Shift harder??

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2000, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Shift harder??

How can I make my Automatic shift harder without the use of a superchip?

Old 02-28-2000, 01:06 AM
B&M electronic kit, Trans-go shift kit, Banks Trans Comand(4R100)

Old 02-28-2000, 01:16 AM
OK.......what about them does anyone have any of them do they work, and how much are they????

Old 03-06-2000, 01:11 PM
I just installed a Superchip. I'm still looking for a harder shift.

Help.

Old 03-06-2000, 06:38 PM
Thumbs up

I installed the Banks Trans Command ($269) and I love it. This module increases the fluid line flow pressure at all RPM's and doesn't have a memory that shifts according to your driving habits, so it delivers an excellant shift (like crisp!) all the way around. I know the Trans-Go is quite a bit cheaper, but cannot tell you what is does to make the shift firmer.

------------------
1999 F250SD, XLT, 4x2, SC, V10, 4.30, LT235x85x16R, Longbed, Diamond plate mud flaps,Trailer tow Pkg, Class IV hitch, Camper special, sliding rear window, rear privacy glass, Ford rain gutters, Line-X, Lund wind deflector, Banks Trans Command, Banks tranny temp guage with Auto Meter single guage pod. Reese 15K fifth wheel hitch

Old 03-06-2000, 06:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed the TransGo Shift Kit over a year ago and think it works great. I also have the Superchips.

------------------
97 F-150, 2WD, Reg Cab,Flareside,Dk Toreador Red, Windsor 4.6, Magnecor 8.5mm wires, Bosch Plat +4s, 3.55 LS, EGR Bug Deflector, ******* Bed Cover, Bed Liner, XL Full Length Running Boards, Air Aid Kit, Gibson Single Out Cat Back, Superchips, TransGo Shift Kit, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Hellwig 2500# Overload Springs

Old 03-07-2000, 11:50 AM
I have also heard that the Trans-Go coupled with the SuperChip is a good combo.

Old 03-08-2000, 12:57 AM
I have the B&M electronic shift improver on my 1998 model. it shifts much firmer now, and the unit has 3 settings--level 1, level 2, and "off" (stock shifting). i use level one and am happy with it, plus, B&M tells you not to use level 2 for prolonged periods of time b/c it causes too much heat on the tranny. it is pretty cheap, $40, so it was money well spent in my opinion. i was only looking for firmer shifts, not increased HP or having to use 93 octane gas all the time. hope this helps

------------------
TRUCK: 1998 F-150 S/c, ORP, Lariat, 4.6L V8, auto, Dark toredor red/silver, 60/40 bench, Grey leather
MODS: diamond plated UWS tool box with rails, bedliner, bedmat, custom "true dual" exhaust, heavy duty tow package, tinted front glass, bug shield, husky floor liners for front and rear

Old 03-08-2000, 08:57 AM
Cool

The electronic ones like the B&M shift improver just plug in and control your transmission shifts and line pressure electronically. These are easier to install but do have heat problems associated with both the tranny and the control module from what I have read. B&M also makes a "shift kit" which is like the Trans Go shift kit mentioned in that it actually modifies the vavle body and changes some springs and stuff inside the transmission to make the shifts firmer mechanically instead of electronically. These are probably the best and most reliable way to go...

------------------
Chris Thomas
1998 F-150XLT Flareside STX Sport Package, 4.6L Auto 3.55 Oxford White/Gray interior, Factory Anti-theft system
Picture: http://216.147.104.171/Y2K/members/ChrisT/christ1a.jpg
Homepage: Chris & Brandi's Universe
Mods: A.R.E. Decklid/Oxford White with gray fabric liner, K&N filter with Airbox Mod (removed silencer), Lowered 3" front/5" rear, Tinted Windows, GTS sloted taillight covers (painted Oxford white to match), Removed STX stickers
Audio: Kenwood Truck speakers with 10" woofers, Rockford Fosgate and Alpine Amps, Ford 10 disk CD changer
Future Mods: 20" rims and tires, True duals with Supertrap tunable mufflers, Superchip, Supercharger, Jacobs Ignition, and whatever else I can think of!!!

Old 03-08-2000, 03:53 PM
Cool

Even ORPLariats reply who has it said in an earlier post in this topic said "B&M tells you not to use level 2 for prolonged periods of time b/c it causes too much heat on the tranny". I saw it somewhere else on the board too I believe.

Old 03-09-2000, 12:02 AM
Question

Hum, You say heat problems. I know about the heat issue with the model for the B&M shift inprover, I haven't heard anything about the heat of the trans, where did you read that is causes heat in the trans, B&M web site states that it reduces trans heat.

Don

------------------
Don W
97 F150 4X4, ORP, Tow Package,
CD-Changer, K&N, B&M shift improver,
PIAA fog lights, Weld Rims 17", 265 70LT AT/S.
f1504x4.hompeage.com

Old 03-10-2000, 11:19 AM
Thumbs down

Tried yesterday to buy a B&M kit. Theysaid they dont make one for the 98s. They make them for the 97, but no newer!???? So how is it that some of you with 98s have them? How much is a Trans-go and do you have to tear down the tranny to install?

Black 98

Old 03-10-2000, 03:36 PM
Talking

Hey Guys,

I haven't installed the Banks Trans Command but I have installed the TransGo Performance Shift Kit. It basically works the same way as the Banks, by raising physical line pressure in your trans. I also had my Superchip custom programmed for my supercharger and the firmest shifts possible. I have also installed the B&M Elec. shift kit. I removed it once I installed the TransGo. I have to admit the TransGo was the biggest improvement as far as shift improvement goes. Especially when you add the supercharger in Hope this helps.

98 Nascar Edition

homepage http://www.freeyellow.com/members8/jackhel/index.html

POWERDYNE SUPERCHARGER, SUPERCHIP, AUTOMETER BOOST GAUGE AND POD, K&N FILTER, TRANSGO PERFORMANCE SHIFT KIT, DYNOMAX ULTRA FLOW EXHAUST, GUTTED MAF, 4.10 REAR END GEARS, XTRA BRITE HALOGEN LITES, AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic Motor Oil , G-Tech Pro Series II, AND SOME OTHER STUFF I CAN'T REMEMBER

Old 03-13-2000, 12:45 AM
BLACK98,
I have the B&M on my 98. What you have to do is look at your transmission code (on the sticker on driver door jam) and determine if B&M makes one that fits your code. Their website, and several others, say that it fits 97 model f-150's and ones with certain tranny codes. My tranny code was "U". let me know if you have any more questions.

------------------
TRUCK: 1998 F-150 S/c, ORP, Lariat, 4.6L V8, auto, Dark toredor red/silver, 60/40 bench, Grey leather
MODS: diamond plated UWS tool box with rails, bedliner, bedmat, custom "true dual" exhaust, heavy duty tow package, tinted front glass, bug shield, husky floor liners for front and rear

Old 03-13-2000, 12:49 AM
Which is the tranny code. I gave my VIN # to the guy at NAPA and he called them. They said thet they dont make it.???? Beats me?

Black 98

------------------
Black 98 4x4,4.6l Triton Dark tinted windows, bedliner, factory molded splashguards, K&N filter and airbox modifications,factory fogs added along with Auto headlights, spray-on door sill protectant, Painted (and chrome) throttle cover and other underhood components.

Quick Reply: Shift harder??