Shift harder??

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2000, 02:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black98,
On the white sticker that is located on the driver door pillar, there is an abbreviation for transmission code, something like TRAN and under that abbreviation, there will be a letter. all you have to do is find it and then go to the B&M web site to see if they make one for your tranny code. i think the site is bmracing.com. hope this helps

------------------
TRUCK: 1998 F-150 S/c, ORP, Lariat, 4.6L V8, auto, Dark toredor red/silver, 60/40 bench, Grey leather
MODS: diamond plated UWS tool box with rails, bedliner, bedmat, custom "true dual" exhaust, heavy duty tow package, tinted front glass, bug shield, husky floor liners for front and rear

Old 03-14-2000, 05:53 PM
Cool

Found it mine is a U also. They are sending it up on wednesday. The last thing i would like to know is was it a pain in the *** to install. And was it worth the effort do you notice it any better??

Black 98

------------------
Black 98 4x4,4.6l Triton Dark tinted windows, bedliner, factory molded splashguards, K&N filter and airbox modifications,factory fogs added along with Auto headlights, spray-on door sill protectant, Painted (and chrome) throttle cover and other underhood components.

Old 03-14-2000, 10:59 PM
BLACK98,
As long as you don't rely heavily on the incredibly poor B&M directions, it isn't too bad to install. When you are ready to install it, e-mail me (at WCWF1@aol.com) and I will do my best to walk you through it. It took me a while, simply b/c the directions aren't too specific. But I know i can explain it to you in a clearer way than the directions do.
I did notice a big difference in the shift firmness once it was installed. It was definately $40 well spent in my opinion. However, I personally do not like the shifter to be turned on while in very slow stop and go traffic, that is just my personal preferance, you might not mind it. I think it is too firm a shift for such slow traffic. especially the atlanta traffic!! hope this helps!

------------------
TRUCK: 1998 F-150 S/c, ORP, Lariat, 4.6L V8, auto, Dark toredor red/silver, 60/40 bench, Grey leather
MODS: diamond plated UWS tool box with rails, bedliner, bedmat, custom "true dual" exhaust, heavy duty tow package, tinted front glass, bug shield, husky floor liners for front and rear

Old 03-15-2000, 03:50 PM
Talking

ORPLariat,

I tried to send you an email but it was returned. Invalid address, Oh well.

I finally have the thing in my hand. It seems to be very simple. The only questiopn that I have is where is the PCM located. Also is that where you hooked yours up at or did you use the plug at the tranny? Also where is your module located at in your cab??

Black 98

------------------
Black 98 4x4,4.6l Triton Dark tinted windows, bedliner, factory molded splashguards, K&N filter and airbox modifications,factory fogs added along with Auto headlights, spray-on door sill protectant, Painted (and chrome) throttle cover and other underhood components.

Old 03-15-2000, 06:58 PM
BLACK98,
The PCM is located up and behind the passenger kick panel, it is a silver box. I hooked mine up there, but in order to get to where the connection is, you must remove the battery, the battery cover, and the tray it sits in, b/c the PCM wire loom is actually underneath the hood. The wire loom connects to the PCM directly behind the battery, where the PCM comes through the firewall. I hope this helps you some, I know it may sound confusing, but once you remove the battery, you can see that bundle of wires connecting to the PCM.
I have the unit mounted in the cab so that it is hidden from view, it is up under the dash on the passenger side, i used the supplied velcro strips and shoved the excess wire under the carpet, BUT make sure you mount the black relay box, the one that is small and rectangular shaped, in a way so that it isn't touching any carpet or woires, b/c it gets REAL hot!! let me know if you have anymore questions.

------------------

Old 03-15-2000, 07:36 PM
Cool

Thancks for the help. I just started tearing it apart. I figuered it out after about 10 minutes. I mounted my switch in the small pocket in the dash. just to the right and below the steering wheel. I cut a hole in the back and shoved the wires through. Now I can reach it from the drivers seat. With it mounted to the top of the opening it looks like it is supposed to be there.

Took it out for a drive and it works great. Thanks for the advise and the help. Havent had a chance to use to 2 possition yet. Have to make a 400 mile trip tomarrow so I can really try it out. Which possition gets best milage while towing? 1 or stock?

Thanks for all that wrote and gave advise!!
Black 98

Old 03-16-2000, 01:17 AM
BLACK98,
I'm glad the advise helped, and it's good to know that you are satisfied with it so far. I usually keep mine on the "1" position, unless I am in heavy stop and go traffic, then I turn it to stock. thats just my personal preferance though. Level 2 is much firmer than 1, and from what I have read on this board, it's not good to drive with it in level 2 for prolonged periods of time, I think B&M even states that in the package. I have not had the opportunity to hook up my motorcycle trailer with all the bikes on it yet, but I would imagine that it'll be a much better feeling shift than stock for towing. let me know how it goes.

------------------

Old 03-17-2000, 09:52 PM
The only bad thing that i can see with towing with the 2 position on is that it shifts alittle harder than I wanted. When it shifted in this position it seemed like you just got a good load shift. I think that now I have a Ujount going out. It now has a good clunk. Especially when towing a load. The load i was towing was also an SUV(Pathfinder).

It does shift alittle harder but it isnt like a more power shift. Ohh well...but I cant really tell anything different in the 3position. Maybe that is just me though. One thing I did notice is the little box gets damn hot. I mounted mine to the support brace for the steering column. This acts almost as a heat sink though.

Black 98

------------------
Black 98 4x4,4.6l Triton Dark tinted windows, bedliner, factory molded splashguards, K&N filter and 3in fresh air airbox modifications,B&M Shift Plus,factory fogs added along with Blue bulbs and Auto headlights, spray-on door sill protectant, Painted (and chrome) throttle cover and other underhood components.

Quick Reply: Shift harder??