2001 4.2 PCV hose Elbow

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 10:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 4.2 PCV hose Elbow

I found my vacuum leak and it's the elbow on the PCV hose.

I can't find a replacement at the local parts stores and I can't find the part through searches on the online catalogs.

Does anyone have the Ford part numbers for the elbow or the hose/elbow assembly?

Last edited by BobK; 06-26-2008 at 10:43 PM. Reason: fixed spelling
Old 06-27-2008, 07:06 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Search keywords "pcv elbow part number"

Steve

Old 06-27-2008, 05:02 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

You can go to any parts store and look in the "HELP" section for a rubber 90* elbow close to what you need until you can get it from Ford.OR.......use an old spark plug boot.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:58 AM
I've got lean codes and stuck intake runner codes. Would a vacuum leak at the PCV produce the runner codes? Or am I stuck trying to figure out what to do with the runners?

From what I can tell on the forum, this is a predictable problem at about 120K. But unless it is the PCV thing, it's a higher-skill problem to fix.

Old 07-26-2008, 07:48 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/50...-acuators.html
This is a post I did on another Ford website when my 97 F150s IMRCs went bad!

Old 07-30-2008, 06:53 PM
too-simple solution

Thanks, Blue Oval, for the lead. I'll save the link to your IMRC post, since it seems like there are inevitable problems with them.

I ended up taking my truck in and I feel stupid - it was just battery-acid corroded vacuum lines behind the batter (this, too, seems pretty common for guys like me who don't keep that area as clean as they should). $175. Oh well, I'll write up a problem-specific post for guys who run into the p1537 and p1538 fault codes. I'm notorious for thinking it's the worst problem when it's really the simplest, so maybe I can save some other guy a lot of money and poking around.

Question: you guys are talking about running Seafoam through the system on the link your had - how do you do that with fuel injection? I've used it a lot on motorcycles by just running it into the carbs.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:13 PM
You run seafoam in by the brake booster vac line . Take the line off the booster and place it in the can , let it suck about half the can and turn the motor off , let it sit atleast 30 minutes , I do it overnight . Then start it up and drive , will smoke like crazy for a few miles .

Old 10-14-2009, 12:29 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Santasredsuit
Question: you guys are talking about running Seafoam through the system on the link your had - how do you do that with fuel injection? I've used it a lot on motorcycles by just running it into the carbs.

Don't use Seafoam that way, unless you could care less about your engine and other components , -long or even short term. If you don't eventually Hydroloc, you'll fire up the converters one to many times and melt the cones together.

Black smoke = Converter's on fire from carbon soak.

White smoke = Product cooking.

You get a BG service or Motor-vac Service to clean internals properly.

Last edited by jbrew; 10-14-2009 at 03:56 AM.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:59 PM
I have been doing the Seafoam for years , never once a problem on any of my Trucks or cars from it ... I guess is some idiot done it wrong you could screw it up , but I have never had a problem from it ........

Old 10-14-2009, 08:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Well for years you have been fooled. I'll tell you that right now lol.

The manufacturers of your Ford product have engineered service and chemical that has proven to be the best for these set ups. There isn't a miracle in a can such as Seafoam that can match this service or even come close. In-fact it can have adverse effects and has. Just because a handful of users have gotten away without these effects doesn't mean the product has done them any good. There's been problems posted in the past with a direct relation to using Snake-oil.

The BG and Motorvac are safe and do what there meant to do without question. The choice is yours.

Quick Reply: 2001 4.2 PCV hose Elbow