I JUST DON'T GET IT........

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2000, 05:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry I JUST DON'T GET IT........

I drive a FORD truck (F-150 reg cab V-6)
I have it serviced at a FORD dealership.
I want to buy new FORD gears and have them installed at the same FORD dealership.

YET THEY STILL SAY I AM GOING TO VOID MY FORD WARRANTY........

does anybody see the logic, or the lack there of, in this equation.....

quote from the service manager "anytime you alter the state of the vehicle from the orignal state when it was purchased, you will void the warranty......it is not recomended by the factory to install different rear differential gears then what came with the vehicle when delivered."
THEN WHY ARE 3.55'S OFFERED THROUGH THE TOWING PACKAGE??????????

AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All comments are welcom,
Thanks for listening,
mearnh

------------------

Old 05-12-2000, 07:06 PM
Try another dealer, this one probably has trouble remembering to breathe.

Old 05-12-2000, 07:51 PM
Angry

Dealer service (and i use that term loosly)
is the weakest link in the Ford Motor Company. I have been a loyal Ford customer for over 20 years. I have never had to use the service department for more than minor problems until I purchased this truck. I have been to 2 different dealers a total of 6 times now, and still have not had my tranny problem solved. I have filled out complaint forms at the dealer and have never had a reply frrom Ford. I do believe that Ford is screwing the dealer tech's on time allowances for jobs performed. While many car companys are advertising service after the sale, have you ever seen a Ford commercial talk about service?

------------------
JIM MCGUIGAN
[img]//www.freep.com/sports/grafix/wingstrans.gif[/img]

http://pinckneypirate.homestead.com/index.html

98Lariat 5.4 4X4 SC SB Tow ORP
Superchipped!
K&N
WMS Velocity tube
Gibson Sport Truck exhaust
Edelbrock IAS
JBA Headers
Clear front corners
16X8 Centerline Billet Wheels 285 75 16 BFG AT's

jimmac@ismi.net

[This message has been edited by Jim Mc (edited 05-12-2000).]

Old 05-13-2000, 11:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like StrangeRanger said, try another dealer! I am surprised at his (service manager) statement...because I have heard that dealerships actually make more money off of work like this rather than warranty work.

It is because of my own personal experience and hearing stuff like this from many other people that I refuse to let a dealership touch any of my vehicles unless absolutely necessary.

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Superchip, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55 rear, class III towing package with heavy duty cooling package, 4 wheel disk ABS, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, factory leather wrapped steering wheel, Pendaliner bedliner, K&N air filter, rubberized undercoating, cabin filtration system, Bugflector II, 5W-30 Mobil 1, engine build 10/4/99

Old 05-13-2000, 08:09 PM
Ever notice that they don't hire mechanics for the service desk?

Or that they don't hire college graduates for the service desk?

Or that common sense is hot a prerequisite to work behind the service desk?

Come to think of it, what *are* the qualifications for being a service writer?

------------------
Y2K™

XLT SC SB 5.4L E4x4 AW-Disc, 3.73LS, Skid, 7700# HD Towing, Chrome LT-245, Steps, Captain's, 6CD, Tonneau, keyless, Toreador Red, called "Nick"

Old 05-14-2000, 01:52 AM
Well,
If the truck would have been ordered with a different final drive ratio it would have gotten a different variation of the transmission. There are about 30 differnt 4R100 models, each keyed and calibrated for different driveline combinations. Changing this combination by changing the final drive ratio is doing something that THAT model was not designed to do, and thus may void the warranty. I know it sounds silly, but the fact is that they're so sophisticated these days that anything you do to them may gum up the works a bit. SO, that's why changing your rearend is more complicated than you may have thought.

Now ya know...

Gregg

Old 05-14-2000, 09:39 AM
Angry

So if I decide to make an even more drastic change, such as to 4.10, my Ford transmission may not be able to handle it. That is nice to know. Something to keep in mind when I choose my next truck.

It seems to me that Ford knows people modify their trucks, and that they would want to keep the customers happy by building a truck that will accept minor owner changes without risking reliability.

------------------
1999 XLT S/C, 4.2 V-6, auto, 3.55 rear, dark torreador red/harvest gold, bed liner, Sony 10 disc CD, Edelbrock IAS, Superchip, Airaid FIPK. On Back Order - Steeda Rear Anti Sway Bar, polyurethane front sway bar bushings
Patiently waiting for: Infinity Reference Component front speakers
Waiting for the weekedn: Flex-a-Lite electric fan

Old 05-14-2000, 01:23 PM
My dealership said it wouldn't void my warranty if THEY install it and use FORD parts...

Maybe I'll get this in writting before I change my 3.08 to 3.73 LS (or 4.10 not sure)

------------------
Formerly known as 4byFord

Check out my site: eph1fifty.cjb.net My email: eph1fifty@hotmail.com
1997 F150 4x4 XLT with ORP 4.2L V6 and 5-speed manual.

Old 05-14-2000, 10:36 PM
Let me clarify,
I'm not saying it will void your warranty or not, or that it will work or not, I'm just pointing out why it might not. Maybe if you chage your gears, you should consider changing your convertor or valve body or accumulator or which overdrive clutch assembly you have, because if the truck had X gearset from the factory, it may have come with Y accumulator or Z Main control. The point is, you need to think thru all the things you need to do or consider in order for the mod your thinking of to work. If you think the box will hold the different strain and load of different gears, the way it was designed, it may, or you may only effect the speedometer, or may casue the box to eat itself, but the engineers who designed it, in all there learned wisdom decided that that truck, with that rearend and that engine should have this valve body and this converter and this converter ad infinitum.... In the real world, it prolly won't casue it to self destruct, as my Lightning has 18 inch wheels, but the spare is a 16 inch with a differnt overall diameter, but the dealer (who at least admits that he doesn't know squat, in a round about way) doesn't want to be on the hook if it does explode. They are relying on the engineers who must have SOME reason for making 30 different variations of the tranny. Can you really blame them?

Sorry for the long post, but if you don't know ALL the effects of a mod, have a professional do it. And when it comes to transmission mods or any drivetrain mods, the dealer is not the best source, take it to a good transmission or speedometer shop. Keep inmind that a dealer's business is geared to fixing the truck to the standards it was originally built to, and modifications aren't really what they do.

My two scents...

Gregg

------------------
'00 Silver Lightning
"Ontario Rocket Sled Racing Team"
Manufacturing Tech at Sharonville Transmission Plant

[This message has been edited by Factory_Tech (edited 05-16-2000).]

Quick Reply: I JUST DON'T GET IT........