Ecoboost Verdict?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 09:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ecoboost Verdict?

So is the jury still out on this new motor? Or is it officially a winner?

I'm chompin at the bit to get one, but I want to be sure about it first.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:30 AM
DjG
Technical Article Contributor
It's a win for me!

Old 10-01-2011, 09:35 AM
I've owned one for nearly 6 months now. It's powerful and quite, very comfortable and nice to drive.

Personally, I'm really disappointed in the MPGs....seems the best I can do is 16-17 on the highway, as long as I keep it under 70mph. What's so odd is that I get about the same numbers in city driving as I do on the highway....and I drive this truck more gently than any vehicle I've ever owned.

My truck has had a long list of issues/problems, and has been in for work a total of 9 times in the 6 months I've owned it. (and is scheduled for it's 10th visit to the shop next week for tranny issues) Just a few of those are engine related.....a stuttering at idle, and a couple of "check engine" lights that they have never been able to track down.

In hind sight, if I had it to do over again, I think I would have purchased the 3.7, with the highest gear ratio I could get in a 4x4. I don't do a lot of hauling, so really, all the EB's power is wasted on me, and with it costing nearly $100 to fill the tank on one of these trucks, MPG is a major concern.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:42 AM
For me it's a win. I get as good mileage in my new truck as I did in my old (2008) car, plus I get to be seen in a Ford truck again. It's been all positive for me.

Old 10-01-2011, 11:13 AM

Not really living up to all the mileage hype.

However, mileage is still decent and especially considering you get 6.2L performance (or better) in a big, heavy Supercrew 4x4. Love the surge feeling of the power delivery and overall performance.

I am really digging the quiet engine and hearing the turbos spool up (reminds me of my Powerstroke). The quiet engine somehow makes the truck seem more upscale which really compliments the quiet interior and smooth ride.

Everything else is standard fare for the new F150s which has been great so far. Love the truck with the EcoBoost!

Last edited by Desert Dawg; 10-01-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:47 PM
Just picked my up tonight, will update on a regular basis.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:50 PM
Since 1993 I have been a Ram owner with my last 6 trucks all being Rams.
I was pleased with all the trucks but one which Chrysler bought back under the Lemon law. They treated me good with most of them having close to if not over 200,000 miles on them when traded or sold.

When Chrysler stuck their hand out for a government bail out I made up my mind I would no longer support the company. When Chevy did the same I counted them out as well. I want to keep my money here as much as possible so with that said:

I did extensive research on the new F-150 and all I could find was rave reviews from the majority of the companies that do consumer reports so I was hooked from that point on.

I took delivery of my new 2011 FX2 SCrew with the ecoBoost about 2 weeks ago and I have to say I absolutely love this truck.

I cannot say enough good things about the truck as a whole. The ecoBoost has been a pleasure to drive and all that power is just a bonus in my book.

I drive 62 miles to work each day so I used that time experimenting with different speeds to see just what kind of mileage I could get out of it and I am very impressed....
It looks like 62 to 64 mph is the sweet spot in my truck. I have averaged 23.4 mpg's since I bought it and I got over 440 miles on the first tank. The second tank was the same and that is resetting the trip and average mpg screen at fill up.
Those numbers are spectacular when you consider I averaged 11mpg in all my Rams.

I am new here as you can see but I intend on spending allot of time here reading posts and learning as much as I can from you guys. I have big plans for my truck such as larger intercooler and exhaust to see if I can get even more out of that little 6 cylinder

Top of the day to all of you,
Jess

Old 10-01-2011, 11:56 PM
Originally Posted by Desert Dawg
Not really living up to all the mileage hype.

However, mileage is still decent and especially considering you get 6.2L performance (or better) in a big, heavy Supercrew 4x4. Love the surge feeling of the power delivery and overall performance.

I am really digging the quiet engine and hearing the turbos spool up (reminds me of my Powerstroke). The quiet engine somehow makes the truck seem more upscale which really compliments the quiet interior and smooth ride.

