs up

Hit my profile button, and send me an e-mail. I bought some lug spacers through a member here for a very reasonable price. They slip over the lugs, and then you slide the wheel over them. The lug to wheel gap is really not all that big to begin with, but these spacers make them fit like a glove. The lug holes fit better than factory now,,,,98

He almost got banned for running a thread about them, that's why I asked for you contact me off the site.

Old 02-27-2003, 09:25 AM
I have a 1997 w/ 4.6L (112,000 miles) in extremely cold weather I get a little metallic noise (But I am talking 5 degrees farenheit outside!) My engine has never used any oil. I am wondering if even a little noise is common in extremely cold temps?

Quick Reply: Morning engine noise, sounds like piston slap? Check your oil!