Trans Temp Gauge Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2000, 05:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Trans Temp Gauge Install

I am about to install a trans temp gauge. But would like to know where to put the temp sendor. I would prefer to put it on the 'out' to the trans cooler (and which one is that - top or bottom?) The sendor is just a threaded plug, any suggestions? If there is enough interest help, I will take pics and write a procedure. I have the slushbox trans (4r70w?)

------------------
2000 XLT 5.4L SC 4X4 ORP 157"wb Ford Floormats, Mudguards, lighted emblems, lighted interior door handles(all 4) Chrome Grill (4x2 style), Diamondplate bed caps, Pro-Tech tool box, Air Box mod.

Old 07-04-2002, 01:00 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Let's bring this one back up because I was thinking about doing the same thing. I pretty much know how I want to do it but need to know which line runs 'FROM' the transmission 'TO' the cooler? Top or bottom. I want to install my gauge reading the temp 'before' it goes through the coolers and NOT in the return line to the transmission. Thanks.

Old 07-04-2002, 01:05 PM
I can't remember which is the outlet on the trans...but I HIGHLY recommend you install your trans temp gauge sender on the line going to the cooler. This way your reading trans temp at it's highest point...not much good after the cooler cause your getting a "cooled" reading and not what's really going on inside the tranny. You can always disconnect a line...turn on the motor (or turnoff fuel pump and crank it over a few times) to see which way the fluid is running.

Seabass

Old 07-04-2002, 01:42 PM
need to know which line runs 'FROM' the transmission 'TO' the cooler?
I want to install my gauge reading the temp 'before' it goes through the coolers
Hey, that's exactly what I said...

Old 07-04-2002, 01:43 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This goes along with the other thread

Originally posted by seabass55
I can't remember which is the outlet on the trans...but I HIGHLY recommend you install your trans temp gauge sender on the line going to the cooler. This way your reading trans temp at it's highest point...not much good after the cooler cause your getting a "cooled" reading and not what's really going on inside the tranny. You can always disconnect a line...turn on the motor (or turnoff fuel pump and crank it over a few times) to see which way the fluid is running.

Seabass
Along the lines of the Mark VIII trans pan, is it not better to have this in the trans pan itself ?

Sorry for my stupidity of this, I am just getting going on this.

Old 07-04-2002, 01:44 PM
but that's not what Shark99 said/asked so I wanted to make sure he did it "right".

Seabass

Old 07-04-2002, 01:50 PM
You need the line that goes from the tranny to the top of the rad.
The fluid flow is from the tranny to the top of the rad. The bottom or out of the rad goes to the tranny cooler. The out of the tranny cooler then goes back to the tranny.

Old 07-04-2002, 01:55 PM
Re: This goes along with the other thread

Originally posted by SSCULLY

Along the lines of the Mark VIII trans pan, is it not better to have this in the trans pan itself ?

Sorry for my stupidity of this, I am just getting going on this.
Your right...but I don't think it would make enough of a difference to make it worthwhile IMHO. Just anywhere before any coolers (including radiator) is the key.

Seabass

Old 07-04-2002, 02:09 PM
The are some very good posts about this already.

Example

Neal has some photos and very good explaination. 5/16th Auto Meter Temperature Guage Manifold from Summit.

Old 07-04-2002, 02:18 PM
Just something on the note of tranny coolers (after looking at the pictures)....make sure to get a plate style cooler and not a tube and fin....and as I've said before....get a big one.

Seabass

Old 07-04-2002, 02:50 PM
OK, thanks for all the info guys, but my question is which line is the one that goes from the trans to the coolers...the top one or the bottom one????(at the transmission)

Old 07-04-2002, 03:03 PM
sorry..brain fart...gonna go out and look

Seabass

Edit: I "thought" it was the bottom..so I posted bottom...checked my manual and it said top...so I'm all "WTF". But I'm positive the bottom line out of the tranny goes....out. ...it's raining outside otherwise I'd get under the car and even take a picture. Damn Ford Manuals!!!

Here's what is said...
"4. Remove cooler return tube (bottom fitting) from fitting on transmission case (7005)."

If someone can prove me wrong then please do...I'm starting to lose my mind.

Seabass

Last edited by seabass55; 07-04-2002 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-04-2002, 08:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... The tranny line going to the TOP of the rad is the hot line coming from the tranny. This is the line you want to tap into for your tranny temp sensor. The bottom line coming out of the rad is the OUT going line and goes back to the tranny with the cooled tranny fluid from the tranny coolers. I've always read that the STACKED PLATE design tranny coolers are the best......... Yet every one that I have used has been worthless. I've been running the aluminum finned/large tubed PERMA-COOL tranny coolers on all my vehicles, including my PRO STREET RANGER and have noticed that my tranny temps have drastically dropped over NO cooler at all or the stock STACKED PLATE design. If you do decide to go with a aftermarket tranny cooler then I strongly suggest that you get a electric fan to mount to it.

Old 07-05-2002, 12:27 PM
I wanted to install the gauge to see what's going on in there. I will be towing a 5500-6000lb trailer maybe three or four times a year for only a couple hundred miles, and not alot of mountains. I like to monitor everything. Even putting in an oil temp gauge too.

IF you have towing experience with these trucks, do you think an additional cooler is required? Mine has the towing package and my trans lines go from the trans, to the radiator, from the radiator, to the cooler, and then from the cooler back to the trans. Seems like this would do the job under anything but the most extreme cases??

BTW...what would be considered a 'normal' temp and what would you consider getting hot, and what is flat out too hot?? I know about engine oil but not too much about auto trans stuff

Old 07-06-2002, 04:06 AM
Anything above 200 is going to damage the transmission.

170-180 is normal.

With an additional cooler, you should be able to keep it below 170 even when pulling a boat.

Most would say that the cooler you get with the towing package is better than no axiliary cooler at all, but an aftermarket cooler would do much more. What I'd do is install the temp gauge and see how hot you're getting now. If it gets above 180, get another cooler and possibly a fan. The cooler the temps, the longer the transmission will last.

Last edited by AjRagno; 07-06-2002 at 04:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Trans Temp Gauge Install