GIBSON vs MAGNAFLOW

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 10:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GIBSON vs MAGNAFLOW

I've had my GIbson for a while. 4 yrs more or less, and one of the hangers broke so i took it to the muffler shop. They told me I had a couple of cracks in it, and that its been fixed up before. I agreed, and asked what can they put in for my 4.2.... They offered me the Magnaflow performance exhaust, complete installation with chrome tips for $350. I personally don't thinks it's expensive at all.

So im wondering, will it be better to switch from gibson, to Magnaflow? Or is there something else out there for the 4.2

Let me know ya'll, Im sure a few of you have magnaflow exh.

Old 07-29-2006, 10:58 PM
Here's my "custom" Magnaflow exhaust.

-18" Magnaflow muffler: http://www.fle-online.com/ I think it was $87
-3.5" x 12" Imco polished stainless tips: ~$50 +/- a few dollars
-Having the pipes and tips welded on at a muffler shop: $60 + a $5 tip for doing a good job... = $202.

There's some good deals on mufflers and stainless tips at that website I posted above. Shipping is fast too.

Old 07-30-2006, 03:07 AM
How do you guys like the sound of yours? I was considering buying the Gibson Extreme split duals. Does a custom set up produce as much horsepower?

Old 07-30-2006, 03:55 AM
Suspended
On my 2002 Scab Ranger I got a catback exhaust (magnaflow) with tip installed for $200.

On my 2005 F150 screw I got magnaflow catback with $45 ss magna tip installed for $265.

So I say that price quote you got sucks.

Seriously there is a HUGE (40-60%) difference in price from one shop to the next.

Keep shopping

Old 07-30-2006, 06:01 AM
Originally Posted by Dkory22
How do you guys like the sound of yours? I was considering buying the Gibson Extreme split duals. Does a custom set up produce as much horsepower?
The sound is better to me than my old si/do Flow 40. Since the 18" Maggyflow is bigger, it is a little quieter and has a deeper sound throughout the rpm range comared to the Flow 40. Especially in the upper rpm's. And the sound gets deeper after you drive it about a thousand miles.

It felt like I gained power. Mid-range passing power is alot better, and there was also no loss of low end torque that I could feel with my butt dyno. It felt like I gained some back after I switched to Magnaflow. JMHO.

Old 07-31-2006, 08:49 AM
Cool! Thanks Peacemaker, I think I'll look into a set up like yours now . Which muffler did you buy off that site?

Last edited by Dkory22; 07-31-2006 at 08:52 AM.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:20 PM
I have the aluminized 18" Si/Do Magnaflow. It's 2.5" in/2.25 dual out.

I didn't see any 18" mufflers in stainless. They have a 14" "stainless" Si/Do Magnaflow that should work with no problem. It cost a little bit more, but it resists salt and corrosion and lasts alot longer. It's a 2.5" in/2.5" dual out, so you'd need to flare your exit pipes where they go into the muffler out by about 1/4". Any muffler shop can do that. It's a little louder than the 18" muffler, but not by much.

Good luck!

Last edited by Peacemaker; 07-31-2006 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:30 AM
Thanks Peacemaker! One last question , why did you go with the 18" over the 14"? I kind of like the way you describe the 18" as a little quieter and deeper, although here in Michigan protection from corrosion would be a big help.

Edit: https://www.fulllineexhaust.com/cgi-...&key=CARS12258
is that the one you bought? How can you tell what mufflers are good for your truck?

Last edited by Dkory22; 08-02-2006 at 01:36 AM.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by Dkory22
Thanks Peacemaker! One last question , why did you go with the 18" over the 14"? I kind of like the way you describe the 18" as a little quieter and deeper, although here in Michigan protection from corrosion would be a big help.

Edit: https://www.fulllineexhaust.com/cgi-...&key=CARS12258
is that the one you bought? How can you tell what mufflers are good for your truck?
I went with the 18" over the 14" because I wanted a quieter muffler. I went with aluminized because a typical aluminized muffler will last about five years here in TN. I don't think I need stainless because I'll problably sell the truck or trade it in a little later.