Everything else is standard fare for the new F150s which has been great so far. Love the truck with the EcoBoost!
Not sure how you get 6.2L performance or better with less HP and torque.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:55 AM
Originally Posted by Wild Bill
Rated Horsepower and Torque and what it puts to the rear wheels is 2 different things.MotorTrend has a F-150 test in the October 2011 issue.The EcoBoost truck was faster then the 6.2 truck.EcoBoost Ratings 365 HSP and 420 LB.FT torque.At the wheels it made 316 Horsepower and 347 lb.ft. of torque.6.2L Ratings 411 HSP and 434 LB.FT torque.At the wheels it made 329 horsepower and 335 lb.ft. of torque.So the 6.2L is rated 46 more horsepower but only makes 13 horsepower more then the EcoBoost at the wheels.And torque rating is 14 more then EcoBoost but makes 12 less lb.torque then the EcoBoost at the wheels.So IMO the EcoBoost is making more power then advertised or is the 6.2L making less then advertised.I have a 2011 F-150 Supercab 4X4,EcoBoost with 3.55 LS axle and it runs good.It ran a 14.76 at 92.13 mph in the 1/4 mile with a 2.10 60 ft.

Later Mark.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:35 AM
Originally Posted by johnstonblake
So is the jury still out on this new motor? Or is it officially a winner?

I'm chompin at the bit to get one, but I want to be sure about it first.
What are you coming from?

For me, the motor has been an amazing upgrade in every sense. But, im coming from an 11 year old 4.6L in a 2000 F-150. That motor was pretty much a slug straight from the factory, combine that with the 3.55 rear end I had and it was a complete turd, HP/TQ wise. Overall is was reliable and never left me stranded, but again, it was underpowered.

The EB for me, although it has only been 300 miles, a strong performer. What gets me is the ability of this engine to hold a gear while climbing a hill, which we have a few of here in SW Virginia. I can finally use my cruise control without neck snapping downshifts at the slightest grade.

My early mileage has been a consistent 15.5 MPG's around the city, only a few highway miles in there. This includes my normal break in procedure of a lot of "varying" the RPM's. No WOT runs yet, but I have put my foot in it a few times to get things seated correctly.

I hear a few complain of turbo lag, I find it non-existent and I drive turbo charged diesels of all shapes and sizes so I know what it is. I think these folks may be feeling the drive by wire system vs. actual turbo lag.

All in all I am very happy with mine. I was hesitant to buy the first model year of an engine, but I needed a new truck now and could not wait. Time will tell how reliable it can be.

For me, its a winner.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:37 AM
I'm in a '03 fx4, with the 5.4 right now. Got about 180k on it and it still runs pretty good, but I'm about ready for a new ride. I'm just wondering if I should wait a little longer on some deeper ecoboost reviews. My current truck shouldn't have a problem making it a little longer.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have yet to drive one (my choice, trying to make my '08 last longer that way) but my 5.4 in my 2008 has a bad lag when I insist on the truck doing something drastic. The drive by wire is definitely slower in response and the transmission is not too quick either. I imagine they are both computer controlled so that you don't burn as much fuel by constantly bumping the throttle. If the EB has only minimal more lag than mine I would be pleased.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:28 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I made the decision to go with the 5.0 partially because of the turbo lag I experienced with the EB I test drove. I am very experienced with drive by wire lag and know the difference. My 2005 had a serious lag when I bought it but a reflashes at the dealer took care of that. The difference in DBW lag is that when you punch ut, there is no response at all for a count of 2, then it goes. The turbo lag I experienced was different. When I punched the EB to pass, the V6 responded about like you would expect a V6 to respond, weakly. Then after a count of 2, it took off. I tried it several times just to see if the first time was a fluke. I might have been able to get used to it, but I liked the instant response of the 5.0.

I understand that some that experienced the TB lag at first, saw it disappear. That is great if it does. Or, if you adapt, that is fine too. Again, that was just one of the reasons, after driving the trucks back to back, that I decided the 5.0 was the better choice for me. I am very staisfied with my choice. I do a lot of highway driving and I'm getting fantastic mileage.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Wild Bill

Yes, with the right gearing and tire combo, and launch, it can have just as good or even better performance although I doubt it has the stamina to outun a 6.2L (lots of videos and discussions/arguments on this). But my point was not about racing the trucks with the different engines but only that the performance is there. Sorry if that was confusing.

As far as my truck is concerned, no way would my truck run with a 6.2L since I put a leveling system and bigger tires on it (at least I don't think so unless the 6.2L had the same setup).

Last edited by Desert Dawg; 10-02-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:54 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
I have big plans for my truck such as larger intercooler and exhaust to see if I can get even more out of that little 6 cylinder
You may want to wait till your warranty is up. Ford is watching Ecoboost mods very closely.

Quick Reply: Ecoboost Verdict?