clutch free shifting?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2000, 04:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question clutch free shifting?

I was just curious on other peoples thoughts about not using the clutch once you are moving. It seems that I can get a pretty smooth upshift without the clutch, but downshifting takes some RPM matching.

Thoughts?

Mark

------------------
My first Baby:
2000 SC XLT Bright Red, 4.2L, 5speed, 3" intake mod

My Second Baby:
My Daughter is Due in April

Old 03-18-2000, 06:54 PM
Banned
Exclamation

I hadn't heard of anyone doing that in a coon's age. You'd really have to be rpm conscious and understand the inner workings of your transmission to avoid boogering up the synchros. I have known people to do it, but as a last resort type deal when their clutch is ready to give (or already has) just to get somewhere so they can replace the clutch.

Old 03-18-2000, 07:53 PM
Thumbs down

I had a Chevette once and the clutch cable broke about 40 miles from home. I managed to to power shift that little piece of junk all the way home. I wouldn't try that with a transmission I was planning on keeping for a long time. The synchros are meant to bring to sets of gears up to the same speed before the gears actuallly mesh. They will have a very hard time doing that with one set being controlled by the engine, and the other by the drive shaft. If your engine speed is just right you can accomplish this, if not you put a lot of wear on your synchros, and on the gear teeth. You can also bend the shifter forks doing this if your not careful.

Quick Reply: clutch free shifting?