The stainless 14" will still sound great. It'll just be a little louder and throatier than the 18". Maybe a little more high-pitched then the 18" at higher rpm's. But that's typical of smaller mufflers. It shouldn't get as high-pitched as a Flow 40 though. Flow 40's are known to get high-pitched on 4.2's.

If you want a quiet and deep sounding muffler with corrosion resistance, Magnaflow makes a 5X11 stainless 22" muffler for like $127. It's a little pricier, but it'll pay off in the long run for you. Good luck with your choice.

Here's a link for the stainless 22":
https://www.fulllineexhaust.com/cgi-...&key=CARS14588

Old 08-02-2006, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by Peacemaker
Here's my "custom" Magnaflow exhaust.

-18" Magnaflow muffler: http://www.fle-online.com/ I think it was $87
-3.5" x 12" Imco polished stainless tips: ~$50 +/- a few dollars
-Having the pipes and tips welded on at a muffler shop: $60 + a $5 tip for doing a good job... = $202.

There's some good deals on mufflers and stainless tips at that website I posted above. Shipping is fast too.

200 bucks for that Exh SYS is real good. I guess i need to KEEP on looking. The pipes out the side look nice, Im not sure what i want exactly. I may just stick with straight Back pipes.

Old 08-02-2006, 11:02 PM
You might want to check into the bolt-on Magnaflow systems. They use 2.5" mandrel bent stainless pipes, polished tips, and a polished 18" muffler. I went that route becuase I didn't wnat sloppy welds and a hacked together appearance of a local muffler shop. Fit and finich on the bolt-on systems is top-notch. I got mine for $395 from hottexhaust.com

Old 08-02-2006, 11:45 PM
I know what you mean about sloppy welds dude. I had a straight out under the bumper flowmaster 40 dual setup put on at some goober muffler shop before I got my magnaflow exhaust put on. I admit the welds were not pretty on that exhaust.

When I had the maggieflow exhaust put on, I took my truck to a 5-star shop and they did everything perfect. The welds are nice and clean, and there's no slop at all. I mean it looks like a machine did it. I've never seen anyone weld that good. I really lucked up on that deal.

When you're going with a custom exhaust, finding a good shop is half the battle.

Old 08-03-2006, 12:27 AM
Originally Posted by Peacemaker
When I had the maggieflow exhaust put on, I took my truck to a 5-star shop and they did everything perfect. The welds are nice and clean, and there's no slop at all. I mean it looks like a machine did it. I've never seen anyone weld that good. I really lucked up on that deal.

When you're going with a custom exhaust, finding a good shop is half the battle.
I live in TN. Where did you get the job done? I want 5 Star Service too.

Old 08-03-2006, 12:45 AM
EDIT: Sorry double post

Last edited by MPSchenck; 08-03-2006 at 02:51 AM.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:35 AM
Originally Posted by MPSchenck
I live in TN. Where did you get the job done? I want 5 Star Service too.
Here's a map to the place.http://maps.yahoo.com/dd_result?newa...06%29+248-1458 It's called D&D Tire and Auto. When you get to the Kentucky border, go North on 25E and you'll come to the last stop light intersection in Middlesboro, KY. There will be a Wal-Mart on your left, and a Hardee's on your right. It's a straight shot from that point.

Go straight and pass up Goodyear Tire on your left, you pass up Tom Epps Chevy/Nissan dealer on your left, start slowing down because it's about a little over a half a mile past Tom Epps on up the road on your left.

Be ready to give a signal after you get about 1/2 mile past Tom Epps Chevy/Nissan. I hope I'm not confusing you. Kind of slow down through there and look on your left. D&D is the little yellow building with two big garage doors. They have a sign. There's a dark green colored outdoor's tackle shop right beside of it called Deer Ridge Bait N' Tackle.

You'll pass it up if you don't pay attention. Just look to your left after you get a little past Tom Epps Chevy/Nissan. If you do pass it up, just turn through a turn off median (it's a two-lane divided highway) and head back the other way. The speed limit's 55 through there, so watch your back.

They'll do a good job.

Last edited by Peacemaker; 08-03-2006 at 02:40 AM.

Quick Reply: GIBSON vs MAGNAFLOW