I got 4grand for graduating.... will this give me power?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2001, 01:41 PM
Suspended For Violation of Vendor Rules
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up I got 4grand for graduating.... will this give me power?

- polished and ported heads
- 3 angle valve work
- polished and ported throttle body
- extrude honed lower and upper intake runners
- perfomance cam (grounded for mid-low range torque)
- forged pistons
- forged connection rods
- perfomance roller rockers 1.9
- performance valve springs
- 80mm mas
- msd ignition
- jba headers
- custom cat back with glass packs (for better low end torque)
- electric fan
- custom superchip

will all this give me power???? !!!

power, power here i come... here i come! WOOHOO!

Last edited by Talleywacker; 07-15-2001 at 12:31 AM.
Old 07-14-2001, 07:48 PM
Why would you want to do all that to a beautiful little engine like the 4.2? Are you sure you can get it all for $4,000? Seems like a waste to me, but have fun anyway, and congratulations on your graduation.

Old 07-14-2001, 11:20 PM
$4k is a lot, but the supercharger will take away $3k of it. Also, don't waste your time with jacobs, they are a horrible company. If you want a new ignition, go with MSD, they are WAY better. Also, don't get a regular cat back exhaust, get a custom with an x-pipe and dual mufflers. And get the mufflers dumped under the bed, that will give you the best exhaust power. Also, consider a superchip. And the best thing to free up power, new gears! Good luck

Old 07-15-2001, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by r0land
$4k is a lot, but the supercharger will take away $3k of it. Also, don't waste your time with jacobs, they are a horrible company. If you want a new ignition, go with MSD, they are WAY better. Also, don't get a regular cat back exhaust, get a custom with an x-pipe and dual mufflers. And get the mufflers dumped under the bed, that will give you the best exhaust power. Also, consider a superchip. And the best thing to free up power, new gears! Good luck
new gears won't give you power... they'll just apply the power differently. I already have 4.10's, but I am waiting to get posi before I install them to save cost. the supercharger will only cost me $1,500 but will cost another $600 to manufacture everything (I will install) BUT... supercharger is last and is not included with the $4k.... sorry about that(forgot to leave that out). Basically the first 9 things on list will cost me $3k... I will install everything alongside my uncle. another $1,000 for the headers, ignition(msd), mas, exhaust, and electric fan. then I would just need to save up for nos($600), and supercharger(~$2500). Not to mention I have 400 bucks in savings account...

mabye get my hp around 420.

I already have

p&p throttle body
airaid
superchip (100 for the custom burn)

I decided to stray from 2 way untill I can get 4 way...

Old 07-15-2001, 07:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
don't kill your baby with all the power

Old 07-15-2001, 08:37 PM
Hmmmm...what to do?

$4000 plus your truck = 2001 "L". Instant power, Blower included!

Old 07-15-2001, 11:55 PM
Thumbs down

I paid $19k for my truck... after taxes.. $21

21k + 4k = 25K.... not enough!

actually I'm probably going to trade truck in for gen1.

I am absolutely obsessed with Lightnings.

I can get brand new 01 for 27,650 on A plan (and I know a dealer who would).... but I cannot afford payments + insurance.

Old 07-18-2001, 10:56 PM
Oh really?

You know a dealer, I assume in the Houston area, that will sell an L on the A Plan? That's not common. I'm lucky enough that I can use the A Plan (2 family members work for a Ford subsidiary) and I've thought about replacing the Expy with one. It makes absolutly no sense for me to do it, and I'd probably end up divorced but it's a thought. Besides, my daughter absolutly loves this Expy. Since she's been born we've also had 2 MB's and now a Volvo and she never, wants to ride in them. She likes it so much, at 2 years old, she could tewll us she wanted to go in the "Espedition". We knew what she meant.

Oh well, I can dream........

Old 07-20-2001, 03:01 AM
Perhaps take the $4K and dump it into your truck, as in paying it off sooner. Then trade for a 2003 Lightning after your truck is paid off. Just a suggestion. It would take every upgrade under the sun to get Lightning-esque power.

Old 07-20-2001, 06:34 PM
another option

Talley or anyone else in/around the Houston area, my friend is selling his highly modded red '94 L for $12.5k. I forget what all he has done to it but basically all one needs to do is drop a supercharger in it to be in the low 12's/high 11's. I would buy it myself but college is a money hungry biatch . Email me at nokski@nettexas.net if interested. Gig'em!

Old 07-21-2001, 02:04 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Talleywhacker,

Congratulations on your graduation present, wow!

Another option would be to just supercharge your existing engine. We have several 4.2 V-6 F-150's running around supercharged. My favorite belongs to a nice young man in North Carolina, and last time he was on the dyno, he made 323 horsepower on 12 PSI of non-intercooled boost. This is on the *stock* motor. He's now adding an intercooler, and then more tuning.

In all honesty, I think that'a a bit much boost to be running on a stock bottom end & pistons, we normally advise no more than about 8-9 PSI peak, but so far, it's working very well for him and no relibility problems. He's been running that blower on that truck for almost 2 years now. It's on a 1999 4.2 V-6 a 4X4 loaded out F-150, and his weight is way over 5000 lbs. He's able to rip off 6-second 0-60 times at that heavy weight with his blown 4.2 V-6, excellent performance.

This was done using a Powerdyne supercharger, and he made the fittings he needed to adapt the Powerdyne blower unit that is normally used on the V-8 F-150's for use on his 4.2 V-6, and it works like a champ and looks great too.

This could be done for *much* less than $4K.

There are all kinds of ways to get your performance up, whether it's building this truck up, trading it in, etc. you have any number of options. However, in terms of actually getting Lightning-level performance, which is going to be at least a 14.2 in the 1/4 mile bone stock in 95+ degree heat (and as quick as 13.6 in cool weather), that will take more than $4K to do *reliably*.

Best of luck whatever you decide, & give us a shout if you want to go over any of this.

Old 07-21-2001, 04:11 PM
Talking

I'm buying a gen1 93 black with 69k miles for 10,300 at planet ford in houston.

I'm so gosh darn happy I could pee my pants.

I'll have it paid off in 2 years and I'm spending half the dough on parts.

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-21-2001, 05:12 PM
Cool

Yes, if you want it fast, sell your 4.2 truck, then take that money with the $4000 and put it down on a Lightening.

Quick Reply: I got 4grand for graduating.... will this give me power?