22 Quarts of Amsoil ATF for $144.10

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2001, 08:43 PM
gah
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 22 Quarts of Amsoil ATF for $144.10

That's $6.55/quart, but cheap compared to a failed trans! I bought a 10-quart container, and a case (12) of individual 1-quart containers. Anyway, from what I've read, I need about 15 quarts if I completely drain the trans, TC, lines and cooler. Plus the B&M pan adds 3 additional quarts. On the bright side, I can use the rest when I change the power steering fluid.

Does anyone have any advice (e.g. factory procedure) on refilling the system? The TC will be empty, along with the cooler and lines, so should I run the engine to help pump the fluid around as I'm refilling? I want to avoid over-filling if possible, although the B&M pan has a drain plug on it.

Thanks.

------------------
'00 5.4L AUTO 4X4 Lariat (Black/Silver)
'02 F-350 PSD CC DRW 6SPD 4X4 Lariat (order this year)
www.hawthorn-engineering.com

Old 02-14-2001, 09:55 PM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gah:
Does anyone have any advice (e.g. factory procedure) on refilling the system? The TC will be empty, along with the cooler and lines, so should I run the engine to help pump the fluid around as I'm refilling? I want to avoid over-filling if possible, although the B&M pan has a drain plug on it.
</font>
Put 7 quarts in. Start the engine and run it for about a minute. Shut it off and add 6 more, then run for another minute and check the dipstick. Then fill to the top of the "FULL" mark.

Mark

Old 02-15-2001, 12:15 AM
gah
Smile

Thanks Mark. So running for a minute with only 7 quarts isn't going to do any harm?

------------------

Old 02-15-2001, 08:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For what it's worth, I pour all the fluid into a 4 galon can with a spout, pour in a bit shy of 2 gallons, start it up and add 2 more, wait a minute or so then fill to the full line.

I still can't get over the price, for an everyday driver (not a full blown race car) I don't think it would make that much difference. Is the synthetic really that much better than plain jane Motorcraft?

G

Old 02-15-2001, 10:19 AM
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Running it low at idle speed won't hurt it. If you add all the fluid at once it will blow it out of the vent. You have to have the pump running to fill the torque converter.

For heavy duty use, such as towing, I think synthetic is far superior to conventional oil. For most users I don't think it is worth it.

Mark

Old 02-15-2001, 02:18 PM
gah
Smile

Thanks for the help guys. I feel confident that I won't damage anything now. As for the benefits of synthetic ATF, that's a tough one. There is no question that Amsoil ATF outperforms conventional oils and can lower transmission temps considerably. But as with most upgrades, is it worth the cost? For me it is, for others maybe not. I always put 87 gas in my truck; some pay $0.20 more per gallon for 92 (that's approx. $200 per year more than I pay). Generally I go with what I know. I've owned my own vehicles since '87 and have been using Amsoil products since '89. I've NEVER broken down, never had to have an engine rebuilt, never had a trans fail, never overheated, never had brake problems, the list goes on. I don't put this down to luck. I follow a strict maintenance program, part of which is using quality products. I flush my brake fluid EVERY year ($10), I flush my cooling system EVERY year ($30) etc, I inspect my brake pads every month, I check tire pressure every week ... I'm boring you I know, BUT IT WORKS.

If you think about it, generic ATF costs around $3.00/qt. Assuming that you use 18 qts, that's still $54. If you go to one of those "leave off the oil cap" fast lube places, they'll charge $80 - $90 to flush and fill the transmission system. $118 (18 qts) isn't looking so bad now.

A slight detour ... the March/April issue of Truck Trend claims that the F-150's trans heats up very quickly, and this fell under the "What's Not" category (page 22). I'm not sure how they determined this, as I doubt that the test vehicles came with a trans temp gauge.

Anyway, sorry to go on. As I've mentioned before, I don't sell Amsoil, I'm not even a "preferred customer", I'm just a VERY happy end-user.

I mentioned in another post that I get caught in traffic a lot, and it's always hot over here, so I consider my application to be "severe duty".

Thanks.

------------------

Quick Reply: 22 Quarts of Amsoil ATF for $144.10