Ecoboost Verdict?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 10:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokewagun
With all due respect Two Jays, take a look at any of the current vehicles on the road. They are all electronic nightmares. There are thousands of these EcoBoost on the road in more than one version. Ed's truck is the exception. History and testing have proven this engine is a real contender.

I, too, am glad Ed is getting his issue resolved. I think that for the quantity of these 3.5L's on the road already, and the minimal issues seen, they weren't release before their time. We are just seeing a few bugs being worked out.

Now, although I love the EcoBoost, and a almost convinced myself it would be my next engine, I can't seem to get over the thought that this engine on anything but interstate will run in boost a good portion of the time, thus drinking fuel right out of the believed 21mpg.
While I'm not trying to knock the Ecoboost at all, after all I own one and love it so far, I think you made my point with the following:

We are just seeing a few bugs being worked out.
The bugs should have been worked out, at least at the magnitude that Ed, et al has experienced. I'm hoping that mine (build date of Sept., 11) has all of the bugs removed. But, it seems that many, on this forum and another, have had more than their fair share of problems with them, I'm assuming theirs were earlier build date. I see this in business all the time, open the building before it is really ready to occupy, put this that and the other product on the shelves before they were really ready for consumer use and so much more.

Like I said, I'm just thinking out loud. I'm not arguing for or against the Ecoboost, YET. Again, I'm totally happy with mine, so far. If it continues being everything it is supposed to be, I'll be a big time defender of the system. If things start falling apart, I'll be its biggest critic. I think that after this coming weekend, I'll have a better idea as to how I really feel about the Ecoboost. I sure hope it is a good feeling.

Old 11-22-2011, 03:07 PM
Wink Wow!!!!

Traded my 08 fx2 screw for a 11 fx2 screw eco. Read all the reports and finally decided to go for it. I am a happy camper my friends. This truck is AWESOME!
How is Ford going to top this?? Best f150 i have ever owned. If you are considering a new truck you wont be disappointed. I have always been a V8 guy, and i had my doubts about the ecoboost. All i can say is drive one. This truck would smoke my 5.4. Puts you in the back seat and keeps pulling. Only when you need it of course.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:44 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 08_FX2_5.4
Traded my 08 fx2 screw for a 11 fx2 screw eco. Read all the reports and finally decided to go for it. I am a happy camper my friends. This truck is AWESOME!
How is Ford going to top this?? Best f150 i have ever owned. If you are considering a new truck you wont be disappointed. I have always been a V8 guy, and i had my doubts about the ecoboost. All i can say is drive one. This truck would smoke my 5.4. Puts you in the back seat and keeps pulling. Only when you need it of course.
Talk to me after 100K miles of use & then I'll be a believer! Til then my 5.4 3v suits me just fine....

Old 11-22-2011, 06:18 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 11-23-2011, 11:33 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
The bugs should have been worked out, at least at the magnitude that Ed, et al has experienced.
You would have to go back through some old threads to see what really happened with Ed's truck. It took him several months to get his truck - it was built, then it sat in the yard for a LONG time, then pulled back into the plant for some "work". The whole thing was kinda fishy.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:41 AM
I think Ed actually had a prototype 6.2L EcoBoost that was missing a cylinder or two. It was accidentally sent out ahead of it's time, but Ed didn't know it.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:58 PM
Traded my 09stx for the 11 fx4 screw with ecoboost and everything else whom ever said its like driving a sports car was right on the money, awesome resale value on the f150 put it in my driveway thanks a-plan

Old 11-27-2011, 11:09 PM
http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/specifications/

A point that really hasn't be mentioned. Look at where all the other engine's torque comes to life at. 4000rpms+... This why the EcoBoost engine at 420@ 2500rpms moves these trucks so easy.

2011 bone scab XLT 4 x 4 with 3.55LS axle with 1200 miles on it now. I can pull 22.8 running the Parkway in NJ at 70mph easy. I don't have the high end electronic fuel meters I see on here. Just the one that gives me mpg and it's wrong by at least 1.5mpg.

Got out of an 07 Sport Trac with a 4.6 Mustang engine in it. Rated to tow 7000lbs with a 3.50 rear is would pull 19-20 on the highway. With a 2000lb flats boat behind it mileage dropped to about 11-12. Trying to tow at 1800rpms with an engine that doesn't come to life till 4000rpms with cause that.

Couple myths floating through this thread. No way will higher octane fuel get you better mileage. 93/91 is lots tougher to burn than 87. If anything you are blowing part of your fuel out the exhaust pipe trying to burn high octane.

Another one is putting big free breathing exhaust on will get you better mileage.. You really think Ford left a couple mpg on the table over a lousy tail pipe? And yet another are these air filters.

The cruise control, I can beat the cruise control by 2mpg any day. A CC fights to maintain speed climbing a hill. That burns fuel. If you really want better mileage who cares if you loose a couple mph climbing a hill? You will get it back going down the backside of the same hill.

As far as glitches in these trucks? Before the the SP Trac I had an 04 F150 Lariat. Remember the steering wheel nibble problems. How about that big patch of whatever up under the right rear corner panel that had to be removed. That was suppose to cure some kind of vibration.

This 2011 Eco with a little power jacking with the brake is still pouring smoke out of both rear wheels going into third gear. You should see what this truck will do to a Yota Tundra with their 381hp engine. A buddy has one with 4.30 gears and it won't run with this truck. I can wait till Ford Boost's a V8...

