Trans Temp Gauge--Temp Probe install ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2002, 09:05 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Trans Temp Gauge--Temp Probe install ???

Is there another place besides tapping into the cooler lines to install the big size temp probe off of a mechanical temp gauge?

I have heard of another place from guys with electrical gauges but don't know where it's at or if the probe will even fit. I don't want to install it in the pan.

Old 09-27-2002, 08:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a plug that is labled "test port" by the shift linkage that some people are using, myself included which worked out great for my electrical gauge.(4R70W tranny)

Old 09-27-2002, 09:50 PM
What NorCal said.

Me2

Old 09-29-2002, 06:34 PM
What kind of readings do you get from this location?? i.e. what would be a normal temp at 65mph in o/d on say a 95* day? (or something close to this)
From this location, does the gauge indicate higher when your converter unlocks in o/d going down the highway. I have a mechanical gauge installed in the line and when this happens the temps skyrocket. Just wondering if you get the same indication from that location? Thanks for the help.

Old 09-29-2002, 08:11 PM
With my Cyberdyne digital gauge the temps usually run about 70* over ambient around town. In 70* weather I get ~140 readings. What surprised me is that it takes a good half hour of driving to come up to temp. Haven't done any towing with it yet.

I haven't had any really hot weather to drive in since I installed the gauge but it is supposed to hit 90* here Monday here.

Once my gauge comes up to temp it really doesn't move more than 2 or 3* in city driving.

Last edited by ChiDiver; 09-29-2002 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-04-2002, 11:38 AM
OK, I looked every where and I can't find the test port. Someone help. Anyone using this, will a mechanical temp gauge probe fit in there?

Old 10-04-2002, 02:27 PM
Galaxy

Why are you changing it? I thought and was told by almost everyone on here that the line is the best place to put it. You wanna know what the highest temp the tranny would ever see is, right? Seems to me that would be after it went through the tranny and on it's way to be cooled at the rad and tranny cooler.

Trending Topics

Old 10-04-2002, 04:57 PM
I totally agree. I am trying to troubleshoot a bad gauge. I want to hook it up somewere else and see what happens. I am on my third (yes, three) bad gauge, brand new, from Autometer for the same problem. I find it real hard to believe I got two bad Autometer mechanical temp gauges in a row all with the same problem, and getting ready to try my third. I want to install the probe somewhere else and see what happens. Mainly, I'm trying to find out if it's possible that my gauge is not sticking and in fact that fluid is not flowing through that line or something. Hell, I don't know. I'm so frustrated I know I'm reaching.

Old 10-07-2002, 12:38 AM
Oh, I see. Actually I read in another thread about your troubles after I posted my above statement. Hope you get it figured out. I doubt with a quality guage like Autometer who should get 2 bad ones in a row, now way for 3. Unless there was a big batch of bad ones and then every guage sold from your seller would be bad.

Quick Reply: Trans Temp Gauge--Temp Probe install ???