I'm officially a 4x2 now!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2002, 12:03 AM
Suspended For Violation of Vendor Rules
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm officially a 4x2 now!

Just got her installed about 15 minutes ago. Gotta fill it up with 3qts of Royal Purple Synthetic 75-90 Gear Oil and I'm completely done!

Powertrax Lock-Right Locker is INSTALLED, Case closed

Talleywacker <-------- Geek

Old 08-24-2002, 01:52 AM
??????????????????

is this a strick tration mod, or is it better for more than just tracktion?????
im trying to justify spending the extra money, i mean these are v6's and trucks for that matter, its not like were gonna lay rubber for 3 blocks or any thing , and i dont think you will be doing any serious off roading to really need the LS or 'locker', also, wont it take up a bit of horse since the power is being transfered to one more wheel anyways?!?(power loss to rear wheel)

Or am i totally wrong?!?!?

Dont want to argue, just looking for inlightenment...

Thanks!!

Old 08-24-2002, 10:39 AM
Re: ??????????????????

Originally posted by RedFlarside2000
is this a strick tration mod, or is it better for more than just tracktion?????
im trying to justify spending the extra money, i mean these are v6's and trucks for that matter, its not like were gonna lay rubber for 3 blocks or any thing , and i dont think you will be doing any serious off roading to really need the LS or 'locker', also, wont it take up a bit of horse since the power is being transfered to one more wheel anyways?!?(power loss to rear wheel)

Or am i totally wrong?!?!?

Dont want to argue, just looking for inlightenment...

Thanks!!
Let's see here...

I've got stuck 4 times in 3 months on remote Jobsites when I know if I had a locker or LS I would have not gotten stuck. Rain and mud will stop a open rear end dead cold in it's track.

No power loss at all... A open rear end gets power to both wheels... it's just when traction is lost all the power gets diverted to the wheel that slips, the LEAST amount of traction.

With my locker power goes to the wheel with the MOST traction... If anything torque is increased to the wheels due to a simplified mechanism but it would be marginal.

Old 08-24-2002, 11:17 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know what you mean on the open rear end there talley I never got stuck yet but I've had times the one wheel spiinning would not get me going as quick when one wheel is on wet grass.

Old 08-24-2002, 07:21 PM
So,... yes this is a strick traction modifacation...

Isnt that like $300-$400 mod though, what are the other benifits?!?

Old 08-24-2002, 07:31 PM
I bought the locker for $258 shipped. I installed it myself in 2hrs with only 4 tools.

It's benefits is when you lose traction the locker give power to the wheel with the MOST traction in case you get stuck or if you got more power and spin off the line. Open rear ends give power to the LEAST amount of traction apon loss of traction.

I got stuck in my 00' 4.2 auto once... 5ft from the road, I backed out of a driveway and my left rear tire went into the ditch and sank... ALL other three tires where on contrete, I had to have a tow truck pull me out because i was stuck. If I had the locker or Limited Slip that other right rear tire would've pulled me right out.

Old 08-24-2002, 09:36 PM
Sounds like an excellent move for less than $300!! Up here in northeast that would be a great imsurance policy for snow and ice. Could you tell us the part number and outfit you got it from?

Trending Topics

Old 08-25-2002, 03:55 AM
Thumbs up

COOL!!

So, like, Talley- They say everything is bigger down in Texas, right? So how's about showin' all us your newly aquired ability to leave TWO BIG-A$$ TRACKS in the road? I'm gonna be kinda pissed if you don't post a nice picture of a pair of black Texas road snakes. A smoky burn-out pic featuring a view of both your rear tires would be cool, too. Oh, and if it's not too much to ask, the same smoky burnout from a front quarter view would be rather nice as well.

You do remember how to lay down some serious scratch. . .don't you? If not, then gimme a call and I'll walk you through the process over the phone.

You guys nowadays sometimes forget the old '5-grand side-step" technique.

So be a dude and post a killer twin fog-shot for your buddy J would ya? Then when I get my gears and differential, I'll return the favor (and then some. . .hehehe).

Later,

J

Old 08-25-2002, 08:03 AM
Thumbs up

I imagine that lil v-6 will lay some rubber, maybe he didn't see you're truck is on the bottle. Do you ever squeeze it in 1st gear? I like that kit you have, which one is it? It's a wet system right? That's what I'm lookin to put on my truck.

Old 08-25-2002, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by WrongdayJ
COOL!!

So, like, Talley- They say everything is bigger down in Texas, right? So how's about showin' all us your newly aquired ability to leave TWO BIG-A$$ TRACKS in the road? I'm gonna be kinda pissed if you don't post a nice picture of a pair of black Texas road snakes. A smoky burn-out pic featuring a view of both your rear tires would be cool, too. Oh, and if it's not too much to ask, the same smoky burnout from a front quarter view would be rather nice as well.

You do remember how to lay down some serious scratch. . .don't you? If not, then gimme a call and I'll walk you through the process over the phone.

You guys nowadays sometimes forget the old '5-grand side-step" technique.

So be a dude and post a killer twin fog-shot for your buddy J would ya? Then when I get my gears and differential, I'll return the favor (and then some. . .hehehe).

Later,

J
Let me replace my clutch and I will... I'm gonna go bleed the hydraulic system today, gonna see if that helps some. I think I have a leaky slave cylinder actually.

OH... WrongdayJ: I got 3 sets of 2 minute long burnouts here in my garage

Last edited by Talleywacker; 08-25-2002 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-25-2002, 10:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You need to do like neal did shoot a video of a good burn out and post it maybe you can out do neal since you have a 5 speed since he had a auto with his 5.4

Old 08-25-2002, 11:22 PM
I think Talley just likes to spend money like me on junk.

Just bought me an Xbox last night at Best Buy.

I got the Xbox console, extra controller, Madden 2003, Test Drive "offroad"and DVD playback kit for $280.00

-Brian

Old 08-25-2002, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by 02XLT
I think Talley just likes to spend money like me on junk.

Just bought me an Xbox last night at Best Buy.

I got the Xbox console, extra controller, Madden 2003, Test Drive "offroad"and DVD playback kit for $280.00

-Brian
Yep, you bought the swaybar... and so did I.

Old 08-26-2002, 02:58 PM
I am seriously considering doing this same mod. Let me know how it works out for you Tally. The price I have been quoted is about $350 installed.

Has anyone else had this done. Would like to hear from someone who has had this mod for a long time.

Old 08-29-2002, 11:23 AM
Talley,

Do you get any ratcheting or clicking on the road with that new locker? My buddy has one in his Bronco and it made a fair amount of clunking. The traction was great, but the clunking reminded me of my old detroit locker, now replaced with an ARB air locker.

I'm debating what to put in my F-150, but it does need something.

Mitch

Quick Reply: I'm officially a 4x2 now!