Old 11-28-2011, 12:43 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
No way will higher octane fuel get you better mileage.
It can, the management system will allow for more boost and/or more timing advance. Ford recommends premium fuel in a EB "for better performance" and when towing in hot weather.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:34 PM
Reading all these post lately...I just have to wonder, has the MPG been improved once the truck was broken in? The 2 trucks I drove were identical except for the EB vs 5.0. 5.0 got MUCH MUCH better gas mileage than the Eco did driving as close as i could to identical.

Just wondering if anybody is consistently getting 19-20mpg in a Screw 4x4? the 5.0 I drove, I feel could easily get 19 every tank, if not more. I drove it like I stole it, up hills, in the mountains, and averaged somewhere close to 16mpg over 90-100 miles. I spun the tires every chance I got. If i drove it like had some sense, I could see 19mpg out of the 5.0....At least 18mpg.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:15 PM
I finally test drove an EB, and was more than impressed. I drove it and had no issues maintaining 22mpg up and down the country roads at 60mph, but I did play the hills. I can see that this little number could really burn some fuel if you can't keep it out of boost. That makes me wonder if the average Joe will need to learn how to drive again to achieve good 20+ mpg numbers. It does not take a mountain to boost, but with an easy foot, I found it easy to keep close to 20+.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:19 PM
I finally test drove an EB, and was more than impressed. I drove it and had no issues maintaining 22mpg up and down the country roads at 60mph, but I did play the hills. I can see that this little number could really burn some fuel if you can't keep it out of boost. That makes me wonder if the average Joe will need to learn how to drive again to achieve good 20+ mpg numbers. It does not take a mountain to boost, but with an easy foot, I found it easy to keep close to 20+.
I had an EB screw 4X4 for a service loaner a few months ago when I took in one of our E250's for warranty service. I had the truck for two days. I didn't put too many miles on it but I could keep the lie-o-meter over 20mpg the whole time.

I too was impressed with this EB truck. It was quiet, smooth and could get up and go to efficiently merge and pass.

Fords new engines have the potential for better fuel economy. They've done the engineering. We've got to adjust our habits if we want to spend less on fuel.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
...That makes me wonder if the average Joe will need to learn how to drive again to achieve good 20+ mpg numbers. It does not take a mountain to boost, but with an easy foot, I found it easy to keep close to 20+.
Watch the green bar on the instrument panel, keep it up and the MPGs will climb. Watch it go down and so do the MPGs. If this Joe keeps an eye on this gauge I get great mileage.

I have noticed there is some warm up period where the motor runs rich. Every morning I get about 10-12MPG for the first 6-8 minutes. Then on the same highway at the same speeds it will jump to 20-25.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:26 AM
Well folks, I turned in the EB truck yesterday, and picked up the new truck (this one has the 5.0)

As I've said before, I have to believe that I just got "the bad egg" with the EB truck..although I have no evidence, I also believe that there were just problems between the software and hardware in that truck.....there were just too many odd, unrelated things going wrong..... that could never be tracked down.

On the up side, I'm kind of excited about the new truck....it's certainly a "different" feel when driving versus the EB, but after putting about 50 miles around town yesterday, it's showing 17mpg in town (considering the best I could average with the EB truck was 17 highway).....looking forward to taking the new truck on a highway trip in a couple of weeks to see how that MPG turns out.

I don't have enough "wheel time" with the 5.0 to be sure yet, but I suspect that for a daily driver, it's going to be a good choice. I know it's controversial, but I suspect that the 5.0 is going to far outdo the EB in terms of MPGs...(at least comparing the two trucks I've owned/driven) and have to wonder if Ford didn't intentionally overrate the MPGs on the EB, just because it's the "flagship" of the F150s for 2011.

I'm not bashing on the EB at all......I just had a bad experience with the one I had. I think either engine can be a great choice, provided folks understand the pluses and minuses of each, as it applies to them and their uses.

As long as this new one doesn't start having all the "wacky" happenings that the EB did, I think I'm going to be very happy with it.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:28 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by EdCaffreyMS
Well folks, I turned in the EB truck yesterday, and picked up the new truck (this one has the 5.0)

As I've said before, I have to believe that I just got "the bad egg" with the EB truck..although I have no evidence, I also believe that there were just problems between the software and hardware in that truck.....there were just too many odd, unrelated things going wrong..... that could never be tracked down.

On the up side, I'm kind of excited about the new truck....it's certainly a "different" feel when driving versus the EB, but after putting about 50 miles around town yesterday, it's showing 17mpg in town (considering the best I could average with the EB truck was 17 highway).....looking forward to taking the new truck on a highway trip in a couple of weeks to see how that MPG turns out.

I don't have enough "wheel time" with the 5.0 to be sure yet, but I suspect that for a daily driver, it's going to be a good choice. I know it's controversial, but I suspect that the 5.0 is going to far outdo the EB in terms of MPGs...(at least comparing the two trucks I've owned/driven) and have to wonder if Ford didn't intentionally overrate the MPGs on the EB, just because it's the "flagship" of the F150s for 2011.

I'm not bashing on the EB at all......I just had a bad experience with the one I had. I think either engine can be a great choice, provided folks understand the pluses and minuses of each, as it applies to them and their uses.

As long as this new one doesn't start having all the "wacky" happenings that the EB did, I think I'm going to be very happy with it.
Again, glad they took care of you and hope it continues to be a good truck.

Quick Reply: Ecoboost Verdict?